This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carousel of Progress - FastPass!

Recently Space Mountain has been giving out surprise or bonus FastPasses for Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress. Guests who use their Carousel of Progress FastPasses enter one side of the turnstyles and 'standby' guests enter on the other. All guests wait until the next show and then FastPass guests enter the attraction first.

I have often heard about suprise FastPasses being offered for other attractions (ie for Mission:Space via TestTrack before version orange/green,) but not for a non-FastPass attraction.

I guess they have decided that they want to up the number of guests who visit Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress. Families with older parents might be aware of this attraction (from previous visits or from the World Fair) whild younger families (who might be overwhelmed) may simply walk by this classic attraction. Now they will at least give more thought into visiting it. That is my theory as to why these FastPasses are given out and why they are okay in my book. (So far.)

What do you think? How do you feel about this attraction being given a FastPass and a surprise one at that?

Re: Carousel of Progress - FastPass!

It is a rather clever means of bringing attention to an attraction that I am sure many guests walk right past. The irony I see is that FastPass probably plays a part in people walking right past attractions without noticing them.

Comment

I have never encountered a line. It has always been a "walk-on" for me - so I guess I am surprised at the need for Fastpass other than to entice people to see it. We go for the music

Hey! This is my 500th post!
      "First of all I would like to make one thing perfectly clear.
      I never explain anything." Mary Poppins
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Comment

we got one with out buzz fastpass a couple of weekends ago. I think it's a good idea, you can go on the carousel while you are waiting for your time for your other ride. gets more people over the attraction and breaks up the crowds in tommorrowland as well.

Comment

its a great big beautiful tomoorroooowww....I think its a good idea =O) thanx for the info

Comment

i do think it will help in getting more people to go in this classic attraction!

It's kind of fun to do the impossible- Walt Disney

Comment

I think its a great idea!

Comment

I think there should be more on the outside of the attraction so people are more aware of it being there
                My Blog: http://imagineeringmind.wordpress.com

Parks Visited: MK - EPCOT - DHS - DAK - DL - DCA - HKDL - TDL - TDS

Comment

Is the surprise fastpass tied in to the YOAMD?

Comment

Fastpass is most deffinitely not needed at CoP because of lines... there never is one. However this is a pretty clever way to increase traffic to the attraction. My only concern is the current condition of the ride. I haven't had a chance to visit it in a while but the last I heard it was in really bad shape. So are they giving these new visitors to the attraction a bad first impression? Or have the done some much needed maintenance prior to starting this promotion?

Comment

I think it's a good idea, you can go on the carousel while you are waiting for your time for your other ride. gets more people over the attraction and breaks up the crowds in tommorrowland as well.
                      That is an excellent reason for having the fast pass. It makes sense.

Comment

each time I have seen a bonus fastpass of sorts its for an attraction that is geenraly not that busy (ie honey I shrunk the audience). it does seem however to be a good way to point out something someone can do while waiting for their fastpass times to come up. helps with traffic, gets people on the slower attractions. I'd be interested to see how many of them are redeemed.

Comment

When I first read the title of the thread, my reaction was "Why ?"

Then I read your explination, and if makes sense to me. Do the bonus fastpasses come with a map of Tomorrowland on them so people know where the CoP is?

And I agree with the other poster that CoP needs some sort of visual draw on the outside. Because of the lack of lines, it looks a lot like a a closed show building, not like the entrance to a working attraction.

-dave

-dave
                          "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
                          "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

Comment

I have mixed feelings about this. I've always loved the CoP, and hope it never goes away. And I agree that these special FP's will influence more people to see the show than before. That said, however, I can't help but feel that there's something terribly wrong with an attraction when people have to be basically tricked into seeing it. If ridership really increases, and stays increased after the promotion stops, then all's well. But I'd bet that as soon as they stop with the FP's, ridership will revert to its previously low level. It doesn't bode well for the future of this long standing classic.

Comment

Didn't they do this with Honey I shrunk the Audience a few years back at EPCOT? I think I remember hearing something like that.

They used to do this at DCA as well with Muppets/ITTBAB.

Again, it's not because you 'need' a fastpass to have no line, it brings attention to these attractions. For Disney, people see that CoP is there, for other people, they think they got something FREE!!! It's a win/win.

Comment

Even I would have to agree though that the Carousel could use some TLC. It's one of my favorite rides and I would like to see it get some love. I would hate for it to give a family the wrong impression based on it's current state.

Comment

I think I encountered a line maybe once or twice. But good idea to boost attendance to CoP!!
                                  :ap: AP Holder. :ap:
                                  Stay at home mom of 4 - Austin, Tyler, Sierra and Ashlyn.

Comment

I always see a huge line at the Carousel of Progress...

for the Buzz Lightyear Meet and Greets.

Comment

Originally posted by lazyboy97O View Post
                                      I always see a huge line at the Carousel of Progress...

for the Buzz Lightyear Meet and Greets.
                                      I think that's the only time we encountered a line!! LOL
                                      :ap: AP Holder. :ap:
                                      Stay at home mom of 4 - Austin, Tyler, Sierra and Ashlyn.

Comment

But I also think that helps bring attention to the CoP!
                                        Good morning, son
                                        In twenty years from now
                                        Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
                                        And I can tell you 'bout today
                                        And how I picked you up and everything changed
                                        It was pain
                                        Sunny days and rain
                                        I knew you'd feel the same things...

sigpic

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X