Announcement

Collapse

Your Assistance Please

We need your help to battle spammers and also to keep our community user friendly.
PLEASE BE KIND TO OTHERS - Refrain from personal attacks. Avoid politics and harsh language whenever possible. If someone is violating our simple rules, DO NOT confront them, simply report the post.
STOP SPAMMERS - Report the post. DO NOT respond to them.

2017 is a year of renewal for us, we have lots of exciting changes on the way for you, but we don't have time to deal with trolls and spammers. If you find yourself suspended and need to plead your case, you will need to do so after your suspension. We are happy to address your concerns if you made a simple mistake. However, please note that those with a history of bad behavior and pushing our rules to the limit will not be given the courtesy of a reply.

MiceChat offers a number of ways for you to communicate and get involved. We offer Facebook Groups and Pages, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest accounts. We have a front page filled with amazing content. We offer weekly meetups in the parks. Meets and events all over the world. Podcasts and videos. And we continue to maintain forums for your posting convenience. But with all those options, we can't be everywhere all the time. We need YOUR help. Please don't poke the trolls. Report posts and leave reputation. We'll do our best to keep the forums clean and active, but we can't do so without your help.

Thank you for your support folks, it's going to be a really fantastic year in the MiceChat world.
See more
See less

Does the Jungle Cruise still do this?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does the Jungle Cruise still do this?

Hi everyone! I was wondering if someone could answer a small question for me. I went to Disney World in the mid 2000s, when I was around 7 or 8. A lot of that trip has blended together for me, but one thing I definitely do remember was being given the opportunity to "pilot" a Jungle Cruise boat, during the part with the abandoned temple (Or at least that's what I think it was haha). I didn't realize that the ride was on a track and took the job VERY seriously, to the point where I was worried about crashing the boat on all of the turns . I'm pretty sure I got a certificate or sticker or something afterwards, but if that still exists, it's because my mom has it, not me.

Anyway, I was wondering if this is a common thing they do there (I've only been to WDW the one time, I'm much more of a DL person), and if it's still done. It really made the ride special for me, that's for sure. Does anyone know anything about this, or why it isn't done at Disneyland at all? I'm sorry if the answer to this is incredibly obvious, like I said, I've only been to WDW once as a kid.

Thank you to anyone who can shed some light on this!
    Last edited by WonderlandTea; 11-21-2016, 08:56 AM.

The last couple of visits to JC in Florida the CM every time would stop talking and sit/lean on the center box on the boat while driving through the temple. It was very odd and little upsetting.
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

Comment

Originally posted by brianpinsky View Post
      The last couple of visits to JC in Florida the CM every time would stop talking and sit/lean on the center box on the boat while driving through the temple. It was very odd and little upsetting.
      They did that last time I was there also, I am not sure why they do that or even if it has always been that way.

Comment

Wow that is strange. Would they continue steering or just let the boat run its course? Because I would be pretty angry if a skipper just up and decided to stop steering a boat!

Comment

If you ask, or if it's someone's birthday or special day some of the skippers will allow them the opportunity to "drive" the boat during that segment. Otherwise they will stop talking and step aside during the temple, like the one skipper did. This is because during that part they are trying to show respect to those that even today continue to honor the religious elements that are reconstructed and presented in the temple area. I'm not sure what might have happened in the past to cause them to do that, (I'm guessing someone got seriously offended over whatever was said and done and pitched a fit) but it's been the practice to not talk/ drive/ etc., for several years now.

Some will stand/ sit quietly with a hand on the wheel, but many do not.

Comment

Originally posted by sirwillow View Post

If you ask, or if it's someone's birthday or special day some of the skippers will allow them the opportunity to "drive" the boat during that segment. Otherwise they will stop talking and step aside during the temple, like the one skipper did. This is because during that part they are trying to show respect to those that even today continue to honor the religious elements that are reconstructed and presented in the temple area. I'm not sure what might have happened in the past to cause them to do that, (I'm guessing someone got seriously offended over whatever was said and done and pitched a fit) but it's been the practice to not talk/ drive/ etc., for several years now.

Some will stand/ sit quietly with a hand on the wheel, but many do not.
            Interesting that they would allow someone else to pilot the boat but not do it themselves to avoid offending anyone...I don't really get offended by things like that, but I would imagine whoever would be hurt by someone talking through the temple would be even more offended by having a child drive through than the skipper (is there an award for who can use the word "offended" the most in one sentence? lol)

That said, it's interesting that they do it if you ask, because I'm certain no one in my group did, as we had never gone to WDW and we didn't know that was possible. If anything, we had planned the trip around my older sister's birthday, so it would've been odd if the skipper picked me while she had the pin on haha. Maybe they used to ask kids to do it more often back then?

Comment

Ex WDW skipper here.

There is no written spiel for the Temple - you're supposed to sit down and let the scene speak for itself, and most often that's the best way to do it. It also conveniently gives you a short break from spieling roughly in the middle of the ride.

"Guest Skippers" are, as best as I know, still a thing. I have no idea if they still hand out the cards or not; I haven't worked there in a long time now. whether or not it is done is 100% at the discretion of the skipper. It is an entirely optional part of the show. Some skippers do it every time, some never do it. I tended not to do it unless I was asked, because it was one less thing to worry about while trying to deliver a show. Many of the less experienced skippers tend to do it a lot because it takes some of the pressure off you to perform.

Comment

Thanks for the info! it really cleared everything up

Comment

Thanks for the clarification FoxxFur!! Much appreciated.

Comment

I hesitate to put this out there due to not wanting to offend anyone, but, you folks do realize that the steering wheel isn't attached to anything don't you?The boat is on a track. Sorry, if you already knew, but, some of the posts seemed to imply that they were worried that the boat would run into something if the "skipper'' wasn't paying attention. If not... ignore this post and move along.

Comment

Originally posted by Goofyernmost View Post
                      I hesitate to put this out there due to not wanting to offend anyone, but, you folks do realize that the steering wheel isn't attached to anything don't you?The boat is on a track. Sorry, if you already knew, but, some of the posts seemed to imply that they were worried that the boat would run into something if the "skipper'' wasn't paying attention. If not... ignore this post and move along.
                      yes, but they also mentioned that they were 7 years old at the time they were worried about hitting something.

Comment

Originally posted by sirwillow View Post

yes, but they also mentioned that they were 7 years old at the time they were worried about hitting something.
                        Not him, there were others that did express concern about the Skipper leaning against the console while inside the temple and being afraid that the boat might run into something. I might have read it wrong which was why I was concerned about mentioning it. The concern seemed sincere and I couldn't tell if it was just joking or a real concern. Again it was not the original poster that I was referencing here, it was a couple that followed. Not meant to be an insult of any kind.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X