This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honeymooning at WDW

My fiance and I are getting married on June 21st of 2008 and have decided to honeymoon at Walt Disney World, probably between June 22 and 28.

We're currently discussing where to stay and since this is once in a lifetime, we want to do a deluxe hotel. We've already ruled out the Grand Floridian due to expense. We were between Contemporary and Wilderness Lodge, but after chatting with the fiance, now the Poly is on the table too. Any advice or preferences is welcome.

Also, we would LIKE to try and do a Disney Cruise as well in roughly the same time frame. Anyone have any thoughts to share on that too?

Any help here would be wonderful. Thanks!

Re: Honeymooning at WDW

The Polynesian isn't so much less expensive then the GF. If I was having a honeymoon at Disney though..that is the resort I'd choose. Very romantic, and a great location.

The Wilderness Lodge is less pricey, but the rooms are going to be much smaller. If you can push your wedding into July, it appears that value season rates start at the Polynesian on 7/20 (two weeks later than the last few years). It would help cut some costs. The cruises are high priced during the summer, I'd not go during the high season. (but I know that not everyone has the luxury of choosing when to go).

Oh - and congratulations!
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Originally posted by TDLFAN
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

Comment

Congrats and welcome!!

Will be staying at the Poly next week and will let you know (probably via a trip report posted here) how we liked it. Will do my best to pay attention to the "romantic aspect" of it for you.

Can't help you with the other resort options since I haven't stayed at any of those. I do have to say though that I've always gotten great advice here and have the utmost respect for Denise's and other Micechatters opinions.

Comment

Congrats and welcome!! You're getting married on my birthday.. exellent choice!!
        We honeymooned at Disneyland and it was wonderful. I can imagine that WDW will be even better.. more stuff to do and places to go and things to eat!

To live would be an awfully big adventure.

Comment

I would avoid the Contemporary, just doesn't have the romantic atmosphere appropriate for a honeymoon.

The Polynesian is a gorgeous resort. A lot of romance and very much like a tropical getaway. The Wilderness Lodge is also like a hidden hideaway in WDW, and seems miles away from theme parks. The WL is a cheaper than the Poly, so if money's an issue, I would try the WL. However, if there's no limit to the money, you might want the Poly just for the romance, and the seclusion, yet the convenience of the monorail.

All in all, if money is no object, I'd stick with the Polynesian. But, the Wilderness Lodge can be equally as romantic too! Look at websites to see which you would prefer. Either one is fantastic!

Congratulations!
          It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

Comment

My wife and I honeymooned at the Poly. Was great. I suggest looking online for discount codes if you can find em. I am at work at the moment but once I get home I can post links that I have to great sites for info on the Poly and discount information. I might even post pics I have.

The staff at the Poly is very friendly and helpful. I booked a garden view room via the code and got a week with park tickets and the dining plan for around $3500. When we got there we found we had been upgraded to the Hawaii building and its concierge service for free. Lagoon View too.

The best advice I can give you is to make sure to inform every CM you talk to that its your honeymoon and get both the buttons at City Hall and the wedding ears. Though my wife did not like to wear them as she claimed they hurt her ears.

In any case good luck and have fun.
            Last edited by Mnemorath; 10-12-2007, 07:57 PM.
            SEMPER ABSURDA

Comment

We Honeymooned at both the Yacht Club and the Poly. I'd have to say, I loved the Yacht Club more, as they gave us a comped upgrade to concierge. At Poly, we had a crappy view, (the sidewalk) but we did have a nice bottle of wine with glasses waiting for us in our room when we got there. If you do stay there I would ask for a view of either the MK or the pool. Be sure and tell them that it's your honeymoon! Tell everyone when you make any reservations.

Let me also suggest making a reservation at Cinderella's Royal Table in the MK. We went for our anniversary a couple years ago and they not only put us by the window, but they also decorated our table and gave us champagne flutes with the logo and in a pretty box.

We stayed at Wilderness last time ('05) and loved it. It's a little out of the way, as you have to take either a boat or a bus to get anywhere (if you don't rent a car) but you really do feel like you're out in the Wilderness, and it's such a beautiful resort. On our anniversary day one of the staff came to our room and gave us a really nice anniversary card with two chocolate totem poles!

Comment

First off congrats!

My wife and did our honeymoon at the Polynesian a little over 10 years ago. Yes I know she deserves a medal! We had a wonderful time of it and it is probaly the most romantic of all the resorts IMHO. Take the time to relax and enjoy the resort, the hammoks on the beach are a great and cozy way to enjoy the fireworks at the Maic Kingdom. The other reason I love the Poly is you can walk to the TTC and ho the monorails to the MK or Epcot Center it is probably the most convienet of all the hotels from that perspective.

Now the Wilderness Lodge is also a nice choice, they have hot tubs on property and well they are always fun, ask about the secluded one on the Villas side for privacy. Speaking of which the lodge s off the Monorail and is somewhat less busy so it lends itself more to relaxing bt the rooms are a bit smaller and since its basically one big building some rooms can be quite noisey compared to the Poly.

The contemporary would be my last choice of the three, its a wonderful hotel but its a very "busy" place and I do not find it relaxing. There is also a lot of construction going on right now and I don't know what impact that might have on your stay.

Hope this helps and most of all Have a magical time.
                Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

Comment

Congrats! Good luck planning your trip!

The Poly is my favorite hotel on property. It has a great location, not to mention an amazing atmopshere! Fellow MiceChatter, Tikiman has a site dedicated to the resort if you would like more information on it.

Originally posted by yoyoflamingo View Post
                  I would avoid the Contemporary, just doesn't have the romantic atmosphere appropriate for a honeymoon.
                  Yes, but don't exclude the dining locations (mainly the California Grill) at this hotel. Especially if you end up staying at Wilderness Lodge or Poly you'll be a boat ride (and short walk) or a monorail ride away.

Comment

Congratulations, you're going to run into a whole bunch of couples celebrating their honeymoon there in the Magic Kingdom. Any of the resorts mentioned are great, I believe the Food Network did a recent special about weddings and a couple won a contest, had their wedding at the parks but stayed at the Contemporary Resort, or was it the Grand Flordian... can't seem to remember but just make sure you wear your Wedding Mickey ears all over the place because everyone will treat you like royalty, like a princess and a prince!

Comment

Yes, and be sure to ask a Cast Member (your hotel or Guest Relations will probably be easiest) to listen to the Honeymoon phone call. It's super cute and not too many guests listen to it.

Comment

*jaw drops*

I'm amazed at all the congrats me and the future Mrs. have gotten. Thanks everyone from the bottom of my heart.

Based on the recommendations so far, yes, sounds like the Poly would be the best bet. As I said, the Cruise is a maybe... maybe save that for an anniversary and spend the whole time at the World.

Oh and in the useless info catagory? Our first date: Day after Christmas, 2002 in Disneyland. Met by Partners and well... she said today that she's always been proud to be my Partner.

If there is anymore advice, please add it in!

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorPoets View Post
                          *jaw drops*

I'm amazed at all the congrats me and the future Mrs. have gotten. Thanks everyone from the bottom of my heart.

Based on the recommendations so far, yes, sounds like the Poly would be the best bet. As I said, the Cruise is a maybe... maybe save that for an anniversary and spend the whole time at the World.

Oh and in the useless info catagory? Our first date: Day after Christmas, 2002 in Disneyland. Met by Partners and well... she said today that she's always been proud to be my Partner.

If there is anymore advice, please add it in!
                          Awww....no surprise to me you're getting so many congrats! MiceChat is full of wonderful, sweet people. The more you're on here, the more you will see how much of a family we are. :ap: Hope you have a wonderful trip, and come back and post your Trip Report for us to see!

Comment

as far as cruises the wonder does three and four days cruises to the bahamas but I have no idea how much it costs. the leave out of port canaveral(SP) and you can add a four or three day stay at the parks as well. no matter what you choose I hope you and your fiance have a wonderful life together and a honeymoon at disney is a great way to start it off!!!

Comment

I've been poking around the groups for a while, just never fully turned my account on. Technical difficulties on an outdated computer!

Anyway, yes, of course, my fiance is a shutterbug, so there would be a LOT of photos. I kind of have the heart set on the Poly now so I'll be sitting and talking with the family about the plans.

Seeking advice again: is it wise to rule out something like Pleasure Island sight unseen? Also, we're hoping to arrive in the mid-afternoon, would anyone recommend something to do in the evening hours? Would one of the parks be wise?

Thanks all!

Comment

Seeking advice again: is it wise to rule out something like Pleasure Island sight unseen? Also, we're hoping to arrive in the mid-afternoon, would anyone recommend something to do in the evening hours? Would one of the parks be wise?
                                I don't think it's a big deal to rule it out. Especially if time and money are an issue and aren't sure it's going to be worth the admission. If you aren't club people, then Pleasure Island can easily be skipped. I've been to WDW many times, and have never been to PI myself, and I still feel as if I'm not missing anything.

Again, depending on when you are going and park hours, it might be worth it to get theme park tickets for that afternoon. Also, Downtown Disney Marketplace is nice to stroll along and shop, or the Boardwalk to catch the ambiance.

But, if it's your honeymoon and you're staying at the Poly? Try to get dinner at a nice restaurant at the Poly or the neighboring hotels, catch the monorail, watch Wishes from the Poly beach, stroll the romantic (especially at night) grounds, perhaps go swimming, and make it an early night.

Comment

I actually was debating taking in Wishes from the California Club at the Contemp, but I'm sure from the Poly will be just as good. Stupid question: is the Seven Seas Lagoon Light Parade still going?

oh and yes, I wouldn't mind an early night with the wife myself.

Comment

I actually was debating taking in Wishes from the California Club at the Contemp, but I'm sure from the Poly will be just as good. Stupid question: is the Seven Seas Lagoon Light Parade still going?

oh and yes, I wouldn't mind an early night with the wife myself.
                                    Actually, the California Grill might be the perfect place for dinner that night, and watch Wishes from there too. you'll have plenty of night to watch Wishes from the beach.

And the Electrical Water Pageant is still going strong. I just saw it 4 times in August when I stayed at the Wilderness Lodge.

Comment

OK, sorry it took so long, but here on the links I have.

http://www.mousesavers.com
                                      http://tikiman2001.homestead.com/index.html
                                      http://allearsnet.com/index.html

There are a few pics of our room in this thread.:
                                      http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...day-53621.html

I really should get around to updating it. However I took 800 pics that trip and I hate uploading to photobucket 10 at a time.
                                      SEMPER ABSURDA

Comment

Originally posted by yoyoflamingo View Post
                                        Actually, the California Grill might be the perfect place for dinner that night, and watch Wishes from there too. you'll have plenty of night to watch Wishes from the beach.

And the Electrical Water Pageant is still going strong. I just saw it 4 times in August when I stayed at the Wilderness Lodge.

I love that parade and that silly old dragon! The first time I saw it they had a completely different soundtrack, with mostly classical music. Good times...

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X