Announcement

Collapse

Your Assistance Please

We need your help to battle spammers and also to keep our community user friendly.
PLEASE BE KIND TO OTHERS - Refrain from personal attacks. Avoid politics and harsh language whenever possible. If someone is violating our simple rules, DO NOT confront them, simply report the post.
STOP SPAMMERS - Report the post. DO NOT respond to them.

2017 is a year of renewal for us, we have lots of exciting changes on the way for you, but we don't have time to deal with trolls and spammers. If you find yourself suspended and need to plead your case, you will need to do so after your suspension. We are happy to address your concerns if you made a simple mistake. However, please note that those with a history of bad behavior and pushing our rules to the limit will not be given the courtesy of a reply.

MiceChat offers a number of ways for you to communicate and get involved. We offer Facebook Groups and Pages, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest accounts. We have a front page filled with amazing content. We offer weekly meetups in the parks. Meets and events all over the world. Podcasts and videos. And we continue to maintain forums for your posting convenience. But with all those options, we can't be everywhere all the time. We need YOUR help. Please don't poke the trolls. Report posts and leave reputation. We'll do our best to keep the forums clean and active, but we can't do so without your help.

Thank you for your support folks, it's going to be a really fantastic year in the MiceChat world.
See more
See less

Chefs de France?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chefs de France?

How good is it?

I try to do something different every time I visit WDW and considering I've been a regular visitor for almost 30 years..... it's getting harder to find things I haven't done yet! I realized I've never had a meal in France (or French food in general), so I booked my belated birthday lunch to myself there next month.

Re: Chefs de France?

Great!
    I have been there a couple of time and always get the same thing:The French Menu.
    For about $18 you get french onion soup, grilled ham and cheese sandwich, salad and a large dish of creme brule'. (It is much more elegant than it sounds.) The meals tend to be a little pricey so this is a good deal.

Comment

Comment

We love it! I haven't been to WDW in seven years, so I can't vouch for it recently.

But it's an awesome experience! Have fun!
        "But every night, when it gets dark
        and the stars come out,
        I'll look up on her behalf.
        I'll look up in the sky and think of you."

Comment

Since you have never had french food, you won't be confused

They call it a croque monsieur on the menu, but its not like any croque monsieur I have seen. Its very "americanized". The french version is a wonderfull broiled messy beast usualy with gruyere cheese. The one at Chefs is a grilled ham and cheese sandwich. Good, but not what I was expecting.

Chefs is also supposed to be a classic French brassere, which it is. A brassere serves good hearty food, and is a noisy friendly warm place - sort of like an upscale diner in the US. Some people are expecting a upscale fine dining place when they go there and end up diasppointed. Brasseres are by no means cheap dining, they can and do serve some very very good food, but the atmosphere is different.

I don't have "heros" per se, but as far as food people I respsect, the chef here http://www.leshalles.net/ is one of them.

You could of course go upstairs for the snails and frogs legs appitizer (and no I have not done that - yet, someday though )

Erzats croque monsieur - the lunch version (good bread and tomato)

-dave
          Last edited by Phonedave; 07-17-2007, 09:03 PM.
          "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
          "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

Comment

I thought the bistro was upstairs and the fine dining was downstairs. I have always wanted to eat the le chefs but either couldn't get reservations, or the people I was with didn't want to eat there. Hope you enjoy your birthday celebration.

Comment

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE Le Chefs de France!!!
              It's actually "Cars Land", not "Carsland".

Comment

I ate there in 2001 and loved it. Definitely worth it!

Comment

I ate there in May and it was fabulous! I had not been since I was a child and it was a very pleasant experience. The lobster bisque is great, if you like that sort of thing.
                  "All our dreams can come true.....if we have the courage to pursue them."
                  - Walt Disney

Comment

Originally posted by Cmash95 View Post
                    I thought the bistro was upstairs and the fine dining was downstairs. I have always wanted to eat the le chefs but either couldn't get reservations, or the people I was with didn't want to eat there. Hope you enjoy your birthday celebration.

The bistro is upstairs, and is open for dinner only

Chefs is downstairs and is open for lunch and dinner

And yes, oddly enough a bistro would be a touch less formal than a brassire, but in the wacky world of EPCOT, Bistro de Paris is a more formal (and expensive) restaruant.

-dave
                    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
                    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

Comment

Glad to hear the good words about this place. I get nervous when I try new places to eat that I don't know much about.

Comment

Sorry, but my experience is a bit different. I've eaten at Chefs several times over the years. I thought it used to be excellent, but the last couple times have been not that good. It might have been bad luck, but I had entre's that were very lame, and kind of surly service.

On the other hand, I've just discovered the Bistro de Paris upstairs (think of it as a separate restaurant), and I can't say enough about it. Wonderful food, terrific service, and a nicer, more elegant atmosphere. Of course, it's still within a Disney park, so there are plenty of folks with shorts and tshirts. I actually tried the frog legs last time, and they were pretty yummy (sorry, Kermit!).

Between the two restaurants, the Bistro wins by far in all categories - atmosphere, food, service.

Comment

Originally posted by danyoung View Post
                          Sorry, but my experience is a bit different. I've eaten at Chefs several times over the years. I thought it used to be excellent, but the last couple times have been not that good. It might have been bad luck, but I had entre's that were very lame, and kind of surly service.

On the other hand, I've just discovered the Bistro de Paris upstairs (think of it as a separate restaurant), and I can't say enough about it. Wonderful food, terrific service, and a nicer, more elegant atmosphere. Of course, it's still within a Disney park, so there are plenty of folks with shorts and tshirts. I actually tried the frog legs last time, and they were pretty yummy (sorry, Kermit!).

Between the two restaurants, the Bistro wins by far in all categories - atmosphere, food, service.
                          I could have sworn I saw Onglet (hanger steak) on the menu once when I walked by. I was going to try and get in there last time I was down but I didn't see it on the menu, so I passed.

They do share a kitchen, but it is seperate, and has more upscale (and expensive) food.

-dave

Comment

So I have to ask - what is Onglet (hanger steak)?

My first visit, I think I ordered a ribeye steak, which came out perfectly. But the table next to me got some kind of steak that they cooked right at the table, with BRICKS of butter melted on the flame and over the steak. It looked and smelled spectacular! Next time . . .

Comment

Originally posted by danyoung View Post
                              So I have to ask - what is Onglet (hanger steak)?

My first visit, I think I ordered a ribeye steak, which came out perfectly. But the table next to me got some kind of steak that they cooked right at the table, with BRICKS of butter melted on the flame and over the steak. It looked and smelled spectacular! Next time . . .

Did it smell slightly of beef kidney? If so, that be a hanger steak.

It is from right below the diagphram. There is only one per cow, and they are about a pound, so you can see why they are "rare"

They are very tender, and very very instensly beef flavored.

When I cook steaks I stick butter on them too. If I am going to eat the calories, I might as well go all the way

Hanger steak looks sort of like the shape of two lungs put together. There is a line of gristle down the middle of it (between the "lungs")

-dave

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X