This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discovery Island

Does anybody know what has become of this closed attraction nowadays? What state it is in, and whether or not the set dressings are still there? Are there any plans nowadays to rehabilitate this poor island?

Re: Discovery Island

Last I heard it's covered in zombies. Ever see the new Dawn of the Dead?

Okay i lied, I'd just like to know too. Anyone?

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

Comment

Funny to see the word Zombie, next to that "WTF" expression on your avatar! LOL!!!

Anyways... Discovery Island, formerly Treasure Island in the 70's... well, what can I say... rumors have abound in regards to this little lot in the middle of Bay Lake. Some said it was being concidered as a Honeymoon retreat for high rollers willing to pay for a weekend out there. Others have hinted about the possibility of turning the island into a group participation game area. But honestly? I think Disney has no plans to do anything with and probably have already forgotten they own it!

Comment

i thought they maintained it as a bird sanctuary...

meaning barely anything.. but enough to walk around when needed..

don't they sometimes have a party or something go on over there??

Comment

Party? In that croc and snake infested island?

Comment

which island is this exactly?? what used to be there in the 70's as treasure island??
            "Beware of hitchhiking ghosts"

Comment

Treasure Island was exactly what Discovery Island was: A small zoo, with many animals, critters and even tortoises... Guests would arrive by boat and take the trail around the island. I personally liked the enclosed aviarium, with it's elevated bridge. Once DAK opened, there was no reason to keep this opened anymore, reason why they closed it. I'd suppose.

BTW..this is the small island in the middle of Bay Lake, behind the Contemporary Hotel. Very visible from Wilderness Lodge and Fort Wilderness areas. Guests could buy tickets to it by itself or buy the River Country/Discovery Island combo ticket, and visit both. Sad both locations are now history.

Comment

You'd think with it's previous name somebody is thinking studio-park synergy. They could even giv eit some obnoxious name like Pirates Lair at Bay Lake Isle - Inpiried by Walt Disney Picture's Pirates of the Carribean.

Comment

Discovery Island is AK's hub now, right?

Click the banner! ^^^^
                  Follow us on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by lazyboy970
                    You'd think with it's previous name somebody is thinking studio-park synergy. They could even giv eit some obnoxious name like Pirates Lair at Bay Lake Isle - Inpiried by Walt Disney Picture's Pirates of the Carribean.
                    Maybe you should submit that idea to Burbank. I much rather see that done out there than taking Tom Sawyer's island and turning it into a Pirate themed hands on activity area, like they are doing at DL.

Originally posted by Pizzapants
                    Discovery Island is AK's hub now, right?
                    Same idea but not necesarily an identical copy of what Discovery Island was at the time.. but definitely a commonality in theme and execution... streams, waterfalls, foliage, critters and other small animals and birds.. and tacky dressed tourist.

Comment

wow...i always wondered what that island was there for, somehow I don't remember it at all
                      "Beware of hitchhiking ghosts"

Comment

Originally posted by TDLFAN View Post
                        Same idea but not necesarily an identical copy of what Discovery Island was at the time.. but definitely a commonality in theme and execution... streams, waterfalls, foliage, critters and other small animals and birds.. and tacky dressed tourist.
                        Same name too, right?

Click the banner! ^^^^
                        Follow us on Twitter

Comment

Didn't they rename the former Discovery Island in Bay Lake to Riles Island to differentiate itself when they renamed Safari Village in Animal Kingdom to Discovery Island?
                          ~ Tokyo DisneySeas Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

Comment

Too bad the ABC show Lost won't have legs enough to keep its popularity. I would much rather see that on a rethemed island than more Pirates.
                            It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

Comment

I was really young, but I remember the tortoises, and the front of the brochure/map. That's about it. I'm guessing we did the Discovery Island/River Country combo ticket because I definitely remember River Country and the wicked sunburn I got (did parents not use sunscreen on their kids in the late 70s/early 80s???).
                              "I'm working on changing Hollywood...at the studio that fired me twice."
                              --John Lasseter

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X