Announcement

Collapse

MiceChat Rules

A list of MiceChat's rules can be found at the top of the Disneyland forum.
See more
See less

Confirmed! Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway replacing The Great Movie Ride

Collapse

Header Ad

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confirmed! Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway replacing The Great Movie Ride

Our friends at WDWMagic have let us know that the Great Movie Ride is planned to close as the "third phase" of the DHS re-do. The long rumored third E-Ticket and phase was under discussion for a long time and confirmed by insiders but the location was recently revealed.

The replacement will be a LPS trackless Mickey Mouse themed dark ride and is rumored to stay in the Chinese Theater facade. Apparently the ride is possibly coming to DLR in some way as well, but the DHS version is much more cemented in the plans.

Thoughts? And if this came to DLR, where?

My first guesses would be Toontown or (my preference) if Marvel land goes behind TOT/GOTG:MB as originally planned and the Mickey ride could go in the Hollywoodland Backlot complete w/ Chinese Theater facade.

Ooo, ouch, this one is going to sting.

Wouldn't be the worst thing if we got an attraction that took us through the history of Mickey Mouse. He is almost 100. It would be one heck of a journey.

However, it would be truly sad if we lost this classic attraction.

I'm really torn on this. I love TGMR, but it is incredibly dated. Most of the movies are just really old. I mean I am 30, and I have never seen 80% of the movies in the attraction (Footlight Parade, Singin' In The Rain, The Public Enemy, A Fistful of Dollars, The Searchers, Alien, Tarzan, or Casablanca).

Approximately 1.2% of the posts in the Walt Disney World Resort MiceChat forum have been contributed by PlutoHasFleas

Comment

From what I have heard TGMR will close in early 2018 but they have yet to decide on what to place in the building.

Comment

Whoa, whoa, whoa.

Hold on a second, I am about to drop some BLUE SKY.

The Chinese theater facade stays. You enter the same.

You pass a multi-plane camera on display in the lobby, amongst animation desks and other equipment used to create Disney animation.

You enter the theater to a film about Walt and Mickey.

The Hollywood loading area stays the same, however, instead of entering a mock theater, your guide takes you into the original Disney Brothers studio, the garage.

Your guide tells of the Alice follies and the tragic loss of Oswald, all while entering a completely dark room.

The lights go down on the guide and a spot comes up on an all too familiar mouse, in greyscale.

He whistles a tune, and as he finishes, the lights come up in the room and you are in Steamboat Willie. The music continues as you journey into the next toon.

This is the journey of Mickey Mouse. We ride through the most iconic of Mickey cartoons, and join his pals Goofy and Donald, and his girl Minnie.

Feel the water on your face through the Sorcerer's Apprentice.

Ride through foggy "clouds" as you journey up the beanstalk.

Make it Mickey. He deserves his own ride.

Approximately 1.2% of the posts in the Walt Disney World Resort MiceChat forum have been contributed by PlutoHasFleas

Comment

Is there a reason why The Great Movie Rides might close? Are there contract or licensing issues

Comment

Originally posted by mondo View Post
            Is there a reason why The Great Movie Rides might close? Are there contract or licensing issues
            Apparently it's doing poorly in guest surveys. Although, maybe the fact that they have essentially let it rot for 20 some years would contribute to the low guest scores. Also, it would be cheaper to replace rather than a completely new build.

But there are no issues with licensing or contract on the TCM side of the deal. Disney wants out.

Comment

Originally posted by PlutoHasFleas View Post
              I'm really torn on this. I love TGMR, but it is incredibly dated. Most of the movies are just really old. I mean I am 30, and I have never seen 80% of the movies in the attraction (Footlight Parade, Singin' In The Rain, The Public Enemy, A Fistful of Dollars, The Searchers, Alien, Tarzan, or Casablanca).
              Wow. Alien is considered old now? Never too late to start watching the classics.

Mickey Mouse doesn't need a ride. The entire park is his.
              This Space For Rent

Comment

Originally posted by Kram Sacul View Post

Wow. Alien is considered old now? Never too late to start watching the classics.

Mickey Mouse doesn't need a ride. The entire park is his.
                Yeah Alien is old enough it's considered a "classic" IMO this is a good option if Disney is unwilling to refresh TGMR at least to befit a more modern audience that hasn't seen or even heard of alot of the films in the ride. Not much fits better with the park's name of Disney's Hollywood Studios, like Mickey Mouse. Mickey is Disney, and if they closed One Man's Dream and put that in the queue or after the ride it would even encourage people to learn more about the man. I like this idea, yes losing one of the parks original attractions would stink, but I feel it's alot better than some of the other things they've done recently. If done right this could be a fun family ride that really fits the theme of the park. A true E ticket could fit in the showbuilding the size of TGMR.
                The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
                -George S. Patton

Comment

YOU NEED TO SEE ALIEN.

But really, I would be SO upset if they took this ride out. I hope, if this becomes a thing, I'll be able to ride it a ton before they do.
                  sigpic

Comment

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Hold on a second, I am about to drop some BLUE SKY.
                    Does that mean Blue Sky as in this is what's planned, or Blue Sky as in I think this would be cool?

Comment

If the timeline is accurate, Mickey's ride could debut November 18, 2018 which would be Mickey's 90th birthday. Great tribute to the mouse that started it all.

Comment

Originally posted by danyoung View Post

Does that mean Blue Sky as in this is what's planned, or Blue Sky as in I think this would be cool?
                        Blue Sky is never planned. Big dreams in a big blue sky. However, that is all my idea.

Ward Kimball came up with an idea for a MM ride back in the 80's though. Way more fleshed out than my little blue sky.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	8463264

Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	8463265

Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	8463266

Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	8463267

Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	8463268

Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	8463269

Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	8463270

Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	8463271
                        ​​​​​​Photos found on http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com

Comment

I don't know why, but it feels like the Great Muppet Movie Ride, but, you know, with Mickey and the gang in place of the Muppets.
                          My top favorite Disneyland attractions:

1. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
                          2. Pirates of the Caribbean
                          3. Splash Mountain
                          4. Mad Tea Party
                          5. Peter Pan's Flight
                          6. Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin

Comment

Honestly, the Great Movie Ride has so much potential and it is such a shame it is being wasted. First off, they should definitely make it a trackless ride. Second off, they really need to update the movies and how it is presented. It is presented like a stroll through classic movies. But most people don't want just classic movies. Most people haven't seen the majority of the movies featured on the ride! And the effects are so dated. I clearly remember how the Tarzan scene in particular was so dated the last time I rode the ride. He just kept swinging overhead over and over again.

But as I like to say, you can't present a problem unless you present a potential solution. So here's my solution. First of all, the ride becomes trackless, so the vehicles can move around to interact with the movies. This will also allow vehicles to stop at each movie and then move quickly to the next one. Second of all, the ride is given 3D effects. Think Spider Man or Transformers at Universal (but obviously not as intense of a ride, just so it can be more immersive). But the ride is not mostly 3D, just some parts to give it more realism, and should remain mostly animatronic/not projections. Third of all, the movies are updated. Keeping in mind Disney should only want Disney owned movies in the ride, I would only keep Mary Poppins and Indiana Jones of the current movies. That leaves 10 new movies (if the current amount is kept). I would go:
                            1) Star Wars (scene progresses through movies in chronological order but focuses mainly on episodes 4-9)
                            2) Toy Story (scene goes through Andy's bedroom with the toys doing activities)
                            3) Avengers (scene has all of the Avengers fighting a battle against the main villains)
                            4) Finding Nemo/Finding Dory (scene goes to different places ocean that were in the movie)
                            5) The Lion King (scene is focused around Pride Rock/Circle of Life song)
                            6) Frozen (scene has all of the characters singing "Let it Go" with the ice castle and village)
                            7) Monsters Inc (scene goes through a day on the work floor scaring kids with Mike & Sulley trying to find Boo)
                            8) Beauty and the Beast (scene is them dancing at his castle)
                            9) Alice in Wonderland (not sure about this one... maybe mad tea party or falling down the rabbit hole?)
                            10) Peter Pan (scene is flying to Neverland and battling Captain Hook)
                            Or something along those lines... Maybe Pirates of the Caribbean is in there somewhere...
                            Last of all, I would have Mickey now host the ride and essentially bring the riders between movies. No on board human host. Fantasia is therefore gone, and the final scene is now Mickey thanking the riders for going on the ride before showing a new version of the current snippets from movies ending.
                            Last edited by Imagineer45; 08-11-2016, 11:30 PM.

Comment

I rode the Great Movie Ride for the first time back in May!

I do hope the classic attraction is not going anywhere, since it is the centerpiece of Disney-MGM Studios or Disney's Hollywood Studios. So, what if it is dated? I don't care, I still love the attraction for what it is!

Walt Disney's Original Magic Kingdom!
                              Save
                              Sav

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X