Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Live From EPCOT's 25th!

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Live From EPCOT's 25th!

    Opus...reporting LIVE from EPCOT Center! Quick report...

    Beautiful morning. The "Power of Walt" kept that bad weather away for this mornings festivities. They were playing all the original entrance music throughout the Park, which as great to hear.

    Entering the Park, everyone got a nice 3" Birthday Button and the Retro Map and special entertainment and event schedule.

    The line for the Pin Center went all the way back to Spaceship Earth's entrance. Looooooong! Other lines for limited edition merchandise and shirts at various kiosks. Mouse Gear was the place to go though as there were hardly any lines in there. The shirts and the LE Figment plushes were going fast. The Figment is dressed in a shiny tux with top had, and the material has the old EPCOT Center logos in it. The bottom of one foot has the limited edition business. They were selling like hotcakes along with the shirts (and pins, of course). Really a lot of fun.

    Ceremony was very nice with Execs, Ambassadors, and Marty Sklar talking. Had Future World and World Showcase Cast with logo banners. They they reenacted the fountain water pouring ceremony and called off each country and where their water came from within their countries. Finale was fountain, music and daytime fireworks.

    I thought it was rather nice myself...and not too many plugs for YOMD. Well done! And a lot of excitement from all the fans. Haven't seen the EPCOT display yet.

    Prior...as the old soundtracks played...the crowd was singing along, and that was fun.

    Then about 10 minutes after it was all over...it started to rain pretty good. But Walt kept it clear for the ceremony. Looks like it's going to rain on and off for some time. The line for the pins is just as long as before....huge!

    Well...gotta go. Almost lunchtime! More later.

  • #2
    Re: Live From EPCOT's 25th!

    Nice! Thanks for sharing Opus Keep us updated!

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Live From EPCOT's 25th!

      Thanks Opus1guy! Did you take any pictures?

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Live From EPCOT's 25th!

        Loving the reports.

        Looks like I may have to look on Ebay for one of the shirts.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Live From EPCOT's 25th!

          I want a retro map!

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Live From EPCOT's 25th!

            Great report Ops! Keep us updated!

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Live From EPCOT's 25th!

              Very cool. What fun to be at the park on such an occasion.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Live From EPCOT's 25th!

                Was John Lasseter there?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Live From EPCOT's 25th!

                  I should have 50 - 100 pics up within the hour. It was very nice, but Marty Sklars talk was the best!

                  Denise
                  Denise

                  www.mousesteps.com




                  Favorite TDL Typo:

                  Originally posted by TDLFAN
                  I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
                  on Bay Lake.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Live From EPCOT's 25th!

                    Originally posted by nbodyhome View Post
                    I should have 50 - 100 pics up within the hour. It was very nice, but Marty Sklars talk was the best!

                    Denise
                    because he said ... ? cmon now, toss us a bone here

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Live From EPCOT's 25th!

                      I so wish I could be there today, even in this bad weather! I live in S. FL and the weather is so bad today. Almost like a mini trop. storm. Was thinking about those of you at EPCOT Center today. Can't wait for the pics.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Live From EPCOT's 25th!

                        Originally posted by tjcjr View Post
                        because he said ... ? cmon now, toss us a bone here
                        Hey, I have to get back to Epcot, I'm working on the pics! But we were not allowed to take photos in the Circle of Life, unfortunately. He gave a solid hour talk, with loads of photos I'd never seen (and I didn't know that Iran was almost a pavillion, I found that interesting!) So much he talked about. I wish everyone could have been there.
                        Denise

                        www.mousesteps.com




                        Favorite TDL Typo:

                        Originally posted by TDLFAN
                        I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
                        on Bay Lake.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Live From EPCOT's 25th!

                          Sorry folks...no pics from me. I don't carry around a camera anymore. I did shoot some crummy cell phone video, but the card adapter I need to upload them is at home. Besides, I'm sure there will be thousands of good quality photos and videos on the web any time now from other folks.

                          On with the report:

                          Sun...Rain...Sun...Rain.

                          We had a fantastic lunch at Chef de France. Got a nice window seat and just in time to witness the second rain and wind blast of the day. If you didn't know how warm it was outside, you could swear you were dining in France on a gray winter day! But we were in the perfect spot.

                          I had Dinner at Chefs de France on opening night exactly 25 years ago today, and I wanted to have dinner there again tonight, but the rest of my party had other plans, so I had to settle for Lunch here instead.



                          The "Retro Menu" item we had heard each restaurant was going to be offering turned out to be one item from the 1982 Opening Day Menu. In the case of Chefs de France, it was Boeuf Bourguignon at a 2007 price of $24.95...which I didn't try. But the one-item Retro Menu was on a nice pre-printed EPCOT 25 card stock. Collect 'em all, I guess.

                          A great Anniversary Lunch!

                          Then it was off to the 2:00pm presentation by Marty Sklar in the Circle of Life theater. Marty did a first rate job and had an interesting presentation complete with multimedia. I especially liked his tribute to the original EPCOT music.

                          Saw Dave Smith.

                          We grabbed Fastpasses to Soarin' on the way out of The Land, and then when over to see the EPCOT historical display that Randy Webster and his team at WDI put together on short notice. It's supposed to stay up for 90 days and then they'll make a determination if they will extend its stay. It's really great but fellows...next time I'll lend you my complete EPCOT Center Pre-Opening ticket, so you don't have to display just a used stub!

                          I go into Guest Relations to type this and no sooner than I sit down and another big wet blow comes from Mother Nature. Perhaps I shouldn't do Live trip reports anymore.

                          What else. Shirts and Figments sold out. The free Retro map/guides seem to be gone...scarfed up by all the collectors. The generic ones are back out. If you're lucky you might find some still at a few obscure locations, but don't count on it. Lots of pins including the Passholder one were still available as of a few minutes ago, but that line is still darn long. Perhaps this rain will chase some away.

                          Great festive feeling everywhere on the part of both Guests and Cast Members. Lots of Guests are wearing their original or new Retrowear with old EPCOT Center logos, which is fun to see. And the old music playing everywhere is great to hear, as I mentioned before. And running into a lot of friends and old timers.

                          Glad I came. Only wish Ralph Kent could have lived to see this. I was supposed to see him this trip, and almost canceled it when he passed away a few weeks ago. We'll toast him tonight and I might swing by what's left of The Boo tonight before heading back to the hotel.

                          So Long For Now...from (for today, at least)...EPCOT Center! More stuff still to do and see!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Live From EPCOT's 25th!

                            Those guide maps look great!
                            sigpic


                            Originally posted by Phonedave
                            Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Live From EPCOT's 25th!

                              ^^ I want to see one!

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Re: Live From EPCOT's 25th!

                                Originally posted by aimster View Post
                                ^^ I want to see one!
                                They are exactly the same as my signature picture with the "Guidemap" title and some other writing. I'm sure tha someone will post a picture of it here on MC. Otherwise, it's on a magical WDW site.
                                sigpic


                                Originally posted by Phonedave
                                Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Re: Live From EPCOT's 25th!

                                  By 5pm they were out of the freebie EPCOT 25th buttons they were giving away at the gate. So latecomers didn't get the button or the retro map/guide. Oh well.

                                  A great late afternoon with Soarin' and the new Mexico attraction. Lots of fun. Then dinner...fantastic!

                                  During dinner it was apparent that the skies had opened up yet again as folks were streaming and steaming by just drenched to the bone.

                                  After dinner we when out to see the special Illuminations with the 4 minute 25th tag using the WWIII barges. It looked good weather wise at that point. But five minutes to 9pm...it starts pouring...just pouring. About 10,000 Guests made for the gates. Which turned out to be good because as the show started at 9:05pm...the rain completely stopped and it was beautiful and much less crowded.

                                  The usual great Illuminations, but the tag was really great. Duck and cover time at the Grand Finale! Awesome. They didn't do any old EPCOT music as part of the show or any audio or video of Walt from his EPCOT film...that had been the rumor going around. But it was still a great tag.

                                  At the end of the show Spaceship Earth was lasered with some nice animation of the old EPCOT Center graphic logo...some 25th stuff...and then the EPCOT "Center" font itself. That was nice to see.

                                  Leaving the Park I had to stop by the Monorail station and just look at that beautiful Spaceship Earth (without the wand!) and listen to the 1982 EPCOT Center Entrance Fanfare track being played. It just brought back so many exciting memories.

                                  Whew! What a day. All in all I think they did a great job considering they were late to their own party. Thumbs up to all, but especially to those independent people and organizations that put a fire under Disney to publicly recognize this important milestone.

                                  One more thing. Didn't see a soul all day from any media outlets. No Press being escorted. Nada. Just a few Disney cameramen wandering around capturing things for the company. So this really did have the feel of one of the old-time celebrations that used to be done mainly for the Guests rather than the media. Because of that...the day had a real nice feel to it, IMHO.

                                  Good Night Gracie.

                                  Last edited by Opus1guy; 10-01-2007, 07:29 PM.

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Re: Live From EPCOT's 25th!

                                    Sounds like everything, except weather, was good!! I wish I could've gotten down there for the day. I'll have to look on e-bay for one of those Figments!
                                    :ap: AP Holder. :ap:
                                    Stay at home mom of 4 - Austin, Tyler, Sierra and Ashlyn.


                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Re: Live From EPCOT's 25th!

                                      Originally posted by Opus1guy View Post
                                      By 5pm they were out of the freebie EPCOT 25th buttons they were giving away at the gate. So latecomers didn't get the button or the retro map/guide. Oh well.

                                      A great late afternoon with Soarin' and the new Mexico attraction. Lots of fun. Then dinner...fantastic!

                                      During dinner it was apparent that the skies had opened up yet again as folks were streaming and steaming by just drenched to the bone.

                                      After dinner we when out to see the special Illuminations with the 4 minute 25th tag using the WWIII barges. It looked good weather wise at that point. But five minutes to 9pm...it starts pouring...just pouring. About 10,000 Guests made for the gates. Which turned out to be good because as the show started at 9:05pm...the rain completely stopped and it was beautiful and much less crowded.

                                      The usual great Illuminations, but the tag was really great. Duck and cover time at the Grand Finale! Awesome. They didn't do any old EPCOT music as part of the show or any audio or video of Walt from his EPCOT film...that had been the rumor going around. But it was still a great tag.

                                      At the end of the show Spaceship Earth was lasered with some nice animation of the old EPCOT Center graphic logo...some 25th stuff...and then the EPCOT "Center" font itself. That was nice to see.

                                      Leaving the Park I had to stop by the Monorail station and just look at that beautiful Spaceship Earth (without the wand!) and listen to the 1982 EPCOT Center Entrance Fanfare track being played. It just brought back so many exciting memories.

                                      Whew! What a day. All in all I think they did a great job considering they were late to their own party. Thumbs up to all, but especially to those independent people and organizations that put a fire under Disney to publicly recognize this important milestone.

                                      One more thing. Didn't see a soul all day from any media outlets. No Press being escorted. Nada. Just a few Disney cameramen wandering around capturing things for the company. So this really did have the feel of one of the old-time celebrations that used to be done mainly for the Guests rather than the media. Because of that...the day had a real nice feel to it, IMHO.

                                      Good Night Gracie.


                                      Thank you for the wonderful updates. It was nice to see they could do an old fashioned celebration.

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Re: Live From EPCOT's 25th!

                                        I just got back home from EPCOT Center. It was a great day to be at the park, even with the inclement weather from time to time.

                                        The first hint of this being a special day came as opening day music was being played in lieu of the normal music loop played now a days... That was a great welcome present into the park. The Rededication at 10:01am was short but sweet. Micechat.com was well represented on stage... hehehe (lips are sealed) Marty Sklar talked and pyro went of over CommuniCore buildings, while the crowd got confetti streamers showers from above.

                                        Due to having to compromise my time with my G-Fan, whose birthday was also today, I sadly had to miss the Sklar talks in the Circle of Life pavillion, but I greatly enjoyed the exhibition they put behind the Coke/Beverly Club place... Much to my G-Fan's embarrasment, I got teary eyed while reading and re-living the exhibits, and opening day artifacts, old costumes, opening day music...etc etc. A CM came up to me and said "don't be embarrased to cry... it's been happening all day!".

                                        After a great meal at Tutti Italia, we settled in a good spot for IllumiNations.. Same nightly show, but followed by a very grand finale similar to those explosive pyro blasts we all love to see on the 4th of July and New year's eve. Fabulous. Of course, 10 minutes to 9pm, the skies opened and it rained hard for about 15 mins... The show was delayed until 9:15pm or so...

                                        I have few pics from the day.. and hope to post them soon.

                                        Comment

                                        Get Away Today Footer

                                        Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X