This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WDW Trip Report 5/31 to 6/6

So I just got back from sunny (and hot as hell) Orlando, and here is my first ever trip report...

I have never done this before, so bear with me....

DAY 1: Arrival and Disney Studios
    I took off from Newark Airport at around 8:20am, my friend and his wife and kids met me at the airport (My other friend who was already in florida, she was driving up and meeting us on Friday). My friends wife's sister and her girlfriend (they were going for gay days) had taken an earlier flight, so they were already in Orlando when we got there. Our plane was pretty booked with the majority of passengers heading down to WDW for that big gay days thing. It was funny at one point in the flight, a passenger next to me who was gay saw my friend walking to me with his new baby girl and said to his friend "oh look a gay father with his daughter" so I naturally laughed, as he did not know that that was my friend... So when he got to my row I made sure to ask him how his wife was doing. Anyway, after that the flight was pretty much routine and we landed on time. Once in Orlando we all made our way to our hotel... The stunning Holiday Inn Sunspree After we all checked into our rooms, and relaxed, we decided to hit our first park of the trip:

Disney Studios

When we got to Disney Studios, I found out that the 5 day park hopper I had purchased last year was empty, with the exception of 2 waterpark visits... So I had to go and purchase a new 5 day park hopper, $325 later, we were on our way into the park.

We immediately made a beeline for Tower of Tower and Aerosmith, as we wanted to get them out of the way. We got Fast Passes for ToT and then did the single rider line for Aerosmith. After getting off Aerosmith, we headed over to ToT, and it took us exactly 70secs to walk from the gate to the pre-show library room. There was absolutely NO line for the ride... Anyway, after that ride, we headed over to the Little Mermaid Show. I passed on that ride and went on Great Movie Ride. My guide was ok, he seemed to be into it, but other than that, its just the same ride that either needs to be updated or killed. Seriously, I love that ride, but man I dont even think the ripley animatronic was working. After I got off the ride, I met my friends at the little mermaid show, and we walked around the park a little, until we got to the Honey I shrunk the kids playset. My niece (I call her that, even though there is no relation) loved it, she had a blast. After we left there, we sat down and had a beer, and then decided to call it a day.

Here are some pics. I hope you enjoy... If you dont, I dont care

DAY 2: ANIMAL KINGDOM

So we got up nice and early on Friday, and headed over to Animal Kingdom. I was especially excited, because it would be my first opportunity to ride Everest. We got to the park and I had everyone give me their tickets, so I could get FP's for Everest. After I got them, and headed back to the main entrance, we walked over to Africa to ride the Kilimanjaro Safari. It had a 40min standby line, so we got in line, and waited. When we got on the ride, it was a little boring, as it seemed most of the animals were hiding in shaded areas, so we didnt see much... I actually enjoyed the new storyline that was being used, as I was never a big fan of the big red/little red/poachers storyline. I mean why does every Disney ride have to tell a story? Its a safari, let the animals tell the story. Well anyway, after we got off that ride, we headed over to the train to take us to the petting zoo area, so my niece could pet some wild and exotic goats... After that, we headed over to everest and I have to say that was one hell of a ride. Also, that Animatronic Yeti was amazing. The first time I saw it, I was amazed at how lifelike it looked. I give props to Disney Imagineers on that one. After Everest was done, we walked over to Dinoland USA. My niece and her aunt (again no relation, that just what she calls us) took her on the triceratop spin ride, and I went on that primeval whirl ride. It was cool, but nothing to write home about. Unfortunately after getting off that ride, it started to rain, thanks to Tropical Storm Barry. So our day at AK, was cut short. DAMN!!!!

At night we had an awesome dinner at this place I never really heard of before... Ohana's??? I cant for the life of me remember who said to eat there. Oh wait it was me, since its my favorite restaurant on property. As we were eating, I think I had about 8 pieces of the pork cutlet, and our waiter called me the "Champion of Pork" I thought that was funny... I mean why couldnt he call me the "Champion of Shrimp?" I had enough of those as well.

After dinner, we got to watch the fireworks from Ohana's but because of cloud cover, most of them were not visible... Oh well... maybe next time.

Here are some pics from AK:

I think this next picture, is the best I took this entire trip:

Oh and while at Ohana's, I decided to stop in the gift shop in the lobby of the Polynesian hotel and this damn tiki decided to get fresh with me... After this pic was taken, I turned around and kicked him in his coconuts... (LOL, I just thought this was a really funny picture to take):

So moving right along......

DAY 4: Magic Kingdom

So I woke up Saturday to the rain hitting my hotel window, thanks to TS Barry. I put on the weather, and was informed that it was passing rather quickly and should be out of the Orlando Area by the afternoon. So the 4 of us got in the car and headed over to the MK. The park was INSANE!! It was basically a sea of red t-shirts ( I assume this was the designated saturday park for the gay days meet? Oh, and btw... I give them credit for their shirts. On the front it said "Zippity do dah" and on the back it said "Zippity Gay" Sorry if I spelled it wrong). So we had to not only deal with weekend crowds but the gay days meet as well.

Anyway, we headed over to Pirates to get that out of the way, since it was only 30mins. I must say the final Jack Sparrow looks so real it was eerie. I mean you could actually make yourself think it was really Johnny Depp sitting there rocking that chair.

After Pirates, my friend and I took his daughter on Jungle Cruise, and I have to say the skipper of our cruise, TIM, was hysterical. He had the entire boat laughing.

Next came Splash Mountain. For some reason the seats that we were in (the last 2 rows) got the most wet, but whatever, it was 90 degrees out, so it felt good. By this time, the clouds burned off and it was a nice sunny day out. So Splash Mountain was nice and refreshing...

After SM, we headed over to Fantasy Land for some rides for my niece... Went on the usual stuff: Dumbo, Pooh, Snow White, Small World, Carousel, Tea Cups.

The last area we hit was Toontown. While we were in there, it started to cloud up again and some rain fell, but it was over in no time. Now, while in toon town, I thought it would be a good idea to take a 3yr old on Goofy's Barnstormer. I wanted her to get her first taste of a coaster. BAD IDEA!!! She sat with her dad behind me (so I could take pics) and when we crested over the top and started to move, she grabbed him so hard, she almost put holes in his skin. I felt bad, but hey at least she gave it a shot.

Here are some pics:

This first pic, I took using the photo Stitch option on my digital camera:

Here is the pic of my neice and her dad right before she realized she was not going to like this coaster:

DAY 4: Typhoon Lagoon & Jelly Rolls

This day was kind of a wash. It was so nice out, but when you bring an infant, who can not be in the sun, and a 3yr old, who for some reason loves to be wet, but doesnt want to get splashed in the face, you pretty much cut your losses and leave. So all I really did here was 2 slides and shark reef. After that, I met up with my friends and we left. It was good though, because, we went to Jelly Rolls at night, and got nice and drunk, as you can see by the pics below:

DAY 5: Epcot Center

Day 5 was a late one for me. I slept until like 1pm, because I was recovering from the night before (see above pics). At around 3pm, I finally made it to Epcot. I was meeting my friend and her mom there, so before I called them I rode SSE one last time before they gut it and update it. After that I called and met them in the world Showcase.

First stop was Japan. I went into the store and picked up some Pocky and Nori Maki Arare (which is rice cracked wrapped in seaweed. Its very good). I made sure to speak to the CM in japanese, which I know a little. So he was impressed with that.

After we left Japan, we hit Germany, and I got a pretzle and tried to hit on the german girl who sold it to me... no luck

Then it was over to Italy, and then onward back into future world. When we got there, we took a ride on Mission Space (Orange team Thank you. None of that less intense green team BS). Then we did the single rider on Test Track. After that, I said my goodbyes and headed back to my hotel to relax at the pool, and finish recovering from my hangover.

When I went to Chill Station to get my favorite drink from Japan, I saw this:

DAY 6: MISC Park Hopper Day

This day was basically my friend and I running around to each park to try and ride the rides we missed during our first visit.

I picked up my friend at 8:30am, parked at the Contemporary, and then took the monorail to the TTC, and then a bus to AK. Now mind you it was Tuesday, so I assumed the parks would be less crowded that usual... I was wrong.

AK was pretty packed. We immediately got FP's for everest, and then walked over to Dinoland and took a ride on Dinosaur. My friend thought it was the best ride in all of WDW. I am still shaking my head at that one???

After we rode that, we ran back to Everest and had our turn. It was still awesome.

Next stop was Disney Studios again. When we got there, my friends wife called him and told him to come back to the hotel. She actually thought we would be done with all the parks by like noon. ??

After he hung up with her, we took a chance with Aerosmith and ToT. Both rides had over a 70min standby wait (and this was at like 11:30am). FP's were for 2hrs later. Oh well, so much for riding them again. After that we hopped a bus back to the contemporary.

When we got back to the hotel, and went to the valet, I told them I was going to be coming back, and I just had to drop my friend off, so the valet manager gave me a parking permit for the day, and that saved me from paying again.

I finally did come back, but not until 6:30pm when my friend and his family all went to Crystal palace for some Character dining with Pooh and friends. The food was pretty good, and we had a nice time. After that, we watched some of Spectro Magic and then walked back to the contemporary. From there we had a nice view of Wishes. After the show, we got back into the car and headed home.

DAY 7: GOING HOME

Today was the day I didnt want to come.. it was the day I had to get back on a plane and come home to NYC. Not much to say. Got to the airport early, had a cinnabon, and then flew home back to NYC.

Well thats my trip report. I hope you enjoyed it. As I said earlier, I have never done this, so please bear with me...

here are some notes from my trip sorted by park:

Disney Studios:

- I think the city backdrops need to be re-done as they are all faded and green.
    - I am glad we missed SW Weekends, as the park would have been insane.
    - That hat needs to go. It ruins the entire landscape and feel of the park. Its like Disney needs a centerpiece at every park. I dont get it.

Animal Kingdom:

Not much I would change here... the park is still new enough not to warrant many changes

Magic Kingdom:

- Haunted Mansion. Thank god its getting a rehab. Its just so pitiful right now.
    - Indy Speedway. Please do something with this ride. Its so old and doesnt even fit into tomorrowland.
    - MILF. Get rid of this crap. It was so dumb
    - Stitch encounter. OH GOD WHY!!!! Why ruin such a great dark ride.
    - Overall I wish Disney would replace all the robots on every ride with newer more lifelike robots. As technology improves so do kids perception of that. So I am sure they are like whatever when seeing these old outdated robots.

Epcot:

- Update World Showcase... lets see a new land. I would love to see Greece or something like that.
    - Universe of Energy. Get rid of it. Its boring and useless.

Well there ya go folks. I took over 140 pictures, so if you would like to see them, here is the link to them all. I hope this link takes you the right spot.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...&x=0&y=-jq9jum

Re: WDW Trip Report 5/31 to 6/6

Well I enjoyed the TR and the pics!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

sigpic

Comment

Very interesting. Thanks for the report.

Comment

wow I guess nobody likes my TR

Comment

Great trip report!

I love the photo of your niece, just before she hated the coaster. We had that happen once at Legoland with one of my nieces. I have a photo of her as they started down the first drop. Horror had already set in, judging by her expression. We had told her that it wasn't a scarey coaster. She still doesn't completely trust us to this day.

Sorry we didn't run into you on Saturday. We were in red MiceChat shirts, in hopes we might connect with some other members.

Lu
          "Not Carnegie, Vanderbilt, and Astor together could have
          raised money enough to buy a quarter share in my little dog."

� Ernest Thompson Seton

Comment

Originally posted by MickeyMaxx View Post
            Great trip report!

I love the photo of your niece, just before she hated the coaster. We had that happen once at Legoland with one of my nieces. I have a photo of her as they started down the first drop. Horror had already set in, judging by her expression. We had told her that it wasn't a scarey coaster. She still doesn't completely trust us to this day.

Sorry we didn't run into you on Saturday. We were in red MiceChat shirts, in hopes we might connect with some other members.

Lu
            and that picture of my niece on barnstormer wasnt even the face of fear... my friend said she almost pierced his skin with her fingers....

Aside from that, the only other negative about this trip was those damn bugs that were having relations....

Comment

I am new to micechat and youre pictures are great. I will be going to WDW end of this month for the first time. Where did you buy water for a reasonable price?

Comment

Originally posted by berozz View Post
                I am new to micechat and youre pictures are great. I will be going to WDW end of this month for the first time. Where did you buy water for a reasonable price?
                Actually the cheapest place I found water was at the Hess Station over by the Polynesian hotel and ticket and transportation center... It was like $.79 cents for a bottle... They are all the same prices inside the parks...

If you can get outside the parks, then most of the 7/11's have cheap water prices...

Comment

Great report!
                  sigpic

Originally posted by Phonedave
                  Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

Comment

"That hat needs to go. It ruins the entire landscape and feel of the park. Its like Disney needs a centerpiece at every park. I dont get it."

I agree completely. What was wrong with the Earful Tower? That was certainly unique. Anyway, great stuff, thanks for the post and pics!
                    Last edited by tjcjr; 06-07-2007, 11:57 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by tjcjr View Post
                      "That hat needs to go. It ruins the entire landscape and feel of the park. Its like Disney needs a centerpiece at every park. I dont get it."

I agree completely. What was wrong with the Earful Tower? That was certainly unique. Anyway, great stuff, thanks for the post and pics!
                      Yeah seriously... Lets look at it:

MK: Castle
                      Epcot: SSE
                      AK: Tree of Life
                      DS: Hat

Its funny. Before I went on this trip, I just assumed the hat was some sort of gimmick that they were using in the park... and it finally hit me when I looked at the disney map for the DS, and I was like... holy S**t, its the centerpiece of the park, like the other parks they have...

I understand they use those as the central focal point to the hubs, but seriously, I remember walking into the DS back when it first opened, before ToT and Aerosmith and when you looked down the main blvd, there was a gorgeous shot of the Mann's Chinese theater.

Why do the WDW Imagineers seem to think that every park they build in WDW needs a center piece...

Comment

Originally posted by Parisi View Post
                        wow I guess nobody likes my TR
                        Don't say that! There's just a lot of TRs within the past few days is all. :cwink:

I love the photos from Jellyrolls. Too bad I couldn't of joined you there.

Comment

I understand they use those as the central focal point to the hubs, but seriously, I remember walking into the DS back when it first opened, before ToT and Aerosmith and when you looked down the main blvd, there was a gorgeous shot of the Mann's Chinese theater.

Why do the WDW Imagineers seem to think that every park they build in WDW needs a center piece...
                          Because that's how it started with Disneyland's design with a "weanie" in each land... to help draw your attention to get you going in that direction and for dirctions. Anyway, the studios had the theater and then they put the hat in front of it when Disney was fearing losing the rights to have the Mann's replica there. Now it's just doubled up and hides a goreous building.

Comment

Also, when on this trip, I noticed that the maps are more streamlined... What I mean by that is that the maps basically list the rides and some restaurants...

Didnt the maps also use to show the shops as well, and parade times? I kind of miss the listings for the shops.

Although when I did visit Mitsokushi in Japan, I was able to speak Japanese with the cashier... so that was cool.

Comment

Also, when on this trip, I noticed that the maps are more streamlined... What I mean by that is that the maps basically list the rides and some restaurants...

Didnt the maps also use to show the shops as well, and parade times? I kind of miss the listings for the shops.

Although when I did visit Mitsokushi in Japan, I was able to speak Japanese with the cashier... so that was cool.
                              The shops should be listed (on the back?) and the parade times change and so they are listed in the Times Guide (white sheet of paper that goes along with the maps) along with the character greetings and other entertainment shows.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X