• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • xfkirsten
    I Hug My Tapirs
    • Jan 2005

Originally posted by BigPigletFan
    Quick question, do you know anyone who was a character?
    *raises hand* Entertainment CP, Spring 2003.
    "I don't need intelligent drugs because I don't know what they are. But I will put anything into my mouth that is given to me, whether it's supposed to go there or not. Because... I'm different."

Comment

• BigPigletFan
      I was deleted.
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by xfkirsten
      *raises hand* Entertainment CP, Spring 2003.
      To answer someone else's question first, yes, I am interested in entertainment. My audition is March 3rd in Chicago. May I ask about your audition? What did they ask you to do and such? How long was it? Do you have any tips for it? Also, what character(s) did you play? I am curious. I have a friend that I have asked many questions about the program, but he was not a character so I'm left bumming around here for support. I would like to know anything and everything you are willing to share! thank you in advance!!

Also, thanks for the car tip - that's a good thing to note.

Comment

• egroeg
        • Jan 2005

Advanced Internships?

I don't want to steal any of BigPigletFan's thunder, but I have been salivating over the "management" internships at WDW for a couple years now. I have guest service and management experience up the wazoo but no Disney experience.

Anyone want to chime in on whether or not this is a wothwhile program? Is the money any better (since I guess you have to provide your own housing)? Do I even have a shot as someone who has never worked at WDW and only been there once?

Thanks for any thoughts, quips, etc. and thanks for the thread BPF!
        I didn't say a word.

Comment

• Kate
          • Feb 2005

Hey Bibliophile -- do you know Abby from OU? She's one of my sorority sisters and worked Fantasyland Attractions last fall on the CP. She's taking over my campus rep spot in the fall since I'm graduating this spring.

egroeg, two of my friends are applying for management internships -- one in Merchandise, one in Rooms and Related -- for the fall. You do make more than on the regular CP; it's a set amount per week, and plenty to afford housing. If you have management experience, you've probably got a decent shot, and you don't have to be an alumni for Merchandising MI's, so if most of your experience is in retail, I would go for it -- you'll never know if you don't apply, right?

Comment

• xfkirsten
            I Hug My Tapirs
            • Jan 2005

To answer someone else's question first, yes, I am interested in entertainment. My audition is March 3rd in Chicago. May I ask about your audition? What did they ask you to do and such? How long was it? Do you have any tips for it? Also, what character(s) did you play? I am curious. I have a friend that I have asked many questions about the program, but he was not a character so I'm left bumming around here for support. I would like to know anything and everything you are willing to share! thank you in advance!
            I meantioned this in a PM, but I'll post it here too for anyone else who's interested.

Basically, you go in and they'll teach you a short dance routine (around 6 counts of 8 or so) in a big group. Then they'll bring people in in small groups to do sort of a "final" performance of the dance. A part of that is also an animation exercise, where they give you a sitation and ask you to act it out as a character would (eg big movements, etc.). For instance, my situation was "getting ready for a show." The whole thing ran probably about an hour and a half. It kind of depends on how many people attend, though. It could be much shorter or much longer, depending on how long you have to wait.

For tips, first and foremost, have fun with it! It's easy to get worked up and fret over the dance, but really, your actual dancing skill isn't what they're looking at. They're looking to see that you're smiling, that you're having fun and giving it your best. I have no dance experience whatsoever, and completely messed up the end of the dance at my audition. But I just kept going and doing my own thing til I caught up. Also remember that, while they give you a "final" audition of the dance, they're still always watching you, so really your audition starts the minute you walk in the door. So make sure you're always smiling and friendly!
            "I don't need intelligent drugs because I don't know what they are. But I will put anything into my mouth that is given to me, whether it's supposed to go there or not. Because... I'm different."

Comment

• dsnylndmom
              loves a silver lining
              • Jan 2005

My son is already talking about this program and how bad he wants to do it, oh did I mention he's only 10

Keep the information coming for all those interested in the program.

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

Comment

• Bibliophile
                Do you have a 27B/6?
                • Feb 2005

Kate: I do know an Abby from Fantasyland! I don't know which school she went to, but if she was one of the playing cards, then that's her. Ask her if she remembers Tera at all...
                They are the Disney Princesses and their goal is world domination. -Mary McNamara | LA Times / AP

Fall 2004: Fantasyland Attractions

Comment

• BigPigletFan
                  I was deleted.
                  • Dec 2008

cute!

Originally posted by dsnylndmom
                  My son is already talking about this program and how bad he wants to do it, oh did I mention he's only 10

Keep the information coming for all those interested in the program.

Aw, that's cute! I started to get information when I was 15, so he is five years ahead of me. I will let you know more as I get it. There is more on www.wdwcollegeprogram.com if he wants to look around. There is information about classes, you can see what schools they are traveling to or have traveled to this year, etc. What does he say that he wants to do on the program?

Also, thanks so much for all of your help and tips about the audition. I will let you all know how it goes.

Comment

• Disney3xJC
                    EPCOT 1982
                    • Feb 2005

[email protected]

Comment

• BigPigletFan
                      I was deleted.
                      • Dec 2008

No, I am interested. Tell me! What restaurant(s) did you work at? Why did you leave? What was the best part? What was the college program like in its early years? Please don't feel like you're boring me.

Comment

• Soulquarian
                        MiceChatter
                        • Jan 2005

There's an alternate program that is for musicians and dancers. Does that one have housing also?

Comment

• xfkirsten
                          I Hug My Tapirs
                          • Jan 2005

I don't know about the musicians and dancers one. Live musicians at the park are all hired through Equity contracts. Most dancers in the park are just part of the character department, although some roles are Equity (eg Tarzan Rocks and Beauty and the Beast).

Comment

• DocPaddock
                            ISTC Instructor
                            • Feb 2005

I can't wait to be in Florida next month for the program. Kind of wish I applied for the Advantage Program wich would have been from January to August, but I guess April to August is still a good chunk of time. I'm hoping this experience will open the door to a possible future with Disney.

For those who have gone already, did you take one of the classes? If so then which one and was it good or not. One final question for those who took classes did it interfer with work or simply enjoying yourself?
                            Always follow your dreams...sigpic

Comment

• xfkirsten
                              I Hug My Tapirs
                              • Jan 2005

I took the Experiential Learning class... it was okay, but I didn't really feel like I got a whole lot out of it. But as a science major, I also didn't really feel like the course material pertained to me. Had a great instructor, though!! As far as interfering... at times it was a bit annoying to have to go there when I could be playing in the parks, but I didn't feel like it interfered too much. It was just a couple of hours a week.

Comment

• fkurucz
                                • Feb 2005

I am excited about the program. I don't exactly care for your pessimistic attitude. Also, I won't be peeling "vegtibles" anytime soon because that is virtually impossible since "vegtibles" do not exist. Thank you for your advice. I will be sure to stay far away from people like yourself.

Does anyone have any kind advice to share? I sure hope so.
                                While the pessimistic poster (Moonliner) did come across as negative, there is a kernel of truth to the reply. You will most likely be employed to do menial work. While working a semester at WDW might be fun, it might be wiser to obtain an internship that is related to the career you are preparing for. It will look much more impressive on that first resume than saying you spent a semester dishing out burgers and fries at WDW.

Comment

• xfkirsten
                                  I Hug My Tapirs
                                  • Jan 2005

True, but you'd be surprised what some places think when they see WDW on a resume. Of course, in places near the resort, they probably see it all the time and it's no big deal. But when I applied for a job here in San Diego... well, WDW was a huge topic that I was asked about several times during my interview. And I did get the job. It's not so much the WDW job itself, as the reputation of the company. People know Disney theme parks have a reputation for great guest service, and that reputation then gets transferred to people who have worked there.

Comment

• BigPigletFan
                                    I was deleted.
                                    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by fkurucz
                                    While the pessimistic poster (Moonliner) did come across as negative, there is a kernel of truth to the reply. You will most likely be employed to do menial work. While working a semester at WDW might be fun, it might be wiser to obtain an internship that is related to the career you are preparing for. It will look much more impressive on that first resume than saying you spent a semester dishing out burgers and fries at WDW.

Yup! Thank you for your help; however, I plan on working for The Disney Company (hopefully in the park) so I feel this would be the best place to start. I will let you all know once I get details and I can meet some you guys or something fun.

Comment

• WDWFan75
                                      Frequent WDW Visitor
                                      • Mar 2005

As a former CP myself, I heartily recommend the program to anyone. And, yes, I was one of those "bathroom cleaners." Nothing wrong with that. Ever wonder how the bathrooms get so clean at WDW? It ain't audio-animatronic figures keeping it that way! Honestly, Custodial is one of the best jobs in the parks, for a variety of reasons, so don't be afraid to go for it if that's what you're offered. I would, however, be a little afraid of Quick Service Foods...

Just realize that the program is what you make of it. If you enjoy going to the park every day to make guests' days a little better, you'll have fun. If you think menial tasks are beneath you, it'd be better not to apply as you won't have a good time and you'll make it hard for others to have a good time as well. You sound like a level-headed person, though.

It also helps to have decent roommates. If you have a friend who gets accepted and goes on the same day, get in line together and you'll probably get the same apartment. The living situation is very good. Yes, you'll be living with 5 other people, but if you're used to college dorms, you'll feel like you're living in luxury. And if you really have any major issues with the apartment/roommates you get, they can always place you elsewhere. Just ask, fill out the form, and pay the fee (not a big one, so don't worry -- plus you probably won't have to do it anyway).

Also, since you want to work for Disney in the future, the CP is the way to start. It means you'll have an in when you go back to get hired. You may have to be hourly before you get to the higher positions, but to accomplish your dream of working for Disney, you've got to start somewhere. Good luck and feel free to PM/E-mail/IM me with any questions you may have (like why in the world I say Custodial is a good position, for instance ). Although, since you've been researching since you were 15, you may not have any left!
                                      Last edited by WDWFan75; 03-10-2005, 08:29 PM.

Comment

• xfkirsten
                                        I Hug My Tapirs
                                        • Jan 2005

Originally posted by WDWFan75
                                        Just realize that the program is what you make of it. If you enjoy going to the park every day to make guests' days a little better, you'll have fun. If you think menial tasks are beneath you, it'd be better not to apply as you won't have a good time and you'll make it hard for others to have a good time as well. You sound like a level-headed person, though.
                                        Truer words were never spoken!

Comment

• Mr. Eggz
                                          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by WDWFan75
                                          Just realize that the program is what you make of it.
                                          Absolutely true. I was on the college program years ago and did not go to any parties. I spent a lot of my time playing in the parks, but I spent as much time as I could learning about the company. Through College Relations I set up meetings with various managers around the resort and talked with them about their areas and what sort of qualifications they were looking for. I really decided what I wanted to do with my life during the college program (all the while washing dishes in a kitchen at Disney/MGM Studios). I attended all the optional seminars and "conversations with..." It was great. If you want to party, there's that opportunity. If you want to play in the parks...have fun. If you want to learn about the Walt Disney Co., you have to work a little harder but that opportunity is there too.

I really think anyone who looks down on some of the less glamerous jobs at WDW is missing the point. I washed dishes and took out trash and served fast food, but I leared so much about Guest Service and what people want from Disney, and appreciate about Disney, and expect from Disney. I moved on to other jobs at Disney, but that experience stayed with me, and I still draw from it all the time.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X