• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tofubeast
    Dreamer
    • Jul 2006

Why isn't there a Mickey Ride?

Yeah.. I know about Mickey's PhilharMagic...but that isn't a ride and, yes, there is TT....

But, just curious why there isn't a ride dedicated to the Mouse? Growing up going to DL, and now living in FL w/ WDW, it just seems odd that the most obvious Disney character is missing a ride. What is the reason? And if no reason, why do you think that is the case?

Just a thought!

danielle
  • Flaming Monkey
    Art isn't easy.
    • May 2007

Re: Why isn't there a Mickey Ride?

Maybe it keeps our beloved corporate icon at a tender distance? To paraphrase Mrs. Cho, "[Mickey] should be had in moderation. Too much [Mickey] and it's just not special."

Mayhaps?
    - Bill

Comment

• VeganPrincess
      Defying gravity
      • May 2006

I think it might be because Mickey is EVERYWHERE ELSE!!! In the parades, Fantasmic!, character greetings, etc. etc. etc. Mickey can be placed in so many situations and assumes so many difficult roles that I think it would be hard to create an attraction solely based on him. Would be be the Sorcerer's Apprentice, Steamboat Willie, Classic Mickey....?

Comment

• MickeyMoose
        • Jun 2006

Mickey used to have another show before it was shipped off to Tokyo Disneyland on my frist visit. If you want to see Sorcerer Mickey take a ride on the Great Movie Ride and you will see him.

Comment

• Ghostbuster626
          Banned User
          • Jan 2005

Originaly Toy Story Mania was going to be themed to Mickey Mouse's adventures.

Comment

• AdrainB
            Swamp Thing
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by tofubeast View Post
            Yeah.. I know about Mickey's PhilharMagic...but that isn't a ride and, yes, there is TT....

But, just curious why there isn't a ride dedicated to the Mouse? Growing up going to DL, and now living in FL w/ WDW, it just seems odd that the most obvious Disney character is missing a ride. What is the reason? And if no reason, why do you think that is the case?

Just a thought!

danielle
            Shouldn't it be called Donald's Philharmagic? Mickey is hardly in the thing.

Comment

• MJMcB
              We'll hold them at bay
              • Apr 2006

there was talk about removing the Little Mermaid show at MGM for a Mickey Mouse Clubhouse kids show
              www.jamboeveryone.com
              Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

sigpic

Comment

• tayakaleb
                Can't get enough!
                • Jun 2007

i can somewhat understand the lack of a mickey ride simply because before the new mickey mouse clubhouse show on the disney channel a lot of today's preschoolers didn't get to see mickey on tv etc. on a daily basis. before my daughters first trip to wdw about 4 years ago we rented several movies to get her used to the classic characters.

It's kind of fun to do the impossible- Walt Disney

Comment

• Monkey joe
                  • Apr 2005

The Disney MGM Studios was going to oringally have a Mickey Mouse ride themed to his early career. I believe that it made half way through design phrase before it was taken out of the attractions for opening day. Maybe Tony or John will dust off these old designs and build the attraction.
                  Goodbye, Me Bizarro is not Monkey Joe. Me Bizarro hates Disney parks so much. Hello

Comment

• GhostHost2
                    MiceChatter
                    • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Monkey joe View Post
                    The Disney MGM Studios was going to oringally have a Mickey Mouse ride themed to his early career. I believe that it made half way through design phrase before it was taken out of the attractions for opening day. Maybe Tony or John will dust off these old designs and build the attraction.
                    Yeah, I feel a Mickey ride should be based on classic Mickey, not the modern pre-school Mickey.

Comment

• Monkey joe
                      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by GhostHost2 View Post
                      Yeah, I feel a Mickey ride should be based on classic Mickey, not the modern pre-school Mickey.
                      Well like I said there are models and artwork for such an atttraction at WDI in vault.
                      Goodbye, Me Bizarro is not Monkey Joe. Me Bizarro hates Disney parks so much. Hello

Comment

• MickeyMania
                        Vehicle rotating backward
                        • Jan 2005

Walt had other things in mind during the 50s, and they've been following along those ends.

Mickey's most valuable asset is the shape of his head, and they've been using that everywhere. Too much of him is overkill.

Comment

• Opus1guy
                          • Sep 2005

Originally posted by DisneyPrincess4590 View Post
                          I think it might be because Mickey is EVERYWHERE ELSE!!!
                          That sort of reminds me of a gag onboard Walt's old company plane...the MM1 Gulfstream (the one that was placed on display backstage at Disney-MGM)...that had a very funny pre-takeoff safety announcement with great recordings of Mickey and the gang. I think Von Drake was up in the cockpit with Mickey and Donald. At the end of this humorous "instruction" the announcement wound up with something like:

Mickey: "And don't forget to read the safety information card in your seatback pocket. It's real easy to find. It's got my picture on it!"

To which Donald very caustically in-character adds:

"Aah, phooey! Your picture's on everything!"

Comment

• Nom
                            • Jun 2005

Originally posted by MJMcB View Post
                            there was talk about removing the Little Mermaid show at MGM for a Mickey Mouse Clubhouse kids show
                            That would be incredible!

OT: Since there is going to be a pixar theme to an area of MGM, maybe they could make that whole area of MGM a Playhouse Disney area? Have the Playhouse Disney show, change the little mermaid show to a Mickey Mouse Clubhouse show, and then throw a themed ride or two into the animation area?

I know this idea will get me crucified from the 'anti-kids' gang , but so what- demand for Mickey Mouse Clubhouse stuff is huge- trying to get my dd the clubhouse and figures this christmas was like trying to get a cabbage patch doll in the 80s!

Anyway, sorry to go OT there.

Comment

• prince_david
                              MiceChatter
                              • Jan 2007

Wow you know in all my years... I never wondered why there was not a Mickey ride anywhere.

Disney: true inspiration!

Comment

• EPCOT1982
                                "There's always my way"
                                • Feb 2007

I don't think Walt Disney ever intended to have a Mickey Mouse ride. I think he wanted to instead have the idea that it all started with a mouse concept.

"Since the dawn of recorded time, communication has revolutionized our lives and changed our world. We now have the ability and the responsability to build new bridges of acceptance and cooperation between us. To create a better world for ourselves and our children as we continue our amazing journey aboard Spaceship Earth." - Jeremy Irons (Spaceship Earth)

Comment

• tofubeast
                                  Dreamer
                                  • Jul 2006

Thanks for posting all your thoughts....

I guess I can understand why there might not be a Mickey ride.

But for awhile, I thought the Mouse was just being ignored in general. With all these other animated films, I thought it was weird that there hadn't been a traditional Mickey movie. (another post for another day...)

But now that there is a Mickey Mouse clubhouse, I guess the little ones get to see Mickey each day.

Just making sure Mickey isn't too HIDDEN! hehe

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                  Working...
                                  X