Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happens with the resort Gingerbread houses?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happens with the resort Gingerbread houses?

I was checking today's dateline disneyworld and I saw this picture:

That is A LOT food worth of ingredients. What happens to the Gingerbread houses after the holidays? Are they given to cast members to enjoy? Donated to charity? I really hope they are not thrown away as garbage- that would be an awful waste of food! Anyone knows?

While I have no knowledge, it just sits out there, exposed to the elements and all the people who probably come up and touch it (and I'm sure a fair share try to lick it) for weeks on end. Even if no one did touch it, I'd imagine it to be pretty stale after all that time. So I can't imagine it's consumable at that point.
    Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

Comment

Ya I read most American families waste $1500 worth of food a year so not surprising.

Comment

Trust me, those things are NOT edible after being out for 2 months for the holidays and on display, exposed to tourists and who knows what else. While it may seems like they are wasting a lot of "food", think about how much the parks would spend on decorations and landscaping otherwise on other materials and it's going to come out to similar costs.

Comment

Oh my, why not just make a maquette version just to ice differently every year. The ultimate American wastefulness. I'll write a letter to them to see what they reply.

Comment

Originally posted by mtlchuck View Post
            I was checking today's dateline disneyworld and I saw this picture:

That is A LOT food worth of ingredients. What happens to the Gingerbread houses after the holidays? Are they given to cast members to enjoy? Donated to charity? I really hope they are not thrown away as garbage- that would be an awful waste of food! Anyone knows?

Here is part of the answer, the icing is fed to the bees....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjxjNSaHAyg

When it comes to food waste the houses are just a drop in the bucket. According to this article WDW generates 100 tons of food waster every day. A lot of it is turned into electricity, but it's still a waste.

http://fortune.com/2015/09/09/harves...hleen-ligocki/

Comment

Originally posted by danlb_2000 View Post

Here is part of the answer, the icing is fed to the bees....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjxjNSaHAyg

When it comes to food waste the houses are just a drop in the bucket. According to this article WDW generates 100 tons of food waster every day. A lot of it is turned into electricity, but it's still a waste.

http://fortune.com/2015/09/09/harves...hleen-ligocki/
              Well that is neat! At least they found a way to make it useful afterwards

And I had understood that food waste, at least at the Disneyland Resort, was transformed into animal food and donated to animal shelters. I wonder if its the case in WDW?

Food waste comes all down to the culture- American being a very wasteful one. I remember that once during my visit to WDW, I saw a kid helping himself 5 donuts for breakfast at the hotel's breakfast buffet, eating 1, and throwing the other 4 to the trash.

Comment

Well that is neat! At least they found a way to make it useful afterwards

And I had understood that food waste, at least at the Disneyland Resort, was transformed into animal food and donated to animal shelters. I wonder if its the case in WDW?

Food waste comes all down to the culture- American being a very wasteful one. I remember that once during my visit to WDW, I saw a kid helping himself 5 donuts for breakfast at the hotel's breakfast buffet, eating 1, and throwing the other 4 to the trash.
                As the second article explains, a lot of the WDW food waste is used to generate power.

Comment

This thread is a lot fun if you take a drink every times someone types wasteful and American.
                  This Space For Rent

Comment

Well, no country that has experienced war or poverty would really consider using enormous amounts of edible food for decoration purposes. France has strict laws about food waste, which I am sure would make this impossible to do in DLP. Just a general thought.
                    Last edited by mtlchuck; 12-02-2016, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Well, no country that has experienced war or poverty would really consider using enormous amounts of edible food for decoration purposes. France has strict laws about food waste, which I am sure would make this impossible to do in DLP. Just a general thought.
                      And yet here's the Grand Floridian gingerbread house in the lobby of the Disneyland Hotel in Paris! Ooops?

Comment

Originally posted by FoxxFur View Post

And yet here's the Grand Floridian gingerbread house in the lobby of the Disneyland Hotel in Paris! Ooops?
                        I wonder how they get away with that. No wonder Disneyland is looked down on in Europe and comments like these are still being made:

"I used the phrase cultural Chernobyl back in 1992 for Disneyland Resort Paris in a private conversation with Robert Fitzpatrick, who became its first chairman. He’s the one who made it public, not me. But there’s no question that we are experiencing a cultural Chernobyl in Europe today..."

Comment

The gingerbread gets broken up and rationed out to starving CP's as a Christmas bonus.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X