• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tofubeast
    Dreamer
    • Jul 2006

Why do we even care?

Why do we care about wands and debate them up and down? Why do we dissect the parks down to every detail? Why do we show so much interest in the past, present, and future? Do you care so much about other theme/amusement parks of yesterday and today as well?

~~~~~
    I am not posting this thread to judge because *I* care too! I was just thinking about where the inner drive to be so curious about all this even comes from. I tried to explain my excitement in seeing photos of the wand come down to my DH and he looked at me with a blank stare. My mom could care less. Most of my friends I don't even bother talking about this stuff. I guess the only person who cares (besides YOU) is my Dad (to an extent) as I realized last night while chatting about old amusement parks in southern california and central florida with him.

I just loving seeing things that define pop culture and recent history and how they change over the years (even if it makes me sad.) I devour web sites devoted to modern ruins. I love seeing pictures that remind of my very early years. When I walk around a place like WDW, I want to appreciate the blood, sweat and tears that was invested in the attractions etc. Even if I don't like it! I am sure I annoy my husband with seemingly "useless" factoids about WDW etc..when we go there, but I just want to share what I learn. I guess this is a sign that I must go to a Micechat park meetup one day and be with like-minded fanatics.

So what about YOU, why the heck do you care? hehe
  • Nom
    • Jun 2005

Re: Why do we even care?

I think a lot of it comes down to this for me (get ready for some psycho-babble!)

WHen I was growing up, my dad had a bad temper. WDW was the only place we were ALWAYS happy together as a family. So I am sure that feeling of safety and escape for a child made WDW extra special to me. Even to this day, when I am going through a rough personal time, I think, wow, I need to plan a trip to WDW, or turn on live 365, etc.

So I love the attention to detail and the wonderful past of disney because I think it is really cemented into me as memories of a safe place in childhood. Wow, that was probably too much to share on a message board!

Comment

• GhostHost2
      MiceChatter
      • Jun 2007

Well people like to know a lot about what interests them. It is the same thing as sports fans knowing a lot of stuff about sports. I know very little about sports, because I have very little interest in sports. I know alot about Disney, because I have a lot of interest in Disney. What interests us comes from our own personal perferences, and my personal perferences tend for me to be interested in things that fuel my imagination and make me escape from my real life and into a fantastic adventure.

Comment

• FantasticDuck
        Too far from Disney World
        • Aug 2006

I think it has to do with, in general, most people don't like change as well. Maybe it comes from the memories of childhood when they first visited the park or when they worked there or whatever. Disney World is to most people a really good memory and when you go back and there's a major change or, to some people a giant eyesore, in the way of what they remember, it affects that memory. Or maybe that's just me!
        With great pride: Disney Store Cast Member August 2011-Present

D23 Charter Member - 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012

WDW Trips: June 2012, 2010, 2008, 2007, 1997, 1996, 1994

Comment

• Nom
          • Jun 2005

Originally posted by GhostHost2 View Post
          Well people like to know a lot about what interests them. It is the same thing as sports fans knowing a lot of stuff about sports. I know very little about sports, because I have very little interest in sports. I know alot about Disney, because I have a lot of interest in Disney. What interests us comes from our own personal perferences, and my personal perferences tend for me to be interested in things that fuel my imagination and make me escape from my real life and into a fantastic adventure.
          ITA with this as well.

Comment

• SummerInFL
            Relax
            • Sep 2005

Simple answer:

Disney is/was my therapy.

My childhood wasn't the greatest, home life was ok don't get me wrong but I was the fat kid in school that everyone made fun of. If anyone has ever been ridiculed constantly in their life they will know what this feeling is like.

But every year for a week or so we would get in the car and drive 24 hours to this wonderful place called Walt Disney World and everyone was nice to me and I never had to worry about what I looked like or what I was wearing. I could just be "me" for a moment in time and just enjoy myself with my parents. You hear all the time that little girls are Princesses at WDW and for me that was completely true. I felt like a Princess, Mickey Mouse was the biggest star ever and CM's actually cared that I had a good time. So in many ways Walt Disney World has always my escape from reality.

Now that I have children of my own, it's so wonderful to see the same expressions and feelings that I had come out through them. Not to mention that because of that wonderful place I have met some of the most WONDERFUL people here on MiceChat, so Disney means a lot of things to me.

I care because Disney is like that favorite toy that you own that you never want to get ruined no matter how long you've had it but you understand that sometimes you need to sew it up with some new thread to keep it going. I think most people complain, because instead of using good thread, WDW borrows thread from a nickel and dime store and pretends to call it something new.
            Last edited by SummerInFL; 07-13-2007, 07:10 AM.

Comment

• GhostHost2
              MiceChatter
              • Jun 2007

Originally posted by SummerInFL View Post

I care BECAUSE Disney is like that favorite toy that you owned that you never want to get ruined no matter how long you've had it but you understand that sometimes you need to sew it up with some new thread to keep it going. I think most people complain, because instead of using good thread, WDW borrows thread from a nickel and dime store and pretends to call it something new.

Exactly, people are so afraid of changes at WDW because of our past experiences with them. Some things we would never be happy to see go, even if we got something great in it's place. Some changes we would be much more welcome to, if we could trust the company. Sadly, with their past record, we are more likely to get a playground in the place of Wonders of Life, instead of an Indiana Jones Adventure scale dark ride version of Body Wars.

Comment

• geoffa
                Geoff London
                • Jan 2007

You hit the nail on the head. We hate seeing change even if what we get is better. We like to look back and reminisce. I've always thought the 5th Gate should be a Retro park. I, too, wonder what they will do with Wonders of Life. I just hope it isn't going to sit there getting drabber and drabber. Do they have any plans for it at all or will it become a "Pooh's Thotful Spot"?
                Now I'll turn that little mouse's dream into a nightmare Fantasmic !

Comment

• MJMcB
                  We'll hold them at bay
                  • Apr 2006

Originally posted by geoffa View Post
                  You hit the nail on the head. We hate seeing change even if what we get is better.

Not me. I like change to the parks. I for one wish they would blow up the Jungle Cruise and Carousel of Progress
                  www.jamboeveryone.com
                  Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

sigpic

Comment

• GhostHost2
                    MiceChatter
                    • Jun 2007

Originally posted by MJMcB View Post
                    Not me. I like change to the parks. I for one wish they would blow up the Jungle Cruise and Carousel of Progress
                    Carousel of Progress is a classic with a great song, I mean it was designed by Walt himself for the World's Fair. The ending should be updated, but other than maintaince that is the only change it needs. It is one of the only WDW exclusive attractions I feel passionate about. I am also opposed to blowing up the Jungle Cruise, it should stay also.

Plus you do know what we would get in their place don't you:

For COP: Carousel of Pooh: see cardboard cut outs of Pooh characters on stages that were once held by audio-animatronics.

For Jungle Cruise: Jack Sparrow Meet and Greet station.

Comment

• wishesjake
                      I'm Engaged!!!!!
                      • Feb 2007

I discovered WDW on my senior trip in high school.
                      It was a time where I didn't want to grow up.
                      And I discovered a place where I didn't have to.
                      That is why I care.
                      wishesjake and SleepingBeauty867
                      sigpic

Comment

• LucyintheSky
                        Captain EO! :D
                        • Jun 2007

Well, as Summer said already, Disney is a kind of therapy to me, too. I can go there and forget all my problems, and just be happy. I am one of the few who am sad to see the wand go, but it's not because I like how it looks.

That wand was put up the year I moved to Orlando. And since then, I have spent much of my life in Epcot. Many life-changing things have happened to me there, and that wand has been there for all of it. It's kinda like, it's lived here as long as I have.

Last year was a strange one for me. It was very very bad at home, but I would go to Epcot whenever I could to escape. And the people I met and friends I made, made it become also one of the best years of my life. Nearly every day, I would get there, go inside, hear that music, look up at that wand, and instantly feel better, like everything was going to be okay. That wand was more a symbol to me of happiness, comfort, love, excitement. And that's why I'm very very sad to see it go. And I'll probably cry when I see it gone for the first time. But not because of what it was, but because of what it meant to me. That's why I care.
                        ----------------------------------------

Jennifer

Comment

• Pacha
                          MiceChatter
                          • Jan 2005

WDW isn't just a cool, fun place, it's a unique and magical place that, in my mind, makes it a national treasure. Or, at least should be treated like one.

(Could probably say the same about every other Disney park...maybe even moreso for DL since it is the first of its kind.)

That's why I care.

Comment

• SummerInFL
                            Relax
                            • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Pacha View Post
                            WDW isn't just a cool, fun place, it's a unique and magical place that, in my mind, makes it a national treasure. Or, at least should be treated like one.

(Could probably say the same about every other Disney park...maybe even moreso for DL since it is the first of its kind.)

That's why I care.

Oh I agree, I already know that on my first trip to DL the moment I step through those gates I'm probably going to cry and then I'm going to thank Mr. Disney for all that he's done for me.

Comment

• Nom
                              • Jun 2005

Originally posted by LucyintheSky View Post
                              That wand was put up the year I moved to Orlando. And since then, I have spent much of my life in Epcot. Many life-changing things have happened to me there, and that wand has been there for all of it. It's kinda like, it's lived here as long as I have.

Last year was a strange one for me. It was very very bad at home, but I would go to Epcot whenever I could to escape. And the people I met and friends I made, made it become also one of the best years of my life. Nearly every day, I would get there, go inside, hear that music, look up at that wand, and instantly feel better, like everything was going to be okay. That wand was more a symbol to me of happiness, comfort, love, excitement. And that's why I'm very very sad to see it go. And I'll probably cry when I see it gone for the first time. But not because of what it was, but because of what it meant to me. That's why I care.
                              Wow, that post made me teary. Both because I can relate to how you feel about WDW as therapy, and that your post made me sad to think that the wand will soon be gone. I am a wand hater, but your post made me realize how some people feel about it, and how hard it will be for them when it is gone.

Thank you for sharing.

Comment

• KISSman
                                Progressive Disneylander
                                • Dec 2006

It's all done out of love -- even though it's sometimes a weird way of showing it.

Individually, we want everything to be the best WE think it should be although everyone has a different perception of what would be 'best'.

Passionate fans of rock bands and sports teams are the very same way.

Comment

• evanescence4ever
                                  KING OF CABMF'S
                                  • Jun 2006

Originally posted by MJMcB View Post
                                  carousel of progress? dont count on it. Walt had a wish for that ride to never have it taken down in WDW. That is one thing they did listen to from walt. because really, if they wanted to blow that ride up they would have by now because it gets few crowds and is almost always at 50% capacity.
                                  but they did listen to one of walt's dying wishes, and kept it up. besides, carousel of progress is a piece of history, molded from walt's hands
                                  ADD ME.[:

WHAT I'VE LEARNED FROM MICECHAT...
                                  1. IF YOU APPRECIATE SOMETHING THAT ISN'T THE MAJORITY OPINION, YOU'RE NOT WANTED HERE.
                                  2. IF THERE'S CHIPPED PAINT IN THE QUEUE FOR A LINE, EXPECT SOMEONE TO WRITE OUT A BIG STORY BASHING IT. WOOHOO.
                                  3. IF YOU'RE UNDER THE AGE OF 24, YOU'RE AN 'EISNER BRAT.'
                                  4. PEOPLE WHO ARE DEEMED AS 'MODERATORS' AND OTHER ADMINISTRATION ARE MORE IMPORTANT DIETIES THAN JESUS CHRIST.
                                  5. YOU CAN EXCPECT TO BE BADLY REPPED IF YOU TRY AND MAKE A SERIOUS POINT.
                                  6. YOU ARENT TAKEN SERIOUS IF YOU'RE UNDER THE AGE OF 16.
                                  7. AS AN ADD-ON TO #6, YOU SHOULD BE TREATED AS A SUBORDINATEIF YOU ARE IN A THEME PARK WAITING 30 MINUTES IN LINE FOR A DRINK WHILE SOMEONE HAS TO RECOUNT PIZZAS.
                                  8. "Disney may not care to hear your comments, but we do." WTFFF??? THIS ISN'T A DISNEY FAN FORUM, IT'S A DISNETY BASHING SITE.
                                  9. CERTAIN PEOPLE OVER ANALYZE A SIMPLE THREAD AND CONSIDER IT TO BE A CONTRACT FULL OF LOOPHOLES THAT HE/SHE CAN GET AROUND.
                                  AND FINALLY...
                                  10. PROLONGED USE OF THIS SITE CAN CAUSE AN EXTREME HATE OF DISNEY AND ALL DISNEY RELATED THINGS.

M-U-H Muhfukka.
                                  [:

Comment

• tofubeast
                                    Dreamer
                                    • Jul 2006

When I started this post today, I never thought many of the responses would be such tug at the heart strings kinds of posts! I was teary after reading the responses. Nice to see what it is that brings us together on here and at the parks!!

And I hear one of the responders when they said it is the same passion as loving a rock band. Don't even get me started on U2...especially when they tour.

Comment

• speedemon
                                      MiceChatter
                                      • May 2007

I care because it's a place for families and their product is fun. I first went when I was seven and was so blown away that I've always wanted to keep going back. In the 4 times I've been I always have had great memories. As for the people that take their families, I have tremendous respect. My family took me as a kid and it is probably the happiest memory that I have and each time I come back and visit, I get a peice of that fun once again. Not only that but the theming of the rides and places that are built are incredible in how they transform your perspective and take you out of everyday life, I.E. The Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain, Tower of Terror to name a few. Sorry if this comes off as corny but I'm glad this place exists.

Comment

• Risa
                                        MiceChatter
                                        • Jan 2007

Originally posted by SummerInFL View Post
                                        Oh I agree, I already know that on my first trip to DL the moment I step through those gates I'm probably going to cry and then I'm going to thank Mr. Disney for all that he's done for me.

Summer, I am going to do that, too! I really need to get out to CA!

There is so much I want to type in here, but I'll just say this - It makes me happy to read about Disney, look at pictures of Disney, and just talk about Disney. It is something that has always been positive in my life, and I'll never let it go....ever.

That's part of why I care.....plus, I think it so interesting to dive into each aspect of each park and see what everyone thinks.

Well, that, and I love to debate. :razz:
                                        - Larisa

Everybody neat and pretty? Then, on with the show! -MMC

:ap:

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X