Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge

The Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge has been opened. You can find it in the Lounges section.

All MiceChat rules still apply, and all posts will be heavily scrutinized.

The forum is for topics that are Disney-related, but controversial. Topics not directly related to Disney will not be allowed.
2 of 2 < >

Registrations

All new user registrations require email verification. Please make sure that micechat.com is not blocked by your SPAM filter. Approvals are done at least once per day, but no approval will be given for accounts that have not verified their email address. No account created using anonymous services will be approved. These include proxies, VPN's, and Tor exit nodes. IP address reputations are also checked. Any IP address with questionable reputation will be banned and the registration denied.
See more
See less

Can anyone recommend a book?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone recommend a book?

I am wanting to read a book on the history/story behind WDW and/or Walt himself. Any recommendations?

It's kind of fun to do the impossible- Walt Disney

Re: Can anyone recommend a book?

http://images.barnesandnoble.com/images/2860000/2867676.gif by Bob Thomas

http://images.barnesandnoble.com/images/2860000/2866462.gif

http://images.barnesandnoble.com/images/11450000/11450047.gif

Inside the Dream-The Personal Story of WD by Katherine and Richard Greene (Maybe out of print but can get used copies on BN.com)

Since the World Began by Jeff Kurtti (Again, might be out of print.)

I own all of these. The Neal Gabler one is good, but very long. I liked the Bob Thomas bio better. Since the World Began is a great book about WDW. Good luck finding it though. Inside the Dream has great pictures.

If I think of anymore, I'll let you know, but I'm sure other MiceChatters will have some great books to recommend.
    Last edited by NeverNeverland; 07-29-2007, 09:20 PM. Reason: Hotlinked pictures Removed. Hotlinking is not allowed.

Comment

Designing Disney's Theme Parks: The Architecture of Reassurance (Hardcover)
      by Karal Ann Marling

http://www.amazon.com/Designing-Disn...5544183&sr=1-1

Very nice book with lots of concept art. A bit academic, but very readable and enjoyable. I have seen here speak about WDW and she is just wonderful.

Comment

I can recommend "BUILDING A COMPANY: ROY O. DISNEY AND THE CREATION OF AN ENTERTAINMENT EMPIRE"

It's not about Walt per se, but it's a fascinating different view on Disney and how WDW was created.

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/...VL._AA240_.gif
        Last edited by NeverNeverland; 07-29-2007, 09:20 PM. Reason: Hotlinked Picture Removed

Comment

http://www.miceage.com/kevinyee/ky090204a.htm

Actually, my collection is over 220 now. Hm. I need to update that page.

You asked about WDW. The company's books are not bad (anything by Kurtti), but I also like Koenig's new Realityland book (which won't hit bookstores until later this year), because Koenig does a great job of showing the non-company-line.
          Kevin Yee
          MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
          Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
          Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
          Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
          Mouse Trap
          Tokyo Disney Made Easy
          101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
          Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

Comment

Originally posted by tayakaleb View Post
            I am wanting to read a book on the history/story behind WDW and/or Walt himself. Any recommendations?
            There is a book called the imagineering firld guide to MK/EPCOT/MGM/DAK. They're four seperate books, but they each have alot of info and tell all about each attraction and the story behind it/ how the FX work.
            ADD ME.[:

WHAT I'VE LEARNED FROM MICECHAT...
            1. IF YOU APPRECIATE SOMETHING THAT ISN'T THE MAJORITY OPINION, YOU'RE NOT WANTED HERE.
            2. IF THERE'S CHIPPED PAINT IN THE QUEUE FOR A LINE, EXPECT SOMEONE TO WRITE OUT A BIG STORY BASHING IT. WOOHOO.
            3. IF YOU'RE UNDER THE AGE OF 24, YOU'RE AN 'EISNER BRAT.'
            4. PEOPLE WHO ARE DEEMED AS 'MODERATORS' AND OTHER ADMINISTRATION ARE MORE IMPORTANT DIETIES THAN JESUS CHRIST.
            5. YOU CAN EXCPECT TO BE BADLY REPPED IF YOU TRY AND MAKE A SERIOUS POINT.
            6. YOU ARENT TAKEN SERIOUS IF YOU'RE UNDER THE AGE OF 16.
            7. AS AN ADD-ON TO #6, YOU SHOULD BE TREATED AS A SUBORDINATEIF YOU ARE IN A THEME PARK WAITING 30 MINUTES IN LINE FOR A DRINK WHILE SOMEONE HAS TO RECOUNT PIZZAS.
            8. "Disney may not care to hear your comments, but we do." WTFFF??? THIS ISN'T A DISNEY FAN FORUM, IT'S A DISNETY BASHING SITE.
            9. CERTAIN PEOPLE OVER ANALYZE A SIMPLE THREAD AND CONSIDER IT TO BE A CONTRACT FULL OF LOOPHOLES THAT HE/SHE CAN GET AROUND.
            AND FINALLY...
            10. PROLONGED USE OF THIS SITE CAN CAUSE AN EXTREME HATE OF DISNEY AND ALL DISNEY RELATED THINGS.

M-U-H Muhfukka.
            [:

Comment

Actually, there is no Studios field Guide yet, just DAK, MK, and EPCOT. Rumor is next one is Disneyland.

And I agree with Since the World Began, but I am also looking forward to Realityland in October too!
              It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

Comment

The Neil Gabler book is very good and of course the Field Guides are always a fun read.
                “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

Comment

Originally posted by KevinYee View Post
                  Actually, my collection is over 220 now. Hm. I need to update that page.
                  You must have an awesome library Kevin!

Comment

ok, i went and got The Magic Kingdom by Steven Watts and The Man behind the Magic by Katherine and Richard Greene. We shall see if these are any good! thanks for all the suggestions!!

It's kind of fun to do the impossible- Walt Disney

Comment

Originally posted by yoyoflamingo View Post
                      Actually, there is no Studios field Guide yet, just DAK, MK, and EPCOT. Rumor is next one is Disneyland.

And I agree with Since the World Began, but I am also looking forward to Realityland in October too!
                      oh. well i had only seen MK EPCOT and DAK so i thought there was an MGM book. :whistling
                      ADD ME.[:

1. IF YOU APPRECIATE SOMETHING THAT ISN'T THE MAJORITY OPINION, YOU'RE NOT WANTED HERE.
                      2. IF THERE'S CHIPPED PAINT IN THE QUEUE FOR A LINE, EXPECT SOMEONE TO WRITE OUT A BIG STORY BASHING IT. WOOHOO.
                      4. PEOPLE WHO ARE DEEMED AS 'MODERATORS' AND OTHER ADMINISTRATION ARE MORE IMPORTANT DIETIES THAN JESUS CHRIST.
                      7. AS AN ADD-ON TO #6, YOU SHOULD BE TREATED AS A SUBORDINATEIF YOU ARE IN A THEME PARK WAITING 30 MINUTES IN LINE FOR A DRINK WHILE SOMEONE HAS TO RECOUNT PIZZAS.
                      8. "Disney may not care to hear your comments, but we do." WTFFF??? THIS ISN'T A DISNEY FAN FORUM, IT'S A DISNETY BASHING SITE.
                      9. CERTAIN PEOPLE OVER ANALYZE A SIMPLE THREAD AND CONSIDER IT TO BE A CONTRACT FULL OF LOOPHOLES THAT HE/SHE CAN GET AROUND.
                      AND FINALLY...
                      10. PROLONGED USE OF THIS SITE CAN CAUSE AN EXTREME HATE OF DISNEY AND ALL DISNEY RELATED THINGS.

M-U-H Muhfukka.
                      [:

Comment

Originally posted by evanescence4ever View Post
                        oh. well i had only seen MK EPCOT and DAK so i thought there was an MGM book. :whistling
                        My guess is that they are waiting for the Pixar things to happen, but it's just a guess.
                        It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

Comment

i have been trying to get the roy disney book for ages but everywhere i look it's out of print. what's the buz on this realityland book? if it's like the gabler book, it will be a great read.

Comment

Been reading a lot of Disney related books lately. I can say....
                            STAY AWAY from a book titled "What would Walt Do?"

BLAH!!

I next want to read:
                            Walt Disney and the Quest for Community (Design & the Built Environment)
                            by Steve Mannheim

if can get my hands on a cheaper copy!

Comment

Originally posted by yoyoflamingo View Post
                              My guess is that they are waiting for the Pixar things to happen, but it's just a guess.
                              thats actually a pretty good reason to hold offf on the book
                              ADD ME.[:

AND FINALLY...

M-U-H Muhfukka.
                              [:

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X