Announcement

Collapse

Your Assistance Please

We need your help to battle spammers and also to keep our community user friendly.
PLEASE BE KIND TO OTHERS - Refrain from personal attacks. Avoid politics and harsh language whenever possible. If someone is violating our simple rules, DO NOT confront them, simply report the post.
STOP SPAMMERS - Report the post. DO NOT respond to them.

2017 is a year of renewal for us, we have lots of exciting changes on the way for you, but we don't have time to deal with trolls and spammers. If you find yourself suspended and need to plead your case, you will need to do so after your suspension. We are happy to address your concerns if you made a simple mistake. However, please note that those with a history of bad behavior and pushing our rules to the limit will not be given the courtesy of a reply.

MiceChat offers a number of ways for you to communicate and get involved. We offer Facebook Groups and Pages, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest accounts. We have a front page filled with amazing content. We offer weekly meetups in the parks. Meets and events all over the world. Podcasts and videos. And we continue to maintain forums for your posting convenience. But with all those options, we can't be everywhere all the time. We need YOUR help. Please don't poke the trolls. Report posts and leave reputation. We'll do our best to keep the forums clean and active, but we can't do so without your help.

Thank you for your support folks, it's going to be a really fantastic year in the MiceChat world.
See more
See less

'Compare to Disney' on Universal's Website

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 'Compare to Disney' on Universal's Website

    http://www.universalorlando.com/disney_comparision.html this is the link to Universal Orlando's 'Compare to Disney' page of their website. This thread is not only to discuss what we think of the page and how it spins things or how it proves valid points, just general discussion. Also, the information is wrong as 'Expedition Everest' is not listed under WDW's roller coasters (if there are any other things you consider faults please post). I think while the substance is (mostly, I think) fact, it is very clever in its presentation with Universal's attractions having flashy promo images and bright hyperlinks. What do y'all think? (I have nothing against Universal I just thought this was an interesting page)

  • #2
    Re: 'Compare to Disney' on Universal's Website

    Funny, because I actually was involved in a discussion on another site about this a few months ago. The comparison page really bothers me. First of all "Today's Hottest Entertainment" vs. Disney with "Yesterday's Classic Fairytales" - since when are Toy Story and Monsters INC "classic" fairytales? Fear Factor was also cancelled last year. Not exactly "hot". The roller coasters section is a huge stretch. Pteranodan Flyers listed as a roller coaster? Give me a break. As you've mentioned too, Everest is mysteriously absent. How do Shrek 4D, Twister, and Jimmy Neutron classify as thrilling attractions? Essentially we have a movie, a show featuring a cow on strings, and a ride based on a children's cartoon. Yes, so thrilling. This site ignores the fact that Fastpass is free to all guests and they also make it seem as if there is no advantage to staying on site at Disney. I have no problem with Universal but that page is very misleading.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: 'Compare to Disney' on Universal's Website

      Originally posted by kirbilicious View Post
      Funny, because I actually was involved in a discussion on another site about this a few months ago. The comparison page really bothers me. First of all "Today's Hottest Entertainment" vs. Disney with "Yesterday's Classic Fairytales" - since when are Toy Story and Monsters INC "classic" fairytales? Fear Factor was also cancelled last year. Not exactly "hot". The roller coasters section is a huge stretch. Pteranodan Flyers listed as a roller coaster? Give me a break. As you've mentioned too, Everest is mysteriously absent. How do Shrek 4D, Twister, and Jimmy Neutron classify as thrilling attractions? Essentially we have a movie, a show featuring a cow on strings, and a ride based on a children's cartoon. Yes, so thrilling. This site ignores the fact that Fastpass is free to all guests and they also make it seem as if there is no advantage to staying on site at Disney. I have no problem with Universal but that page is very misleading.
      I agree. If anything, that page only shows how desperate Universal is to draw guests away from Walt Disney World. They should take a hint. Why don't they build some quality attractions and dazzling shows instead of pathetically trying to make their resort sound better than the spectacular Walt Disney World; it's not even close.
      ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: 'Compare to Disney' on Universal's Website

        Originally posted by TDR_Fan View Post
        Why don't they build some quality attractions and dazzling shows instead of pathetically trying to make their resort sound better
        And get rid of their Nazi photographers(!)

        From the second you enter the park (IOA at least) you're harrassed by an army of pushy, camera waving staff members, desperate to sell you a picture. The brave souls who don't want one have to gallantly fight their way through to the back of the Port of Entry.

        Goes with Universal's 'in your face' approach on property and online with that comparison chart.

        Good luck....
        48 Favourites From WDW [Photos]



        Comment


        • #5
          Re: 'Compare to Disney' on Universal's Website

          Originally posted by TDR_Fan View Post
          I agree. If anything, that page only shows how desperate Universal is to draw guests away from Walt Disney World. They should take a hint. Why don't they build some quality attractions and dazzling shows instead of pathetically trying to make their resort sound better than the spectacular Walt Disney World; it's not even close.
          I agree. They're just taking cheap shots at Disney which leave casual guests misinformed. Reading that makes me lose respect for the company. I've heard people mention before that their commercials in the past year or so in Florida focused on Disney-bashing. Can anyone confirm this? They really need to find a better way to market themselves.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: 'Compare to Disney' on Universal's Website

            They also have ticket offers specifically designed to beat Disney (see 'unlimited admission for less than the price of one day at disney' on the home page, I mean, that promotion doesn't even make sense)

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: 'Compare to Disney' on Universal's Website

              Originally posted by kirbilicious View Post
              I agree. They're just taking cheap shots at Disney which leave casual guests misinformed. Reading that makes me lose respect for the company. I've heard people mention before that their commercials in the past year or so in Florida focused on Disney-bashing. Can anyone confirm this? They really need to find a better way to market themselves.
              Yes, their commercials did make it seem like the Disney parks were dated and for little kids. I remember it mocking the attractions by comparing them side by side with clips from the attractions at Universal Studios. From what I could tell, they were trying to make the resort seem juvenile and old fashioned. What was very unfair was that they chose to pair dated and mild attractions like it's a small world and the Fantasyland dark rides with advanced attractions like Spider-Man, Jurassic Park, and Revenge of the Mummy. And the only park that they featured in that commercial was the Magic Kingdom. They didn't even bother to showcase even one of the advanced attractions in any of the parks at Walt Disney World.
              ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: 'Compare to Disney' on Universal's Website

                Also, doesn't Pleasure Island not have a ticket? Just individual clubs' cover charges? That really doesn't seem to be a fair comparison anymore either.
                It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!









                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: 'Compare to Disney' on Universal's Website

                  Originally posted by TDR_Fan View Post
                  Yes, their commercials did make it seem like the Disney parks were dated and for little kids. I remember it mocking the attractions by comparing them side by side with clips from the attractions at Universal Studios. From what I could tell, they were trying to make the resort seem juvenile and old fashioned. What was very unfair was that they chose to pair dated and mild attractions like it's a small world and the Fantasyland dark rides with advanced attractions like Spider-Man, Jurassic Park, and Revenge of the Mummy. And the only park that they featured in that commercial was the Magic Kingdom. They didn't even bother to showcase even one of the advanced attractions in any of the parks at Walt Disney World.
                  Wow - that does seem really desperate and pathetic. Do they still run commercials like this?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: 'Compare to Disney' on Universal's Website

                    Seemingly they can't advertise on their own strengths so prey on Disney's 'weaknesses'.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: 'Compare to Disney' on Universal's Website

                      I'm thinking Universal hasn't updated that comparison page in a very long time since it doesn't include Everest and the revamped Pleasure Island.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: 'Compare to Disney' on Universal's Website

                        Isn't there some law against that or something?!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: 'Compare to Disney' on Universal's Website

                          Originally posted by kirbilicious View Post
                          Wow - that does seem really desperate and pathetic. Do they still run commercials like this?
                          I'm not sure. If I ever see that commercial again, I'll simply change the channel.
                          ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: 'Compare to Disney' on Universal's Website

                            Originally posted by aimster View Post
                            I'm thinking Universal hasn't updated that comparison page in a very long time since it doesn't include Everest and the revamped Pleasure Island.
                            I bet they're just dying to get it updated..........in a year or six.

                            48 Favourites From WDW [Photos]



                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: 'Compare to Disney' on Universal's Website

                              Originally posted by EPCOT View Post
                              I bet they're just dying to get it updated..........in a year or six.

                              Yet I bet they wouldn't hesitate to update their section whenever they add something new, while pretending to be too lazy too update the Walt Disney World list.
                              ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X