This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• making transportation more "magical"

Seeing as the monorail will never get updated to provide access to all 4 parks (although we know they should do that at least), do you think it's kinda shoddy that the Disney transport buses lack a lot of flare. I mean all they basically are are city buses with the Disney logo on the sides. The big plus with these buses is that theyre very clean. However if theyre going to be the main transportation around the parks perhaps they should have something a little extra. I dunno what honestly, maybe you do?

Re: making transportation more "magical"

WDW needs major transport upgrades... but it won't happen. You will never see the same level of "disney show" applied to the busses (as those Disney Cruiser Busses at TDR), or the same level of (automated) efficiency of the TDR Line monorails.

Comment

When I was at WDW for Labor Day, I found it nice that some of the buses had themed music to the resort they were servicing. For example, the bus to the Yacht & Beach Clubs had period music. The bus to Pop Century had music from TV shows, etc. I thought this was a nice touch.

Some buses also had pre-recorded announcements. I think for safety, they can't really do much more.

Comment

I think having a seat for most guests would be "magical". It doesn't feel safe to have so many people standing, whether I'm standing or sitting. If there was an accident, a lot of people could get hurt.

Other than that, stop calling them motorcoaches. They are buses. Motorcoaches are more luxurious.

I have had to stand a number of times in the past couple of days on very packed buses. I feel bad for the women/men carrying kids with no place to sit. Disney should have more buses on the routes. A few people standing isn't a big deal. Half the bus standing means that there aren't enough buses on the route.
        Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Originally posted by TDLFAN
        I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
        on Bay Lake.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeland View Post
          When I was at WDW for Labor Day, I found it nice that some of the buses had themed music to the resort they were servicing. For example, the bus to the Yacht & Beach Clubs had period music. The bus to Pop Century had music from TV shows, etc. I thought this was a nice touch.

Some buses also had pre-recorded announcements. I think for safety, they can't really do much more.

They all will soon. The spiel is now keyed to transponders along the route. As the bus passes certain points it plays certain music and speeches.

Sort of takes the driver out of the picture. Some of the drivers were very entertaining, some could barely get the names of the stops right.

-dave
          "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
          "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

Comment

Yeah, the background music and spiels are part of the Magic in Motion system being rolled out. Once the system is completely implemented, all the busses will be tracked via GPS and their location reported to a central dispatcher, who will be monitoring the bus queues via camera. The theory is that this should allow for more dynamic routing of busses to the routes that need it the most.

Comment

Originally posted by nbodyhome View Post
              I think having a seat for most guests would be "magical". It doesn't feel safe to have so many people standing, whether I'm standing or sitting. If there was an accident, a lot of people could get hurt.

Other than that, stop calling them motorcoaches. They are buses. Motorcoaches are more luxurious.

I have had to stand a number of times in the past couple of days on very packed buses. I feel bad for the women/men carrying kids with no place to sit. Disney should have more buses on the routes. A few people standing isn't a big deal. Half the bus standing means that there aren't enough buses on the route.

Motorcoach = bus - it's the same thing. Thats the "new" word for it. For some people it does convey a sense of luxury, but I have seen city busses called motorcoachs now.

I think the busses are quite adequite for the routes. Its very impractical to add dozens of busses for the peaking times. Overall there are enought to serve the needs.

If somone wants a seat, they can just wait for the next bus, its not really a problem. Just be glad WDW does not have "all standee" busses.

-dave
              "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
              "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

Comment

Originally posted by Phonedave View Post
                Motorcoach = bus - it's the same thing. Thats the "new" word for it. For some people it does convey a sense of luxury, but I have seen city busses called motorcoachs now.

If somone wants a seat, they can just wait for the next bus, its not really a problem. Just be glad WDW does not have "all standee" busses.

-dave
                Actually, it's not a new word. I worked at DRC in 2000, and that was what we were supposed to call them. I stopped doing it after a guest said "oh, you have motorcoaches now? I'm so excited, you used to have buses!" IMHO, Disney should exceed expectations - not give people a word that denotes a nicer ride than they are going to get.

As far as getting a seat on a next bus - the lines have been so long on most bus rides I've had this week, there has nearly always been people standing. Lots of people, starting from the back to the front of the bus. I find this unacceptable. There is very little I find unacceptable as far as Disney goes, but having little kids standing, moms with babies, etc. - it doesn't matter if I sit or stand, an accident will turn everyone into projectiles. Having guests standing just means that there are many more of them. I can't change my mind on this, I have never liked it - and sometimes it's worse than other times. I have no problem being packed into a 5 minute monorail ride, the accident possibility is much slighter and the ride much shorter.
                Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

Comment

Teleportation anyone?

I'm sure WDI is working on it...
                  sigpic

Originally posted by Phonedave
                  Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

Comment

Originally posted by WDW Monorail View Post
                    Teleportation anyone?

I'm sure WDI is working on it...
                    Maybe more walking paths. I'd rather walk than take the bus to most places anyway.

Other than that, teleportation would work!
                    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

Comment

The buses suck. They should at least have DVD's playing on monitors for the kids.
                      Do NOT pull down on the safety bar, please...I will lower it for you...

Comment

Originally posted by gaston lives View Post
                        The buses suck. They should at least have DVD's playing on monitors for the kids.
                        Where would the monitors be? I am not sure they need monitors, just seats.
                        Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

Comment

They need more buses run to DTD. We were there in August at the Wilderness Lodge and waited well over an hour for a bus back to our resort. During this time, they had 3 buses to Fort Wilderness & our bus had to stop there too (which was very impractical since they had their own bus). When the bus finally did come, it was over-packed and had no standing room left by the time we pulled out of the Pleasure Island stop.

.. a dream is a wish your heart makes

Comment

Actually, it's not a new word. I worked at DRC in 2000, and that was what we were supposed to call them. I stopped doing it after a guest said "oh, you have motorcoaches now? I'm so excited, you used to have buses!" IMHO, Disney should exceed expectations - not give people a word that denotes a nicer ride than they are going to get.
                            Thats why "new" is in quotes. It's not a new word, but the industry has been moving toward referring to just about everyting as coaches. Maybe in 2000 it did mean a higher level of luxury, but now, more and more "busses: are being referred to as "coaches"

As far as getting a seat on a next bus - the lines have been so long on most bus rides I've had this week, there has nearly always been people standing. Lots of people, starting from the back to the front of the bus. I find this unacceptable. There is very little I find unacceptable as far as Disney goes, but having little kids standing, moms with babies, etc. - it doesn't matter if I sit or stand, an accident will turn everyone into projectiles. Having guests standing just means that there are many more of them. I can't change my mind on this, I have never liked it - and sometimes it's worse than other times. I have no problem being packed into a 5 minute monorail ride, the accident possibility is much slighter and the ride much shorter.
                            I personaly give up my seat if there is a PERSON standing with a baby - mom or dad, or a little kid. However what would your solution be, to eliminate all standees? Standees are a part of riding the bus, same goes for trains as well. I guess maybe I am used to it, so I don't think of it as a safety factor. Everything else on the bus is going to become a projectile as well.

I can see you concern, but aside from the infirm (for whatever reason) I just don't feel it as strongly.

-dave

Comment

I personaly give up my seat if there is a PERSON standing with a baby - mom or dad, or a little kid. However what would your solution be, to eliminate all standees? Standees are a part of riding the bus, same goes for trains as well. I guess maybe I am used to it, so I don't think of it as a safety factor. Everything else on the bus is going to become a projectile as well.

-dave
                              I never have really ridden a bus elsewhere that had others standing. I don't care if a few people are standing. But when there isn't room for all the families with kids to sit down, and when there isn't room to take one step without stepping on a childs foot, when it's hard to get a handrail - I do have a problem with that.

I have ridden the Metro in DC when it's been very busy - there is a big difference to me between a metro and a bus. The metro is on a track, a nd there aren't other cars/buses and such jockeying for that same track. There probably aren't too many drunk drivers on those tracks either. The other day, had there been an accident, I may have flown out the front window (or hit my body against it, anyway). There would have been nowhere else for me to go, and others were already hitting against me, and stepping on me as we drove along. Also, there aren't usually as many infants/kids on the metro during the busy time - and that is another issue for me. I do think that buses should be driven with most guests on their butts. A few standing, fine. Not half/half.

As far as the word motorcoach - blah. Give me a plush seat and a bathroom in the bus, and I'll use that word. Though usually I'll still call it a bus!
                              Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

Comment

I never have really ridden a bus elsewhere that had others standing. I don't care if a few people are standing. But when there isn't room for all the families with kids to sit down, and when there isn't room to take one step without stepping on a childs foot, when it's hard to get a handrail - I do have a problem with that.

I have ridden the Metro in DC when it's been very busy - there is a big difference to me between a metro and a bus. The metro is on a track, a nd there aren't other cars/buses and such jockeying for that same track. There probably aren't too many drunk drivers on those tracks either. The other day, had there been an accident, I may have flown out the front window (or hit my body against it, anyway). There would have been nowhere else for me to go, and others were already hitting against me, and stepping on me as we drove along. Also, there aren't usually as many infants/kids on the metro during the busy time - and that is another issue for me. I do think that buses should be driven with most guests on their butts. A few standing, fine. Not half/half.

As far as the word motorcoach - blah. Give me a plush seat and a bathroom in the bus, and I'll use that word. Though usually I'll still call it a bus!
                                Makes sense to me now.

I have stood on a bus, jammed in like sardines, for over an hour at times, when I used to commute to New York City. Being backed up in the Lincoln Tunnel is no picnic. WDW busses are an enjoyable ride to me.

I find the whole coach thing funny as well. Everything is now called a coach.

Most busses have a standee limit on them. The NJ transit busses have it posted on the side of the bus, and very often the driver will not stop when their bus is "legally" full. I have only seen Disney drivers do the "everybody must be behind the white line" rule, and never do a head count.

-dave

Comment

With regards to the music, please, please, please have more then one sequence of music for the locations. By the end of my stay in OKW I had had enough of the CO-co-NUT! (did you know its stong as a lion) CO-co-Nut! I pity the poor bus drivers that have to listen to those same songs all day.

Comment

Most busses have a standee limit on them. The NJ transit busses have it posted on the side of the bus, and very often the driver will not stop when their bus is "legally" full. I have only seen Disney drivers do the "everybody must be behind the white line" rule, and never do a head count.

-dave
                                    On one of my last bus trips this week (I'm actually staying on property, though I needed to drive home for this evening), the bus was full. Full in the seats, full in the aisle. But the bus driver wanted more on the bus. So he kept urging everyone to squish together. It was already crowded.

It isn't as big a deal to me if it is all able-bodied adults, though I can't imagine commuting for an hour standing in a very busy bus. I wouldn't like that! But once you start having to juggle kids, and I had to deal with little kids standing beside me - it feels unsafe. It's funny how we need to have seats and buckle in on planes, in cars - but on buses, it's anything goes. And then the bus announcement comes on to stay securely in your seat.

The Magical Express buses are more like coaches, I just think you call something what it is!

Some of the music I like also - some not so much. I do like the Pop Music - when I can hear it.

I don't envy your commute, Dave. I can imagine why Disney's buses don't seem so bad.
                                    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

Comment

I hate the buses.... truly and honestly hate them and there is ALWAYS a line at park closing... As I was raised to be a gentleman (ok bear with me on this ppl) I give up my seat to anyone holding a child or who is walking with a cane, etc. Even though I have a bum knee and a bad shoulder and really really just want to sit down and rest for a bit after running flat out for 12 hours or more...

I think I've made this rant before but....

What is the financial motivator behind the Disney Bus transportation system? All Disney needs (and I really really hate to sound ghoulish here) is to have a couple serious accidents with the buses and the associated lawsuits to follow to make a fairly strong case for Monorail expansion. The bad press of having a small child have to spend the rest of his life in a wheelchair or worse because a Disney bus driver overloaded the bus and a good lawyer could easily prove its standard practice to do so, would cost the company far far more than a few monorails from Bombardier. Its a major liability that I'm not sure is figured into the spreadsheets upper management is looking at...

With the price of deisel and tax breaks for alternative energy vehicles the operating costs have to be staggering. If the pylons are an issue why not light rail or some alternative transports that are truly "mass" transports that are off the roads and therefore less likely to be involved in an accident. Whats more the latest monorails are fully automatic and would save a fortune on labor costs alone... Whatever technology is used it can be done cleaner, faster, safer, and in the long run cheaper than buses. And more importantly... more seats per vehicle so no one has to stand unless they *really* want to.

Yes they will tell us there's technical problems... some of which may be staggering, my response? Thats what Imagineers are for! :ap:
                                      Whatever happened to "if we can dream it we can do it" anyway? Oh yeah Eisner... nuff said.
                                      Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

Comment

New monorails are not the answer. They are way too expensive to make the cost prohibitive no matter what kind of lawsuit disney gets hit with, plus they're just not efficient enough for the number of people who would need transport now.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X