• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tjcjr
    replied
    Re: Christmas at Disney World

Originally posted by perfectparanoia View Post
    Just wanted to put in my two cents. This used to be the case but I am not sure if it has changed. I thought that even when they 'closed' the parks they still guaranteed entry to WDW Resort Guest using the Disney Transportation system.
    Closure is based on reaching Park crowd capacity, it doesn't matter if you stay on property or not, if they have reached their crowd quota for the day, no one else will be admitted.

Leave a comment:

• perfectparanoia
    replied

Just wanted to put in my two cents. This used to be the case but I am not sure if it has changed. I thought that even when they 'closed' the parks they still guaranteed entry to WDW Resort Guest using the Disney Transportation system.

Am I losing my mind or is this still correct? Not that I would ever want to intentionally go when it is busy but some of us Canucks occasionally forget about American holidays (President's Day, Indpendance Day) and book our vacations so end up there at busier times.

Leave a comment:

• erick13
    replied

In both 04 and 05 during early Dec Typhoon Lagoon (closed mid Dec) was open while Blizzard Beach was closed (reopened mid Dec). It looks like they switched the rehab schedule this year so you never know which one may be closed next year.

Leave a comment:

• nbodyhome
    replied

Originally posted by Speedway View Post

You've worried me about the mass crowds thing. I mean, I expected it to be busier then usual but... jeez. Will it be a shock to the system for someone who only goes mid October?
    I don't think so. I know people who only can go at that time frame, and sometimes go for a week or two. Mid October seems almost as crowded now! I would plan the trip out a little, to not hit the crowds as hard.

Leave a comment:

• Speedway
    replied

Well if it's Typhoon Lagoon this year, it will likely be Blizzard Beach next year, which works out brilliantly for us because we prefer Lagoon.

You've worried me about the mass crowds thing. I mean, I expected it to be busier then usual but... jeez. Will it be a shock to the system for someone who only goes mid October?

Leave a comment:

• erick13
    replied

Our family trip to WDW is usually early Dec. Our next trip just happens to be next year and there should be 13 to 14 of us going. Going earlier has some advantages. The parks are already dressed up, there are less people and it's the value season. 1 of the water parks will most likely be closed (Typhoon Lagoon this year) for rehab when you go, but I would suggest going to the other one as a break day just to relax.

Leave a comment:

• TDLFAN
    replied

Originally posted by aimster
    Please let's not go there.
    During Xmas week you mean...

Leave a comment:

• aimster
    replied

^^ :lmao:

Please let's not go there.

Leave a comment:

• TDLFAN
    replied

Originally posted by Speedway View Post
    I'm a big boy )
    Hmmm... really?

Leave a comment:

• Cmash95
    replied

it seemed to me the last time i was over there during the holiday season that the worst park was MK. the others were crowded but idon't remember them closing. I think that is because to many people, the main park to go to at WDW is MK. but as was said you are going to be there for several days so you could easily go from one park to another and since you are not newbies you can plan on what you want to see.

Leave a comment:

• Barbaraann
    replied

That is a pretty long vacation, so they should be able to relax and plan their touring around the crowds.

Leave a comment:

• Maverick
    replied

can you say..... crowds?

Leave a comment:

• nbodyhome
    replied

Well, they won't be able to make dining ressies quite yet - but 6 months out!

Leave a comment:

• BigPigletFan
    replied

Speedway,

It will be CRAZY BUSY. Imagine waiting 3 shows for a 3D film that you can almost always walk into. That is example of normal or shorter line compared to other attractions during this time period.

Granted, you all have never been during this time frame and you have been to the resort before so you do have a heads up for this trip. As long as you don't expect to do everything and are able to plan a lot out it can still be quite enjoyable.

Attractions will be running and not under scheduled refurbs during this time and others might open as well to help maximize the park capacity for these days.

I know in the past your family frequents the water parks - and only one will be open, so keep that in mind.

As others have said I would make dining reservations NOW if you have any desire to dine anywhere besides QSF&B.

Another thing mentioned would be the decorations at all of the resorts. They each have their own fun holiday elements that really make them wonderful to see and unique as well, such as the Gingerbread House in the Grand Floridian.

Good luck planning and I hope to see you and your wonderful family again soon!

Leave a comment:

• aimster
    replied

Is Florida generally busier at Christmas time, with tourists? For instance, shopping malls?
    Totally. I live 90 minutes from WDW and I even avoid the malls where I live if at all possible during the Christmas season. Too many crazy shoppers!

Leave a comment:

• nbodyhome
    replied

Last year I popped into Epcot in the afternoon on 12/30, no problem - then went over to MGM for the Osborne Lights.

Remember that if a park closes, it generally will open back up. I've not heard of a park being closed all day, I'm not sure what happened during the final day of 1999, I was away that week. So if the MK closed at 9am, you may have no problem getting in during the afternoon - people come and go.

Leave a comment:

• Cmash95
    replied

MK had been known to close as early as 9am during that time. all i can say is it's supercrowded. i mean wall to wall people and then some. there are two bowl games that are played in orlando during that time and then you also have the new years days bowl game of outback in tampa. the local malls tend to close early on christmas eve and new years eve and are closed christmas day. they also can be pretty crowded with last minute shoppers. also remember that the christmas parade from walt disney world is taped ahead of time and not on christmas moring. wish you were coming earlier, we miss you.

Leave a comment:

• Jerren
    replied

Originally posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Getting up early won't be a problem for Speedway... he usually is up by 7am to go to intermediate school.. which is like 2am in Orlando time?
    Unless he's going to try to jump the fence before opening I don't see him getting that much benefit from getting up *that* early! (please kids don't try this!)

My top 3 tips would be:

#1 thing Book your dinner reservations as soon as possible. I'm doing a last minute trip over thanksgiving and had a devil of a time finding free slots.

#2 Stay on property, you get into the parks earlier to beat the rush and have a better chance of entrance, the parks do sometimes close when they reach capacity and its nice to be close to the resort so you can go lounge by the pool till the afternoon and then try again.

#3 Plan some time to tour the resorts, at least all the deluxe resorts do elaborate Christmas decorations, if the parks are too busy for you enjoy the resorts.

Leave a comment:

• Barbaraann
    replied

I don't do the shopping thing or the waterpark thing, so I cant help you there. It's good that you have someone to ride the rides with. I have wanted to take a trip with just my grandson, but he rides the thrill rides, and I don't.

I think that as a rule, when the parks are more crowded, the parks have longer hours. I think that the waterparks go down for their rehabs after the holidays.

I can see you plummeting down "Summet Plummet".

Do you stay on Disney Property? Where is your family thinking of staying?

Leave a comment:

• Speedway
    replied

Originally posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Getting up early won't be a problem for Speedway... he usually is up by 7am to go to intermediate school.. which is like 2am in Orlando time?
    Whaaaat!?
    I'm at college now, I'm a big boy )
    But yeah, I am usually awake between 7 and 8.

To Barbarann, there's only four of us in my family group so we pretty much stick together the whole trip, unless me and my brother wanna go off on Splash Mountain for the eighth time that night at 10pm, and my mum and dad would rather not , or unless I go off and meet a couple MiceChatters.

Is Florida generally busier at Christmas time, with tourists? For instance, shopping malls?

Are the water parks open on Christmas Day and New Years Day, because we would be spending those days relaxing. I've heard from a few sources now that Christmas Day is the busiest day in the Magic Kingdom's calendar.

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X