X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless at WDW

Hey everybody,

I have a question. I know there is no wireless in the rooms at WDW, but there is internet. Since Belle has to check work stuff we will have to be doing the internet daily. My question is, if I have a wireless router, is it possible to hook up the wireless in the room so we can use both laptops or is this forbidden or something.

Thanks.

Re: Wireless at WDW

You can do it. probably against the terms of service (as is sharing service EVERYWHERE) but there is nothing they can really do about it.. nor do they really care I'm sure as long as you aren't doing some large scale stealing

I have a perfect linksys travel router that I use for this... so my fat *** can use the laptop in bed

Plugs directly into the wall.. no bricks
    http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...=4100839789B08
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Originally posted by sleepyjeff
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Comment

Another possible option for you would be to connect one laptop to the wired ethernet in the room, and then set up that laptop for Ad-hoc wireless internet sharing, making that laptop in effect, a WiFi hotspot for any other machines you want to allow on.

Of course this option would tether one of the laptops to the desk by ethernet cable. But the other one would be wireless, and you would only have to pay for one machine. But at least that way you wouldn't have to purchase or bring a wireless router.

This can be done with Windows or Macs.

See:

http://reviews.cnet.com/Make_your_la...7-6754630.html

(after short commercial)
      Last edited by Opus1guy; 10-17-2007, 05:30 PM.

Comment

I've had good luck with using my sprint phone and SnapDial or a dedicated wireless card.
        Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

Comment

Doesn't the Contemporary have free wireless internet in the rooms now?

Comment

Originally posted by aimster View Post
            Doesn't the Contemporary have free wireless internet in the rooms now?
            I don't think the CR was planning to have it free (Fort Wilderness has wireless, but at the same price as the regular high speed).
            Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Originally posted by TDLFAN
            I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
            on Bay Lake.

Comment

Originally posted by Opus1guy View Post
              Another possible option for you would be to connect one laptop to the wired ethernet in the room, and then set up that laptop for Ad-hoc wireless internet sharing, making that laptop in effect, a WiFi hotspot for any other machines you want to allow on.

Of course this option would tether one of the laptops to the desk by ethernet cable. But the other one would be wireless, and you would only have to pay for one machine. But at least that way you wouldn't have to purchase or bring a wireless router.

See:

(after short commercial)
              Thanks for that. It seems a little easier for Vista or Mac, but I should be able to do it for XP.

I'll just try that.

Comment

Originally posted by nbodyhome View Post
                I don't think the CR was planning to have it free (Fort Wilderness has wireless, but at the same price as the regular high speed).
                Contemporary is actually the only Disney resort hotel that does NOT charge for internet access in the rooms (at least this was the case in June of this year). However, it is not wireless. I think they have some sort of in-room computer system and you can hook up your own computer via cable for no charge.
                --Jonathan

Comment

Originally posted by DOOM BGI View Post
                  Contemporary is actually the only Disney resort hotel that does NOT charge for internet access in the rooms (at least this was the case in June of this year). However, it is not wireless. I think they have some sort of in-room computer system and you can hook up your own computer via cable for no charge.
                  I thought they were putting computers in the rooms, there are too many changes everywhere to keep up with! (I like how the Gaylord Palms has computers). I do wish Disney would get free wireless everywhere. If the Candy Cane Inn next to Disneyland can have free wireless, so can WDW.

My parents are staying at the CR next month, so it will be nice to see what is now there (thanks for the information!!!)
                  Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

Comment

It would be great if Disney offered free access. You may notice that in the outside world cheaper hotels are more likely to offer free access. The more the price per night goes up the more likely you'll have to pay for access.

Comment

Originally posted by erick13 View Post
                      It would be great if Disney offered free access. You may notice that in the outside world cheaper hotels are more likely to offer free access. The more the price per night goes up the more likely you'll have to pay for access.
                      I know, it's crazy! But just like refrigerators are now the norm, trundle beds don't cost extra anymore, I think Disney will eventually get there. I can't imagine in a few years that they will be charging for wireless. I mean, they should have wireless set up everywhere already - Disney tends to lag behind in things like that. But more and more hotels are giving it for free. Smaller ones often, and some of the big hotels too.

The fact that the Candy Cane Inn had free wireless was a big reason I stayed there.

Denise
                      Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

Comment

Originally posted by sir clinksalot View Post
                        Hey everybody,

I have a question. I know there is no wireless in the rooms at WDW, but there is internet. Since Belle has to check work stuff we will have to be doing the internet daily. My question is, if I have a wireless router, is it possible to hook up the wireless in the room so we can use both laptops or is this forbidden or something.

Thanks.
                        Heck, since you are all in the same room, why not just get a wired hub and use that. Much cheaper (and most likely faster speeds)

Unless of course you already have a wireless router to bring. Or if you feel like computing from the bathroom

-dave
                        "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
                        "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

Comment

Originally posted by Phonedave View Post
                          Unless of course you already have a wireless router to bring. Or if you feel like computing from the bathroom

-dave
                          That is what is known as multitasking.
                          Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

Comment

I recommend the little one I posted... works well for us biz travelers

A fun use as well is.. for companies that don't allow wireless on their laptops... now you can jump on a wireless network while traveling

When you can get it with rebate its really cheap and worth it
                            Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
                            Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Originally posted by sleepyjeff
                            Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Comment

Originally posted by flynnibus View Post
                              I recommend the little one I posted... works well for us biz travelers
                              I agree that using a small travel wireless router is the way to go. They're so inexpensive, small, and easy to use. Plus then all your laptops are wireless.

Another advantage to using a wireless router rather than the ad-hoc set-up I mentioned above...is security. Ad-hoc only supports WEP encryption, which is basically no security at all. While most of the travel routers out there support at least WPA, which is light years more secure.

Plus doing it via a wireless router...you don't have to mess with your Network Connection settings and perhaps BIOS settings as well.

Comment

I feel like I was born in the stone-age. I always have to have this stuff explained out to me!
                                Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

Comment

You can use a router, but be prepared for horrible bandwidth as the resort "hi-speed" is nothing close by todays standards. Also, if your network is open, people WILL find it and WILL use it. Set a password.

You'll probably get something around 200k down 100k up.

Comment

Originally posted by Opus1guy View Post

See:

(after short commercial)
                                    To late I got one of the linksys travel router wfi
                                    but thank for the information
                                    Yes set that wep pass code

At home I can get on about three hotspot.

Toy Story Mania construction:
                                    Older photo
                                    New Photo

Member of
                                    MiceChat WDW Trip
                                    Next trip
                                    2014 Dec, 31

Comment

Originally posted by nbodyhome View Post
                                      That is what is known as multitasking.

I had a job once where they expected me to do that. I ran an out of hours emergency desk for two counties here in NJ. Between the hours of midnight and 4:00 AM i had NO help with me. So it was just me. One day (or night) I came in to work and found a cordless phone on my desk. I asked where it came from and they said that when I was here alone, I might have to leave the desk for "personal reasons" and that a circuit may go down or we loose a dryer or a air alarm comes in, whatever, and someone may call while I was away from the desk. A explained that I could check messages/call logs when I got back to the desk, and I was not going to be able to provide much help from the bathroom anyway

-dave
                                      "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
                                      "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

Comment

Originally posted by Phonedave View Post
                                        I had a job once where they expected me to do that. I ran an out of hours emergency desk for two counties here in NJ. Between the hours of midnight and 4:00 AM i had NO help with me. So it was just me. One day (or night) I came in to work and found a cordless phone on my desk. I asked where it came from and they said that when I was here alone, I might have to leave the desk for "personal reasons" and that a circuit may go down or we loose a dryer or a air alarm comes in, whatever, and someone may call while I was away from the desk. A explained that I could check messages/call logs when I got back to the desk, and I was not going to be able to provide much help from the bathroom anyway

-dave
                                        That is funny! They didn't provide a laptop also, just in case?

And is that how you got the name Phonedave?
                                        Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X