X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BigPigletFan
    replied
    Re: Disabled groups push Disney, SeaWorld to allow Segways - USA Today - 10/15/07

I'm glad this was brought back up. I just saw this on the CNN news ticker. It should be interesting to see how this suit plays through.

Disney is VERY MUCH safety focused. So even though their concern over guest and Cast Member safety might seem a bit extreme, it is quite valid as it directly links with one of the core values of the Disney parks.

I wonder what the ADA policy is on this?

Leave a comment:

• Susabelle
    replied
    Re: Disabled groups push Disney, SeaWorld to allow Segways - USA Today - 10/15/07

Check the thread that Flynnibus pointed out. Very interesting thread that discusses all the reasons why they should NOT be allowed!
    I for one, hope that the lawsuit fails, because Segways do NOT belong in the Parks. First and foremost, they are not manufactured and listed as a primary disabled device. They are sold by the company as a recreational device. Just think how the sales would plummet if they applied for and got permission to license them as a disablity device only. No more Segways for the masses!!!!!! Sorry, unless you are disabled (or faking it) you are not gonna be getting one. And, the other fact is that Disney is private property and they have the right to ban the use of them for the sake of LIABILITY. They do not want to put thousands of other people at risk of injury for the sake of a few Segway users. Wheelchairs and ECV's have long been the accepted standard and I see no reason to add yet another cumbersome wheeled vehicle into the Park. Ever try to get through Adventureland after Fantasmic? How in the heck are you gonna fit MORE wheeled devices in there. The lawsuit is frivolous and should be thrown out.
    It is NOT a violation of the ADA because of the reason stated above, The Segway is a recreational vehicle and is licensed and sold as one, NOT a disabled device. Period.
    susabelle
    p.s. Hubby and I are both disabled...we don't want to see Segway use in the Park!
    Last edited by Susabelle; 11-11-2007, 01:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• nbodyhome
    replied

I don't think that Segways should be allowed in the parks with lots of guests around. I think managers often go too fast on them also, and need to slow down.

Leave a comment:

• sir clinksalot
    replied

I absolutely agree. I can't see any jury siding with the groups who want Segways.

All Disney has to do is bring in a Segway, let the jury drive them around and ask them "Do you think you could do that ALL DAY in a crowded theme park and NOT hit anybody".

Case closed.

Leave a comment:

• jalvarez74
    replied

Its official. Today a group has filed suit against WDC claiming they have violated the ADA by not allowing Segways in the theme parks. The suit also includeds Seaworld. My personally have to disagree with the plaintiffs. Can you imagine Segways trying to manuever at over 15MPH through guests (w/children) when the Magic Kingdom has 50-75K guests. Sounds like disaster waiting to happen. Any comments?

Leave a comment:

• nbodyhome
    replied

Originally posted by Phonedave View Post
    You also have to get from Innoventions (where the training is) to the WS and then back to Innoventions when the tour is over. Doing so, you pass though FW, which IS open.

-dave
    That is probably where he classes were heading off to last week (I wasn't sure where it started, I've only done the Fort Wilderness Segway tour - which I really enjoyed).

I don't doubt that managers, etc. have to go through a several day class. They need to learn to maneuver around with lots of people going all sorts of directions. But I do think that they often move too fast on the Segway.

Leave a comment:

• Phonedave
    replied

Originally posted by nbodyhome View Post
    Yup! I am thinking they start at 8 or 9. I am not usually at WS at opening, I thought it was normally noon (I might be wrong), but it's been 11am for Food and Wine. And I've seen the Segway riders passing by a couple of times. It definitely doesn't look as much fun as the Fort Wilderness Segway tour, though - that was awesome (doing the off-roading).

You also have to get from Innoventions (where the training is) to the WS and then back to Innoventions when the tour is over. Doing so, you pass though FW, which IS open.

I have been cut off by people in the FW. A whole line of Segways rolling along to Innoventions. Two CM's positioned as "crossing guards" and a man drage his kids right thought the line of Segways right in front of me. I guess he could not wait the 15 seconds it would have taken us all to pass.

And I do not think they should be allowed in the parks either. I think they are great, and I would love to own one. But with crowds as they are in WDW, they just pose too much of a risk. Before CM's are "certified" to use Segways in the parks, they need to go through a 3 day Segway training course. (or so I have been told by the Trainers who do the tour)

-dave

Leave a comment:

• EvilQueenRocks
    replied

Originally posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I was under the impression people with MS could not even stand! And if that is the case... how could they even begin to use a segway? Better yet, why bother going to a theme park if it's a chore?
    Actually I have MS and most people wouldn't even know it. I do not need to use a wheelchair or any other assistance. A lot of people don't realize that MS has a very wide range of how it affects each individual.

Leave a comment:

• TDLFAN
    replied

Originally posted by SkittleKicks View Post
    That's not true. There are plenty of people (especially with MS) who cannot walk even from Spaceship Earth to the UK, but can stand and use their hands.
    I was under the impression people with MS could not even stand! And if that is the case... how could they even begin to use a segway? Better yet, why bother going to a theme park if it's a chore?

Leave a comment:

• nbodyhome
    replied

Originally posted by WSVR View Post
    The problem with that is that the Segway user signing such does not absolve Disney of its legal responsibilities to a third party that might get hit.
    That was what I was trying to say (you said it better). You'd need every guest in the park to sign something saying they absolve Disney if a Segway hit them. I'm not sure having a rider sign one would matter at all.

Denise

Leave a comment:

• WSVR
    replied

Originally Posted by TikiRoomLiz
    I say that if they really want to use their Segways in the park then it should be mandatory for the "driver" to sign a legal form where they accept all liability for accidents that are an outcome of driving the Segway in the park.
    The problem with that is that the Segway user signing such does not absolve Disney of its legal responsibilities to a third party that might get hit.

Leave a comment:

• nbodyhome
    replied

Originally posted by Jerren View Post
    I've had the opportunity to work with many disabled persons over the years and have learned not to underestimate their ability to overcome obstacles, they may ask for help now and then and its ok to offer but you may be amazed at what they can do on thier own.
    I have been around disabled veterans (including my father) for most of my life - I know plenty who have lost legs in combat, and generally they are either in wheelchairs or walking (if only a single leg is lost, then it tends to be the latter). I can't imagine any of them in Segways. I am not saying that the ones who are walking couldn't, that wouldn't be as much an issue. But I don't know what the benefit for them would be. And while different muscle groups are used, it's still a fair bit of work to balance, steer, maneuver, and watch out for obstacles. It's hard enough for me walking sometimes!

Leave a comment:

• Jerren
    replied

I am actually surprised that anyone can use a Segway if disabled, as the Segways are very hard on my feet. I find myself tiring out quickly on one (more from the feet thing than the steering, which is also work). I consider them a form of exercise. If I wanted to be lazy for a day, I wouldn't be driving a Segway.

The newer ones are more work to steer as you have to steer the whole handle, the original Segway HT steered with a switch on the left handle, I kinda prefer the originals myself.

I have seen a single leg amputee with sports prosthetic do quite well on one when I was out on travel in San Fransisco, you use different muscles than you use for walking and it takes a while to get used to it. My guess is amputees are used to using their bodies differently to navigate the challenges they face every day and may be better able to adapt to using them than we are. I've had the opportunity to work with many disabled persons over the years and have learned not to underestimate their ability to overcome obstacles, they may ask for help now and then and its ok to offer but you may be amazed at what they can do on thier own.

Leave a comment:

• Jerren
    replied

Originally posted by kirbilicious View Post
    I thought the Segway tours took place before the park was open.
    Let me clarify:

At the time (and maybe they still offer it I don't know) there where two sessions that started before the WS opened. I was in the latter one that ended just as the WS was opening up and about the time we hit the UK there where a lot of people charging in to get to wherever they where headed without paying much attention or talking in their small groups and not watching where they where going...

The other group of people in the WS at the same time as the tour are the folks coming and going to the Princess breakfast in Norway and they where not paying attention either. Mostly fussing with getting the kids in their costumes or the kids dancing around and well just being kids. I can't really blame them for that

Bottom line is think about being in a crowd and getting bumped and jostled. Now think about being in a crowd with a few people in suits of armor. Thats what it would be like to get hit head on or back into. On the flip side (pun intended) if you run over a mobile object on them like a cane, hose or even a foot on the sides the older segways they can throw the rider when the one wheel slips or jams. I think they have corrected this in the newer off road models. I've seen this happen in a warehouse environment and it was not pretty with the driver getting pretty beat up in the process. If I had to guess this is probaly why they don't certify them as ECV's.

Leave a comment:

• nbodyhome
    replied

Originally posted by WDW Monorail View Post
    I absolutely do not support the use of Segways by the disabled.

Going back to what was mentioned, there is much work involved in riding one of these machines. From my understanding, there is a weight shift type steering mechanism that is used in order to "drive" the Segway. If one's legs are disabled, as mentioned in the original article, would it not be difficult to control your upper body movements such as balance and such?
    I am actually surprised that anyone can use a Segway if disabled, as the Segways are very hard on my feet. I find myself tiring out quickly on one (more from the feet thing than the steering, which is also work). I consider them a form of exercise. If I wanted to be lazy for a day, I wouldn't be driving a Segway.

I once had a child run into me, full bore at Universal Studios. I didn't even see the kid, I thought I'd run into a pole type barricade that was waist-high. I can't imagine what would happen if a child ran like that into a Segway. And the other day at Epcot, the crowds at night were such that I felt uncomfortable walking. Lots of bumping into other people, getting elbowed, having my feet stepped on, etc. I'd rather my feet be stepped on then rolled over, though.

I'm not anti-Segway, just not everywhere.

Leave a comment:

• TikiRoomLiz
    replied

I understand the idea behind wanting to use it, yet the problem is that while the Segway might be a preferred option by that person - it is not the only available way that they can get around. That is where I think most people have issue with the Segway, because a disabled person can ALSO get around on an ECV or wheelchair.

Most people who tend to use the Segway as an assistive device I'm sure don't tend to go into unpredictable, and at times crowded conditions that are seen in the park. As it is people get hurt in the parks by ECV's and strollers - no doubt accidents will also happen with Segways ... and I doubt the parks want to get into that legal mess when something does happen on the Segway.

Leave a comment:

• nbodyhome
    replied

Originally posted by kirbilicious View Post
    Okay - thanks for the clarification.
    Yup! I am thinking they start at 8 or 9. I am not usually at WS at opening, I thought it was normally noon (I might be wrong), but it's been 11am for Food and Wine. And I've seen the Segway riders passing by a couple of times. It definitely doesn't look as much fun as the Fort Wilderness Segway tour, though - that was awesome (doing the off-roading).

Leave a comment:

• kirbilicious
    replied

They start before the WS opens, but I've seen the Segways roll by at 11am (during Food and Wine). Also, there are people who do come in from the IG much earlier than that.
    Okay - thanks for the clarification.

Leave a comment:

• WDW Monorail
    replied

I absolutely do not support the use of Segways by the disabled.

Going back to what was mentioned, there is much work involved in riding one of these machines. From my understanding, there is a weight shift type steering mechanism that is used in order to "drive" the Segway. If one's legs are disabled, as mentioned in the original article, would it not be difficult to control your upper body movements such as balance and such?

Not a good idea at all.... Sorry, but stick to :crazylegs, unless you cold find something better.

Leave a comment:

• MysticalSkye
    replied

I agree with what most everyone else has been saying.

It's an issue of safety. I wouldn't want to be walking around the park and getting run into by someone on a Segway.

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X