• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MJMcB
    replied
    Re: Artist Point, Jiko, Chefs de france

Originally posted by Esdeebee View Post
    The only one I can comment on is Chefs de France. We had an excellent meal there on our last night in Disney last month.
    I'm a big fan of thier lunch menu. And you often get to watch street entertainers if you have a window seat

Leave a comment:

• Esdeebee
    replied

The only one I can comment on is Chefs de France. We had an excellent meal there on our last night in Disney last month. My beef was perfect, and my wife had the veggie lasagne which she said was very good. The French onion soup was also excellent according to her (and she's picky). Dessert was a creme brulee which was very good, also.

Service was solid if unspectacular. There were no lapses, really. Our waiter recommended a "mixed" drink that was wine, champagne and sparkling water, and it was very good. Our kids liked the kids' menu selections. (The best service I've had is still in Emeril Lagasse's restaurants in New Orleans and Las Vegas.)

Leave a comment:

• nxojkt
    replied

I've not been to Chefs de france, but I can help with the other two.

Both Artist Point and Jiko are very good. But they are very different from each other.

If you like to be adventurous and try food that you've likely never had, go to Jiko and order their appetizers. The flatbreads are good, but the group appetizer (priced at $10 per person) gives you a great sampling of the different appetizers. The Pastis, Pastillas, Tamales, and Bastelas were all excellent and completely new for me. The entrees are all fairly normal, but with a little twist. I had the Sturgeon and was very pleased with it. The group I was with tried to sample as many different things as possible, and we ended up tasting from each other's plates. As a group we had my sturgeon, the filet, the short ribs, the pork tenderloin, and the chicken. All of them were very good, with the pork and the filet being the best. We had the creme brulee and the chocolate-mocha cake stack for dessert, and while both were good, I was so stuffed from the meal that I didn't have enough to really evaluate. The folks in my group who did eat them had good things to say.

Artist Point is a much more traditional meal. I had my wedding reception there, with a group of 20, and they were amazing to us. We had smaller menu than the normal menu, but I did try both the salmon and the beef tenderloin, and they were both spectacular. The big hit for the group was the smoky portobello soup. Folks who like mushrooms were raving about it so much that a few of us who don't like mushrooms tried it. I still wasn't wild about it, but my best fried who is extremely picky and hates mushrooms loved it. If you are a mushroom eater, it is a must. The coffee two ways dessert was a pretty big hit.

From an atmosphere stadpoint, they are both very nice, but also very different. Artist Point is wide open with a beautiful view of the lake through huge windows. Jiko is more atmospheric with a limited view out the back of the AKL.

The service was exceptional both places.

There were far more families at Artist Point than at Jiko, I would guess because at AKL the Boma buffet is a far cheaper and quicker option for families with young ones.

From a price standpoint, they weren't THAT much different. Wine and mixed drinks added a lot to the bill for us, but prior to that I would guess that Artist Point was right about $50 per person and Jiko was about $60 per person.

If you want something completely unique, I would recommend Jiko. If you a picky eater in your group and you want something a little less out there, I would recommend Artist Point.

Honestly, though, you can't go wrong at either place.

Leave a comment:

• Resaugenda
    replied

If you're a small party, I recommend sitting at the "Cooking Place" bar seating at Jiko. Its an interesting experience watching how all the beautifully presented appetizers are put together. If you have more people and need a table to sit around, I think the wine room is lovely, and least likely to have kids in it.

I've never had a meal at Artist Point that was less than outstanding, and Stephen is a great server. Try the cheese tasting tray instead of dessert if you're adventurous. Be aware that, IMHO, the decor really isn't up to scratch for a restaurant on its level, and there are a lot of kids coloring and eating chicken strips (WHY???? Why spend the money????)

Leave a comment:

• danyoung
    replied

Originally posted by Jerren View Post
    I think his cabin depressurized one too many times over the years that or he really really has fantasies of seeing you in spandex...
    Yeah, he's kinda sweet on me. I'm not sure whether to be insulted or flattered!

The rest of us have no desire to see you in spandex..
    Hey, I have no desire to see me in spandex, either!!!

But as long as we're talking food, I did enjoy one meal last year at Jiko. Really tasty, somewhat unusually spiced food, a wonderful wine list, and great service!

Leave a comment:

• Jerren
    replied

Originally posted by danyoung View Post
    Y'know, I've been to Jiko, and I could tell you about it. But then you don't like my input on food, so I guess I'll just have to be quiet about it. Sad . . .

A waste is a terrible thing to mind Dan, so is a waist! :lol: pleases continue to give us your honest opinion and don't let TDL drag you down... I think his cabin depressurized one too many times over the years that or he really really has fantasies of seeing you in spandex... The rest of us have no desire to see you in spandex* but do want to know your opinions on Disney Dining.

So someone chain TDL to a treadmill with a margarine cup strapped to his face connected to a tank of oxygen so the rest of us can read the restaurant reviews...

* Well ok maybe some folks do.... I won't hold that against them but this IS a dining thread.... And although your a great guy I don't equate you in workout clothes with eating... Which I think is healthy.

Leave a comment:

• WDW1974
    replied

Originally posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Oh yes, Dan and I go way way way back. We love to kid each other and get on each other's nerves for fun. Well.. at least I am having fun. He goes to Jiko instead.
    You can rip Danny for many things, but the boy knows great food when he chows down on it!

Leave a comment:

• TDLFAN
    replied

Originally posted by SpectroMan View Post
    You two are funny
    Oh yes, Dan and I go way way way back. We love to kid each other and get on each other's nerves for fun. Well.. at least I am having fun. He goes to Jiko instead.

Leave a comment:

• SpectroMan
    replied

You two are funny

I loved Artist Point - great food, good enough service and a lovely, refined atmosphere. Also loved Chefs de France not so much for the authenticity of the food (which was clearly Americanized French) but for the brief feeling of being in Paris served by a French-speaking waitress.

Between the two, it's obvious that they are not equal. Just note that, with the Dining Plan, one takes 1 credit and the other takes 2 - for good reason.

Leave a comment:

• danyoung
    replied

Is Jiko the place at at AKL? What's so amazing about it? Just wondering... because I have been to Ohana as well and while it is an enjoyable atmosphere, I would not call it "amazing"... but need to know more about Jiko before venturing into it.
    Y'know, I've been to Jiko, and I could tell you about it. But then you don't like my input on food, so I guess I'll just have to be quiet about it. Sad . . .

Leave a comment:

• nbodyhome
    replied

Is Jiko the place at at AKL? What's so amazing about it? Just wondering... because I have been to Ohana as well and while it is an enjoyable atmosphere, I would not call it "amazing"... but need to know more about Jiko before venturing into it.
    Jiko is the higher-end restaurant at the AKL.

I haven't found it amazing when I went. But it was okay.

Leave a comment:

• TDLFAN
    replied

Leave a comment:

• thereviewer
    replied

Jiko was just plain amazing.

Leave a comment:

• danyoung
    replied

You probably didn't read further down when I admitted I looked FAT??
    Sure I did. That's why I said what I said.

Obviously you can't bring yourself to admit the same about you.
    Sure I can - that's because food is very important to me. You're the only fool online who seems to want to make me feel bad about that.

Furthermore.. I am not constantly preocupied with food as you always seem to be.
    I'm not in the least preoccupied by food - I just enjoy it. And I do most of my best eating in Disney parks, so I know quite a bit about the subject. The only preoccupation going on here is you with me, which proves my ongoing point - you must have a big ol' crush on me!

Leave a comment:

• TDLFAN
    replied

Originally posted by danyoung View Post
    Just saw a pic of you online, TDLFAN - looking a little chunky there . . .
    You probably didn't read further down when I admitted I looked FAT?? Obviously you can't bring yourself to admit the same about you. Why do you think I invited you to work out with me? Furthermore.. I am not constantly preocupied with food as you always seem to be.

Leave a comment:

• danyoung
    replied

Just saw a pic of you online, TDLFAN - looking a little chunky there . . .

Leave a comment:

• TDLFAN
    replied

Amazing... Food topic = danyoung posting. Won't you join me on one of my workouts by The Firm?

Leave a comment:

• danyoung
    replied

I need to throw my vote in there with WDW1974 - the Bistro has been nothing but incredible for me, while I've had diminishing experiences at Chefs de France. The Bistro is a bit more upscale, but that translates into a nicer, quieter atmosphere. I've had terrific waiters the two times I've been there, and the food has been quite spectacular. Chefs has lost points for me by being noisy, and the menu has been simplified to where it's harder for me to find something I really like.

So for me Chefs has dropped off of my radar, while the Bistro is now one of my can't miss favorites.

Leave a comment:

• BGLeduc
    replied

One more vote for Jiko, although I have not eaten at the other restaurants. mentioned

I actually thought my meal there was better than anything I have had at Napa Rose in DLR. Very good service, nice ambiance, and great food. Everyone in my party, including a CM, was very satisfied.

Brian

Leave a comment:

• Phonedave
    replied

Originally posted by nbodyhome View Post
    They finished their meals, they ordered and ate their desserts. When they were done with that, the server brought out their special honeymoon dessert! It was really ill-timed.

This seems to happen a LOT. When I was still married, we spent our 10 anniversery at WDW. I think just about every place we ate did this. Even V&A's gave us a chocolate "anniversery card" AFTER the entire meal was done. Now that i think about it, it does seem strange. I wonder if maybe its something to do with the back of the house systems where orders go though.

I can almost excuse V&A's though, because who the heck wants to eat a hunk of chocolate (and chocolate really does not thrill me *gasp* ) in between the excellent courses that were served (and nice wines too)

-dave

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X