Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First time to WDW - am I going to be disappointed or thrilled?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time to WDW - am I going to be disappointed or thrilled?

It looks like it's finally going to happen. I'm going to get to go to WDW for the first time in June with my mom and kids. Right now, I'm totally excited.

We're staying at the Marriott International (have to go with a school group). Do we drive to WDW and park? Is parking free?

Is it going to be horribly humid? I've never really been to Florida either.

Are the rides at Magic Kingdom better or worse? I've heard both.

Is Pal Mickey worth the money?

Best places to eat?

I have a zillion questions, and have researched a bunch on other threads. Thanks for the map tip - mine are on the way!

Okay, that should do it for now. Any advice would be very helpful!
    sigpic
    Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

Re: First time to WDW - am I going to be disappointed or thrilled?

Originally posted by BFJen View Post
    Do we drive to WDW and park? Is parking free?
    Yes and no.

Is it going to be horribly humid?
    Of course, this is the case whether it's hot or cold.

Worse, mostly. Snow White's ride actually makes sense, and the Pooh dark ride is better, and that's about it.

Frankly, if you've got one and only one shot to experience WDW I'd focus my efforts on Epcot. It's the most unique experience with very little SoCal representation.

MK doesn't really offer much to the DL vet. You'll be knocked over with just how big everything (castle especially) is, and those who remember the Before Pressler era will gush when you see the peoplemovers rolling along and the rockets spinning high in the air. But outside of a few nostalgic C-ticket experiences, it's not really all it's cracked up to be.

DL is better than any single WDW park, however the resort on the whole beats DLR. MK looks like DL on steroids, although it's beauty is largely skin deep and it's difficult to avoid comparing the two. Like I said, Epcot is a far more unique experience so if you have one chance to run into WDW and do something, do that. Parking is also a little less of a hassle there since the trams are just outside the entrance instead of MK where you have to board a monorail or a boat to travel between the parking lot and the park.

No.

Best places to eat?
    MK: Nowhere. Almost everything that isn't a fast food counter is a character meal. You'll have to leave the park, get on the Monorail and ride to Polynesian or Grand Floridian.

Epcot: Many good options.

MGM: Two or maybe three good options

DAK: One or maybe two good options.

If you can give more details about how much time you have to see the place and what it is you want to do most, I'll certainly volunteer advice to help you plan most effectively.

Comment

I think you will have a great time! Seeing the castle for the first time at the Magic Kingdom is very exciting!
      If you are staying off property then it will cost you $10 a day to park your car.
      Food is fun at Disney:
      Magic Kingdom-Our favorite sit-down restaurant is Liberty Tree Tavern. Yummy!!! It is cheaper at lunch. At the Sleepy Hollow bakery they have warm toll house cookies. You can get them as an ice cream sandwich!!
      Epcot-Chefs of France is great! Cantina de San Angel (Mexico) is really good. Akershus in Norway used to be our favorite-not really any more. The pastery shop in France has this thing called a Napoleon-get one, you won't be disappointed!
      At MGM we like Pizza Planet and the ABC Commissary.
      At Animal Kingdom we usually go to Pizzafari (We really like pizza!) We have also been to Flame Tree BBQ.

I hope this helps. I would be glad to answer any more questions.

Comment

You will not be disappointed. There's so much to do; for me it was overload.

You'll have a great time!

Comment

Yes, so far very helpful!!!

We are going for 7 days - I think 5 at WDW - I think we're going to try for one day at Sea World.

My kids are 6 and 8 - both boys. They love Goofy's Kitchen at DL, but I think it's a little pricey for what it is, but oh well - vacation!!!
          sigpic

Comment

Congrats on your first trip :yea: You'll :love: it.

I'm a born and raised D-lander and WDW NEVER disappoints me!

My philosophy is to remember that WDW is WDW not DL and vice versa. I read about people comparing all the Disney parks, this ride vs that, etc. I take each park and attraction for what it is and enjoy the individuality of each. I disagree about the MK having very little to offer a DL vet. I LOVE the MK and enjoy every minute I'm there.

A
            s for restaurants, you are in for a treat! The options and selections are endless. Try the dining section on allearsnet.com for a condensed version of all the menus from all park and resort restaurants. And make any ADR's for table sitting NOW! The good restaurants fill up fast.
            Here are some of our favs:
            AK -
            Flame Tree BBQ, Tusker House
            MGM - 50s Prime Time, Sci fi Dine in
            Epcot - Le Cellier in Canada (THE BEST-a never miss for us), Garden Grill in the Land, Teppanyaki in Japan
            MK - Liberty Tree Tavern
            Wilderness Lodge - Whispering Canyon
            Fort Wilderness - Hoop de Doo
            Animal Kingdom Lodge - Boma
            DTD Marketplace - Earl of Sandwich!

Good luck planning, it's half the fun. Well, maybe only 10%.
            ~~Jodi~~
            Next WDW trip coming up 10-5-10 to 10-15-10, Wilderness Lodge Villas. :yea:

Comment

It is our job here to help first timers. Feel free to ask any question.
              To answer some of your's:
              You are required to pay I believe $11 in order to park at any of the 4 parks. However, if you decide to park hop using your car, the fee will be waived upon arrival to your second park.
              Florida is very humid at times. It can also get pretty hot in June.
              I cannot tell you wheter the rides at MK are btter than the ones at DLR since I have not yet experienced those rides. I can tell you that if you approach the MK with a mentality of just going there for the rides, then that would not be very good.
              From what I have heard, Pal Mickey is a useful tool to tell you a little about each attraction. Personally, I would not purchase it because I have no need for it. But for a first timer, I would recomend it.
              With about 2,000 different places to eat on property, it is very difficult to select the best. Of course Victoria and Alberts is expected to be the best but it is all based on personal preference. I really like the Garden Grill in the Land pavillion of EPCOT. I always make sure that I get a burger at The Plaza Restaurant in MK. The Backlot Express is a great counterservice option in Studios but I would go with The Brown Derby for a Table Service meal. Last but not least, The Flame Tree Barbeque has amazing Pulled Pork Sandwiches in AK.
              I hope that I have answered your questions. Enjoy your trip.

Oh! One more thing, DO NOT RUSH through the parks thinking that you can see everything. Trust me, you can't since the property is so expansive.
              sigpic

Originally posted by Phonedave
              Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

Comment

So then, what is the one "must-do" in each park??!!
                sigpic

Comment

Hi BFJen,

I'm so excited for you - you're going to have a GREAT time! Since you'll have several days at WDW, yeah - definitely don't rush. I do agree with the spending more time at Epcot - people may talk about how it's past its prime, but it's still a fantastic, unique park.

Here is my list of must-do's (although it's subjective)

MK - PhilharMagic. Ride the TTA for nostalgia's sake.

Epcot - Spaceship Earth, Mission Space (Future World). I also highly recommend spending a good portion of the day wandering through World Showcase. Every pavilion offers something different - and fun - to enjoy. I really liked the fact that the shops all sold food items specific to that country. And, the street performers are a lot of fun too.

AK - Everest wasn't open yet, but I'm sure that's a must-do. The Dinosaur ride was okay.

MGM - The Great Movie Ride has seen better days, but it's still fun. The Rock 'n' Roller Coaster is great. And ToT is amazing. (very different from DL's version). And if you can, get reservations to eat at the Sci-Fi Diner. It's a lot of kitschy fun.

And maybe I'm just a dork, but I liked riding the monorail and stopping at all the hotels (Contemporary, Polynesian, Grand Floridian) to walk around the grounds and take in the sights. And, I absolutely love, love LOVE how you ride the ferry to enter the Magic Kingdom - that's magic.
                  She did it!

Comment

I know this is like forecasting the weather, but is going to be crowded, or is it a little better since it is so much bigger and spread out -

Oh, and are there any fastpass tips? (Like the disconnected rides at DL?)
                    sigpic

Comment

It looks like it's finally going to happen. I'm going to get to go to WDW for the first time in June with my mom and kids. Right now, I'm totally excited.

We're staying at the Marriott International (have to go with a school group). Do we drive to WDW and park? Is parking free?

Is it going to be horribly humid? I've never really been to Florida either.

Best places to eat?

I have a zillion questions, and have researched a bunch on other threads. Thanks for the map tip - mine are on the way!

Okay, that should do it for now. Any advice would be very helpful!
                      if your close to WDW, drive and park. parking costs about $9 i think it is.
                      Right now it is not humid in jville. plus orlando is i the center of the state, far from coasts. humidity is less noticable, but it may be warm there.
                      MK is better ti me. but that is coming from someone who goes there just because. but i think that rides at WDW are a bit better.
                      Pal mickey is not worth the money as far as what i have heard.
                      Grand floridian has some nice places. sci-fi dine in is very nice. the village haus is a cure place to go because you can watch ppl go on small world and start going crazy i like a lof of places at epcot. they have so much diverse food. once i had ginger flavored ice creac- a first for me in japan. my best time at WDW eating was at the polynesian. they have a spirit of aloha celebration with amazing food and a show comes along with it with hawaiian dancers. the ohana breakfast is very nice because it has a character parade with it tha land at epcot is very nice and is the perfect place to wait for your fastpasses for soarin' and test track to become valid
                      I hope you enjoy your time at WDW! oh, and if you can, take some pics of the contemporary being knocked down. i hear that the north garden wing is totally demolished! BoomCrash!
                      ADD ME.[:

WHAT I'VE LEARNED FROM MICECHAT...
                      1. IF YOU APPRECIATE SOMETHING THAT ISN'T THE MAJORITY OPINION, YOU'RE NOT WANTED HERE.
                      2. IF THERE'S CHIPPED PAINT IN THE QUEUE FOR A LINE, EXPECT SOMEONE TO WRITE OUT A BIG STORY BASHING IT. WOOHOO.
                      3. IF YOU'RE UNDER THE AGE OF 24, YOU'RE AN 'EISNER BRAT.'
                      4. PEOPLE WHO ARE DEEMED AS 'MODERATORS' AND OTHER ADMINISTRATION ARE MORE IMPORTANT DIETIES THAN JESUS CHRIST.
                      5. YOU CAN EXCPECT TO BE BADLY REPPED IF YOU TRY AND MAKE A SERIOUS POINT.
                      6. YOU ARENT TAKEN SERIOUS IF YOU'RE UNDER THE AGE OF 16.
                      7. AS AN ADD-ON TO #6, YOU SHOULD BE TREATED AS A SUBORDINATEIF YOU ARE IN A THEME PARK WAITING 30 MINUTES IN LINE FOR A DRINK WHILE SOMEONE HAS TO RECOUNT PIZZAS.
                      8. "Disney may not care to hear your comments, but we do." WTFFF??? THIS ISN'T A DISNEY FAN FORUM, IT'S A DISNETY BASHING SITE.
                      9. CERTAIN PEOPLE OVER ANALYZE A SIMPLE THREAD AND CONSIDER IT TO BE A CONTRACT FULL OF LOOPHOLES THAT HE/SHE CAN GET AROUND.
                      AND FINALLY...
                      10. PROLONGED USE OF THIS SITE CAN CAUSE AN EXTREME HATE OF DISNEY AND ALL DISNEY RELATED THINGS.

M-U-H Muhfukka.
                      [:

Comment

Considering you're a DL vet I would recommend...

MK: Philharmagic, TTA, Astro Orbitors (actually in the air), Splash Mt (very different), Space Mt (very different), Pirates (just to laugh at MK's version), Haunted Mansion (ditto), Big Thunder (very different), Carousel of Progress
                        Skip: Buzz (worse at MK and nothing extra)

Epcot: Test Track, Mission Space, all of World Showcase, Spaceship Earth
                        Skip: Soarin' (exact same), HISTA (exact same)

Studios: Tower of Terror (wayyy better at WDW), Rock'n Roller Coaster, Great Movie Ride
                        Skip: Star Tours (exact same), Muppets (pretty much the same)

AK: Dinosaur, Everest, Kiliminjaro Safari, more or less depending on how much you enjoy animals
                        Skip: It's tough to be a bug (exact same)

Comment

For me,

MK: Philharmagic....a wonderful 3D show that can only be seen here and HKDL. If you're a DL vet, this is a must-do at a park filled with many similar attractions from DL

Epcot: Mission:Space, orange version. If you fear spinning, do the green version. Test Track and Spaceship Earth are also must dos.

MGM: Tower of Terror, different and in many ways better than DCAs. Also Rockin' Roller Coaster and The Great Movie Ride are must dos for this park.

AK: Kilamanjaro Safaris or Expedition Everest are the tops not only at this park, but the entire resort imo. Also, check out the new Finding Nemo show, one of Disney's best theme park shows anywhere.

WDW as a resort is an exceptional place and will likely be overwhelming to a first time visitor, but don't let that scare you. It is best to make a plan for each park on what you want to see no matter what. Always allow time to cool off during the day. If possible, go early and conquer what you can, but don't forget to take in the atmosphere. Then, relax in the afternoon....go to Downtown Disney for a nice meal, head back to your hotel for a brief nap or swim in the pool, if you get the Water Park option, consider relaxing at a water park. Then go back to the parks at night. With the scale of the resort and the possible hot and humid conditions in Florida in the summer, it is best to remember to take an afternoon break. Just remember that whatever you plan on doing, that the resort is spread out and it isn't a simple walk or even just a short drive necessarily from place to place. Even though you are not staying at a WDW resort hotel, you can still use the transportation to and from the parks and resort hotels. However, there are no buses between DTD and any of the theme parks. Since it sounds like you will have a car, I suggest driving from place to place, it can often be quicker depending on the time of day and destination.

If you have time, also consider checking out the other things on property other than the main parks, such as eating a dinner or two at one of the deluxe resort restaurtants. My favorites are Boma at Animal Kingdom Lodge, Beaches and Cream at The Beach Club, Ohana's at The Polynesian, California Grill at the Contemporary and any of the restaurants along the Boardwalk. Also fun are the two Mini golf courses. Some say there are better, cheaper, more challenging courses off property, but I've never had more fun than at Disney's golf courses, which are among the best themed that I've seen.

Have fun, plan ahead, take time to relax and most of all enjoy your visit to the most magical place on earth!!!
                          Last edited by CTXRover; 04-06-2007, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Must Sees in my opinion

Magic Kingdom:

- Philharmagic (Definately my favorite thing there)
                            - Buzz Lightyear (I just have a lot of fun beating my husband at the score)

Epcot

- Testtrack (My favorite)
                            - Mission Space
                            - Can't remember the proper name but you know... the big ball

MGM

- I didn't like MGM

Animal Kingdom

-Loved the Dinosaur Ride
                            -Safari ride as long as the animals are out... one time we went and the most exciting thing were these ant hills

The best place to eat by far is EPCOT.

I recommend going to the place in the Land (well I'm having a brain toot here but it's the place where Soarin' is)

They have a super variety and I don't eat meat anymore but their chicken caesar salad was huge and wonderful when I had it... They have everything from sandwiches to sushi and the staff was very friendly. My favorite thing about this place to eat though... SEATING! They have lots of places for large groups and since I always go with a family of 7 or 8 it's very nice.

Magic Kingdom... the best place is Pinnochio's because I think it has the best variety and I really used to like the turkey panini. Plus if you're lucky you can get a seat by the window and watch people going on the boats at Small World. Pretty good seating too!

What I DO NOT recommend at EPCOT
                            - The new Finding Nemo ride (Oh and yes there is a little scary part that small children won't like)
                            - The energy ride with Ellen (she's great but I honestly fell asleep and you see dinosaurs for about 4 seconds)

What I DO NOT recommend at MK
                            - Do not eat in Tomorrowland unless you feel like waiting in the chicken line for chicken and then the burger line for burgers and then the salad line for salads. We a family of 8 had to crowd around two really teeny tiny tables. The seating stinks!
                            - Snow White's ride for small children.... when it says scary... to little ones it really is. I didn't remember it being scary so I took my four year old on it. Let's just say my video of her goes from pretty snow white and her smiling to her going NO NO NO.... and then I turned it off.

Fireworks.... at the magic kingdom I always like to watch by the race track or in Toon Town... even since they added by the castle.

I recommend an umbrella stroller... a cheap one if you need one because the stroller rentals are pricey and they tip over easy. Plus it's hard to find yours in the sea of blue strollers and heaven forbid you have a common last name like Smith HAHA!

If you have little girls... yes the wait to see the princesses in Toon town is well worth the wait because they spend really nice time with each one and it's just a wonderful magic moment for the tots.

As for weather... it will be very very hot and very very humid so be prepared to buy lots of beverages. Also... try to buy your own ponchos in case of rain if you have a large group... It's really easy to lose a yellow poncho'd person in about a bazillion other yellow poncho people. It feels a bit like Where's Waldo...

Hope I helped some

Comment

These are all great tips - you're all helping tremendously! Feel free to keep dishing it out!
                              sigpic

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X