Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WDI's Counter Attack for Potter -- Ideas?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WDI's Counter Attack for Potter -- Ideas?

Alright, you all heard the news about Harry Potter at Islands of Adventure. Disney World needs to come up with something GOOD to even come close to competing.

So what would do it for you? What would you want to see at Disney World? It's an exciting time right now where almost any grand idea you never thought possible... just may get considered.

So let's hear / read your thoughts and ideas about what disney can possibly do to keep your business. (if you want to talk about harry potter only, there's another thread in the non disney parks section).

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Re: WDI's Counter Attack for Potter -- Ideas?

Why do they need to do anything? They already have more parks and a better entertainment district.
    "He who knows only his own side of the case, knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them. But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side; if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion" --John Stuart Mill

Comment

Beastlie Kingdomme would fit into a genre fight.

I'd be more into more Disney. Make the Magic Kingdom sparkle with magic. Get EPCOT Center off of its narrowing tangent and back into big ideas. Don't make Disney-MGM Studios a heap of random ideas. Disney wins when Disney acts like [Walt] Disney.

Comment

If you think about the popularity of Harry Potter in terms of it's broad family appeal and staying power then I can only think of one thing that Disney could use to counter PotterPark and that would be LucusLand.

I hope they start their grovelling at the feet of ILM early and with sincerity.

Imagine "Soaring over California" type attraction re-themed to "Attack on the Death Star" complete with 4D elements from Universals Terminator attraction.
        Last edited by Moonliner; 05-31-2007, 12:21 PM.
        "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

Comment

I agree, they don't really need to do anything to really compete with it. They have four theme parks, two water parks, Downtown Disney, Pleasure Island, Disney Quest, Cirque du Soleil, among other things. For example, we're about to go next weekend. We're staying eight nights, 10 people with some small children, and we're staying the entire time on Disney property. I'd love to have scheduled a visit to IOA in there, but quite honestly there isn't enough time, unless we really wanted to run the kids into the ground.

Universal, as it stands now, is a 2 day attraction, which could maybe be stretched into 3 days. They don't have a lot to offer, especially IOA, for younger kids to ride. So while people will come to see the new Harry Potter park, if they're staying for a decent length of time, they're going to probably hit Disney as well. So in a sense, the new Harry Potter park will benefit Disney. If somebody came for a week, stayed for three nights at Universal and then went to Disney for four, it's the first four days on the Disney tickets that cost the most anyway.

The best thing Disney could do is to make sure their parks are cleaned up, make sure the AA's are working properly, but other than that, I think they're in a good position already.

Also, consider that the final Harry Potter book is coming out in less than two months. The 6th film should probably be released next year, with the last film in 2009. So once the series is done, it will still have its fans, but will they be enough to support an entire theme park all year long? I haven't read too much on it, but from what I've read, the Harry Potter park is being mentioned as a theme park within IOA. Does that mean they will require separate admission just for that portion? And Universal doesn't always do the best job in execution, so there's still a lot more to see before Disney needs to start worrying.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Cactus View Post
            Also, consider that the final Harry Potter book is coming out in less than two months. The 6th film should probably be released next year, with the last film in 2009. So once the series is done, it will still have its fans, but will they be enough to support an entire theme park all year long? I haven't read too much on it, but from what I've read, the Harry Potter park is being mentioned as a theme park within IOA. Does that mean they will require separate admission just for that portion? And Universal doesn't always do the best job in execution, so there's still a lot more to see before Disney needs to start worrying.
            I was thinking about this too. Rowling, as I understand, is very controlling of her characters and the Harry Potter universe. Will she allow an Expanded Universe like Lucas has with Star Wars?

Comment

WDI needs to fix what is broken [cough]Magic Kingdom[/cough] instead of making something to compete with USO. Disney really needs to get it's priorities in order. Sure it is nice to have a great E-ticket every couple of years but is that what is really needed to bring the magic back?
              sigpic

Originally posted by Phonedave
              Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

Comment

Originally posted by WDW Monorail View Post
                WDI needs to fix what is broken [cough]Magic Kingdom[/cough] instead of making something to compete with USO.
                Don't forget *cough*Epcot*coughhackwheeze*.

Comment

Originally posted by aimster View Post
                  Don't forget *cough*Epcot*coughhackwheeze*.
                  EPCOT is currently feeling some love so I decided not to add that in my post. But you are right since some aspects of the park do tend to be neglected.
                  sigpic

Originally posted by Phonedave
                  Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

Comment

Alright, maybe I used the wrong terminology with "compete" because I can't see Disney adding anything of that magnitude to any of their parks right now. But there's certainly a lot they can do in EACH park to clean it up and provide more offerings.

They can update the Tomorrowland Speedway. We all know it needs it. They can come up with something to take over the old Lagoon in Fantasyland. They can go forward with Fire Mountain like they originally planned.

THEY CAN TAKE DOWN THE WAND!!!!!

MGM seems to have a lot more Pixar surgery in the coming years but they need something more significant.

Animal Kingdom can do better with more C or D ticket family attractions. Jungle Book river dark ride would be a nice addition to Asia. Lion King in Africa. And yah... BEASTLY KINGDOM!!! Clean up Dinoland USA. I don't like the cheesy tourist trap angle they have on it. There's so much potential for a lot more NON-FILM inspired dino attractions.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
                    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
                    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

Hmmmmm..... now what fantasy blockbuster does Disney have under its sleeves? Hmmmmm...... like maybe a whole other world that is filled with evil queens and deep magic....... Oh I don't know...... something like.... Narnia? Seriously though, I think they should tear down the backlot tour and build a whole new Narnia land in its place.

And if they wanted to do something else.... well.... what uber-franchise does Disney already work with now but only has one attraction and a yearly event for........ something that has a lot of, ummmmm, force to it? Some place far far away?
                      You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality. - Walt Disney

Comment

Originally posted by Coheteboy View Post
                        THEY CAN TAKE DOWN THE WAND!!!!!
                        I know that the EPCOT wand has been blamed for many of the ills of mankind , but quite honestly I'd rather they take any money they could spend on taking it down and using it for upkeep on other parks, or towards new attractions. It just doesn't bother me that much.

Comment

Originally posted by lazyboy97O View Post
                          Beastlie Kingdomme would fit into a genre fight.
                          That would be my choice, or Narnia shaped from the Beastly Kingdomme ideas
                          www.jamboeveryone.com
                          Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

sigpic

Comment

Maybe they could do a better idea to counter how awesome Halloween Horror Nights is going to be with Potter themed land. TNBC isn't going to cut it, because whether you know it or not, USF get's it's big 'boom' in attendance in October. (I go 4 days during HHN, compared to the 2 days I go during any other time during the year)

Comment

Hmm, I caN't think of Anything Really that DisNey that Is similAr to Harry Potter and could compete with it.
                              "If we cut the budget are you going to be the one standing at the exit explaining to guests why the ride they just rode is a piece of crap?" - - John Lasseter

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X