Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Never been to Disney World. How busy will it be? Any tips?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Never been to Disney World. How busy will it be? Any tips?

Hello Californian here, been to Disneyland literally over a hundred times, worked in the park for internships but I've never been to Disneyworld. I'm planning on going the first/second week of December just because that time works best for me. In your experience how busy is the parks the first 2 weeks of December? Also planning on goin for 3 or 4 days. Not sure where to go or if I can complete multiple parks in a day or if I should skip any parks. I don't really know anything about Disneyworld to be honest so if anyone could give me any tips or advice for visiting this neck of the woods it would be much appreciated. Is 3 days enough?

I love Disney World, but don't get there nearly as much as I'd like. I've never been during the early part of December, so I don't really know about the crowds, but just expect busy. I'd plan on getting to each park before it opens. You will avoid a lot of crowds those first couple of hours. Be sure to get your fast passes ASAP. If you are staying on property, I think you can get them now.

IMHO, 3 or 4 days is a very short time, so you may have to forgo one or two parks. Our most recent trip there was for 7 days in the parks, and I felt a bit rushed. For me, even as a frequent Disneyland visitor, I'd make Magic Kingdom a must. Although it's similar to Disneyland, it is also quite different in many ways. It was a highlight of our most recent trip there. EPCOT is also a must do. I'd plan on two days for EPCOT. There's a lot to see there, and you'll really want time to savor it, rather than rushing through.

We were just at WDW in July. To be honest, we were all a bit underwhelmed by the Studios. Check out the attractions at each park, to see what's a must see, but in my opinion, I'd leave out the Studios. You can also possibly do a half day at Animal Kingdom and spend part of that day at another park.

If you're interested in ideas, check out my trip report here:

https://discuss.micechat.com/forum/d...lots-of-photos
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ip-report.html
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...something.html

No matter where you go, there you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Nemo123 View Post
      Hello Californian here, been to Disneyland literally over a hundred times, worked in the park for internships but I've never been to Disneyworld. I'm planning on going the first/second week of December just because that time works best for me. In your experience how busy is the parks the first 2 weeks of December? Also planning on goin for 3 or 4 days. Not sure where to go or if I can complete multiple parks in a day or if I should skip any parks. I don't really know anything about Disneyworld to be honest so if anyone could give me any tips or advice for visiting this neck of the woods it would be much appreciated. Is 3 days enough?
      I have been to WDW at the beginning of December and it's a great time to go, crowds are not to bad until you get closer to Christmas and of course all the decorations are already up. If you have a park hopper I would definitely suggest hitting all four parks so you can at least get a feel for what each one it like. The holiday decorations at MK will be similar to what you have in DL, but Epcot offers some unique holiday experiences you don't have out there. Disney Hollywood Studios will also have a new nighttime holiday show and there will also be some new holiday offering at Disney Springs, what Downtown Disney is not called at WDW. I am not sure what Animal Kingdom does for the holidays but it's probably the most unique park when compare to DL and with any luck their new nighttime show will be running by then.

4 days would probably be good, especially if you are willing to skip some of the attractions that are duplicated between DL and WDW. Things like Toy Story Midway Mania, Star Tours and Soarin, are pretty much identical between the parks, and other rides like Pirates and Small World are similar enough that I wouldn't be to concerned if you miss them at WDW. You definitely want to devote a whole day to Epcot and I highly recommend their nighttime show Illuminations which is a lot of people's favorite night time show. If you have to split a day you could do it between Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom if you are willing to miss the night time stuff at one of them. If you had to skip one, depending on your taste in attractions, I would probably say skip Hollywood Studios. Star Tours, TSMM, and Muppets 3D are the same as what you have/had in DL. Tower of Terror is similar although most people feel the one in WDW is better. Rock'n'Roller coaster is unique if you are into that kind of ride. Great Movie ride is the most unique ride in the park.

Be sure to keep an eye on the weather forecast for that time. It's normally pretty nice, but the time we went it was only in the 40's our first full day there, so it can get cold in Florida.

Comment

Awesome thanks a lot guys a really appreciate it cause I have no idea what I'm getting myself into haha. So I have 4 days and 2 of the days I have park hoppers so I'm hoping I can try to do animal kingdom and Hollywood studios one day, magic kingdom one day, Epcot one day, then the last day split it between my two favorites or anything I missed.

Comment

Originally posted by Nemo123 View Post
          Awesome thanks a lot guys a really appreciate it cause I have no idea what I'm getting myself into haha. So I have 4 days and 2 of the days I have park hoppers so I'm hoping I can try to do animal kingdom and Hollywood studios one day, magic kingdom one day, Epcot one day, then the last day split it between my two favorites or anything I missed.
          Park hoppers apply to the entire length of your ticket, how did you end up with only 2 hopper days?

Comment

To get the most out of your trip I would plan on 1 park per day. Over 4 days this will be extremely rushed. But a rushed day in Disney World beats the best day of working!

Comment

I was there during the first week of December in 2010. The crowds were light, but it was the national cheerleading championships which are held at the Wide World of Sports, and so there were massive groups of cheerleaders in every park, and every time one group saw another (in line or wherever), one group would start doing a cheer as loud as they could, and the other group would start doing a cheer even louder. I won't say it ruined my trip, but I still remember it VERY VIVIDLY even now 6 years later (and I've been back once since then).
              Disneyland Cast Member
              Outdoor Vending
              1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:

http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

Comment

Originally posted by danlb_2000 View Post

Park hoppers apply to the entire length of your ticket, how did you end up with only 2 hopper days?
                I used to be a cast member at Disneyland so I have some Comp Tickets I need to use. They are both good for hoppers which is why I only have two haha

Comment

Originally posted by Findawayout View Post
                  To get the most out of your trip I would plan on 1 park per day. Over 4 days this will be extremely rushed. But a rushed day in Disney World beats the best day of working!
                  yea I really wish I could stay longer just really tight on money and the tickets I have are gonna expire this summer so I need to go and try and make the most out of it haha

Comment

We recently did 4 days at the end of April. Until that point, DLR has been my home park. I've been probably as many times as yourself, having visited as a kid every couple of years and then being a cast member (Disney Store) in San Diego warrented lots and lots of visits. It wasn't nearly long enough to see everything, but we still managed to get to do what we wanted.

When we went, we ended up doing Animal Kingdom and Studios for one day, Epcot for one day, Magic Kingdom for one day, and then hitting up Animal Kingdom, Epcot and Magic Kingdom on our last to do the things we'd missed.

Studios is a half-day park right now, due to all the construction. I highly recommend doing ToT, Great Movie Ride and maybe watch the Beauty and the Beast and Indiana Jones shows. Their Fantasmic! is a bit different than DLR's, their "Murphy" looks awesome! Their Star Wars fireworks are super cool, but you may have the Christmas one at that time instead.

The Lion King show at Animal Kingdom is great! Expedition Everest is apparently awesome at night. The Finding Nemo show is also really good.

Epcot is a foodie haven. So..much..food.

Magic Kingdom has some really cool things I wish we had West Coast. They have a new Muppets show in Liberty Square, their Beauty and the Beast area is super cool (best cinnamon rolls, ever) and the Seven Dwarves' Mine Train is pretty fun. Don't do Space Mountain. Don't. As as West Coaster, you are Space Mountain spoiled. It's like Space Mountain and Matterhorn had a baby. (Sorry, WDW lovers.) Ride it if you're curious, I suppose.
                    Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
                    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
                    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
                    Neverland since 1996.
                    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

Comment

Originally posted by WildeNight View Post
                      We recently did 4 days at the end of April. Until that point, DLR has been my home park. I've been probably as many times as yourself, having visited as a kid every couple of years and then being a cast member (Disney Store) in San Diego warrented lots and lots of visits. It wasn't nearly long enough to see everything, but we still managed to get to do what we wanted.

When we went, we ended up doing Animal Kingdom and Studios for one day, Epcot for one day, Magic Kingdom for one day, and then hitting up Animal Kingdom, Epcot and Magic Kingdom on our last to do the things we'd missed.

Studios is a half-day park right now, due to all the construction. I highly recommend doing ToT, Great Movie Ride and maybe watch the Beauty and the Beast and Indiana Jones shows. Their Fantasmic! is a bit different than DLR's, their "Murphy" looks awesome! Their Star Wars fireworks are super cool, but you may have the Christmas one at that time instead.

The Lion King show at Animal Kingdom is great! Expedition Everest is apparently awesome at night. The Finding Nemo show is also really good.

Epcot is a foodie haven. So..much..food.

Magic Kingdom has some really cool things I wish we had West Coast. They have a new Muppets show in Liberty Square, their Beauty and the Beast area is super cool (best cinnamon rolls, ever) and the Seven Dwarves' Mine Train is pretty fun. Don't do Space Mountain. Don't. As as West Coaster, you are Space Mountain spoiled. It's like Space Mountain and Matterhorn had a baby. (Sorry, WDW lovers.) Ride it if you're curious, I suppose.
                      Sweet thanks for all the recommendations that is very helpful. Yea I've heard the space mountain isn't as good haha but I really wanna try tower since it actually moves forward I've heard. Glad to hear you did 4 days and still got to do a lot

Comment

The thing nobody tells you about WDW is how unbelievably time consuming it is to get around it. Unless you've got your own car, it can take hours to get from place to place. Until you see it you have no conception of how much stuff there is to do and how frustratingly massive it is.

I think seeing the parks at WDW is comparatively unimportant. MK is a great park and Epcot is unique, but most of them have fewer attractions and are in shoddier condition than the ones in DLR. There's only a handful of WDW attractions that I think are unambiguously better in FL... Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise, Tom Sawyer Island, Tower of Terror, is about it. Be sure to check out the Swiss Family Treehouse, Peoplemover, Carousel of Progress, and Country Bears because those are DL things you can't see there anymore. Hall of Presidents is terrific, but it'll be closed while you're there, so that's one less thing. I'd try to get lunch at Liberty Tree Tavern and eat dinner upstairs at Columbia Harbour House.

But the thing that makes WDW is the resorts, and I'd sacrifice seeing DHS to be able to see the Polynesian, with its beautiful grounds and unique Trader Sam's, the Grand Floridian, and Wilderness Lodge. Disney Springs is ludicrously huge, but there's a boat that goes from the Springs up a meandering river to Port Orleans, and it's absolutely worth a ride, one of the nicest things at WDW. On the other hand with only four days I wouldn't expect you to get over to that part of property at all.

Disneyland is entirely about those two parks. But if you really want to see where WDW's strengths are, you need to be willing to do things like walk along Seven Seas Lagoon and see the Electrical Water Pageant, take in dinner at Ohana, or drop by and see Animal Kingdom Lodge and get a drink. If you prioritize seeing everything in all four parks you are absolutely going to miss out on this, and it's the one thing that WDW really does very well. There's four Pirates of the Caribbeans, and three of them are better than the one at WDW, but there's only one Seven Seas Lagoon.

Oh, and you absolutely must arrive at rope drop for each park. Crowds are not like at DL where they build throughout the day and are steady until closing. Most vacationers won't even get into the parks around 11 am and will start to drop out around 7 or 8 pm as their kids have mental breakdowns. You will see more rides in the first few hours and last few hours of the park's operation than you will in all of the hours in the middle. It's a great chance to retreat to the hotel, grab a drink, and relax.

For more tips you should read the entirely sensible and 100% free advice on Tom Bricker's site: http://www.disneytouristblog.com

Comment

Originally posted by FoxxFur View Post
                          The thing nobody tells you about WDW is how unbelievably time consuming it is to get around it. Unless you've got your own car, it can take hours to get from place to place. Until you see it you have no conception of how much stuff there is to do and how frustratingly massive it is.

I think seeing the parks at WDW is comparatively unimportant. MK is a great park and Epcot is unique, but most of them have fewer attractions and are in shoddier condition than the ones in DLR. There's only a handful of WDW attractions that I think are unambiguously better in FL... Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise, Tom Sawyer Island, Tower of Terror, is about it. Be sure to check out the Swiss Family Treehouse, Peoplemover, Carousel of Progress, and Country Bears because those are DL things you can't see there anymore. Hall of Presidents is terrific, but it'll be closed while you're there, so that's one less thing. I'd try to get lunch at Liberty Tree Tavern and eat dinner upstairs at Columbia Harbour House.

But the thing that makes WDW is the resorts, and I'd sacrifice seeing DHS to be able to see the Polynesian, with its beautiful grounds and unique Trader Sam's, the Grand Floridian, and Wilderness Lodge. Disney Springs is ludicrously huge, but there's a boat that goes from the Springs up a meandering river to Port Orleans, and it's absolutely worth a ride, one of the nicest things at WDW. On the other hand with only four days I wouldn't expect you to get over to that part of property at all.

Disneyland is entirely about those two parks. But if you really want to see where WDW's strengths are, you need to be willing to do things like walk along Seven Seas Lagoon and see the Electrical Water Pageant, take in dinner at Ohana, or drop by and see Animal Kingdom Lodge and get a drink. If you prioritize seeing everything in all four parks you are absolutely going to miss out on this, and it's the one thing that WDW really does very well. There's four Pirates of the Caribbeans, and three of them are better than the one at WDW, but there's only one Seven Seas Lagoon.

Oh, and you absolutely must arrive at rope drop for each park. Crowds are not like at DL where they build throughout the day and are steady until closing. Most vacationers won't even get into the parks around 11 am and will start to drop out around 7 or 8 pm as their kids have mental breakdowns. You will see more rides in the first few hours and last few hours of the park's operation than you will in all of the hours in the middle. It's a great chance to retreat to the hotel, grab a drink, and relax.

For more tips you should read the entirely sensible and 100% free advice on Tom Bricker's site: http://www.disneytouristblog.com
                          Awesome thank you for all the great information. I had no idea WDW even had a people mover thats really cool.

Comment

Originally posted by FoxxFur View Post

Yes, it does take more time to get around at WDW, but I think it's an exaggeration to say "hours". Worst case it's never taken me more then an hour to get from point to point and it's often less. During busier times it can he rough getting a bus at park closing, but at other times it's not that bad.

Comment

Originally posted by danlb_2000 View Post

Yes, it does take more time to get around at WDW, but I think it's an exaggeration to say "hours". Worst case it's never taken me more then an hour to get from point to point and it's often less. During busier times it can he rough getting a bus at park closing, but at other times it's not that bad.
                              I'm a local so I drive everywhere, but I do know some people who have (at least reported) having taken two hours to get from their hotel to Disney Springs.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X