This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18% Gratuity Now Required at WDW

It appears even if you are a party of two, you will be paying an 18% tip at all WDW restaurants...

This update has been provided by www.wdwnewstoday.com.
    Webmaster of WDW News Today
    Host of the WDW News Today Podcast
    Visit us at

Re: 18% Gratuity Now Required at WDW

Bad form on Disney's part. Now the servers have a near excuse to slack since no matter what, they're getting tipped.

If any server feels that that's OK, you bet your butt I'm speaking with their manager and getting that 18% (unearned) tip back!

Comment

Ewww...

However, this last trip to WDW I was on the free Disney Dining Plan... and even though gratuity was included in the plan, I didn't experience a lack of service on any part.

In fact, at California Grill I spoke with a manager about Billy (our server) on how wonderful he was. On top of the 18% that was included, my party of four also left him around a $100 tip extra. He wound up getting (minus whatever shares go out to the supplemental help, like bussers) around a $180 tip... and we didn't even drink any alcohol.

Even at the one credit locations or smaller locations that get really busy, like Donald's Breakfastosaurus... the service was pretty good.
      Burnt Toast
      The Magic Begins With Me...! 8:P

Comment

Oh man this is terrible... at my stay all week at WDW two weeks ago, not ONCE did I experience service that deserved an automatic 18%.

Mythos at Universal on the otherhand... that server did deserve it.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
        http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
        http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

I do not like this at all. I like to be able to give what I feel is appropriate. Usually I give around 20%, so I might end up saving some money.

Comment

That's really tacky on WDW's part.

This makes me want to avoid WDW even more, when they don't even accept tips anywhere at Tokyo Disney Resort but always provided flawless and gracious service. Magellan's had some of the best service of any restaurant anywhere, not just Disney park restauratns. Magellan's was better than Napa Rose, better than Club 33, better than Victoria and Albert's. Magellan's is on par with Studio at Hotel Montage in Laguna Beach, it's that good. And no tipping allowed at Magellan's in DisneySea.

Really tacky move on WDW's part. Just tacky.

Comment

I guess they figure this gets them out of giving their waitstaff a reasonable pay increase.

Comment

Originally posted by ekester View Post
                I guess they figure this gets them out of giving their waitstaff a reasonable pay increase.
                That's what I was going to say. They don't want to pay them any more, so they force us to. :thumbdown

Comment

Wait, so is it for any one or only people apart of the Disney Dinning Plan/Disney Dinning Experience?

Comment

I am changing my post here. At the time when it was first discussed (months ago), the talk was that it was only for DDE. That is really odd that they have possibly made it an across-the-board tip. I don't mind on DDE, since I'm getting a discount already. At the time, they definitely were NOT going to make it everyone, because there was talk of parties of 6 being considered a group for a tip. They wouldn't need to differentiate then.
                    Last edited by nbodyhome; 11-09-2007, 01:30 PM.
                    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Originally posted by TDLFAN
                    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
                    on Bay Lake.

Comment

Originally posted by TP2000 View Post
                      That's really tacky on WDW's part.

This makes me want to avoid WDW even more, when they don't even accept tips anywhere at Tokyo Disney Resort but always provided flawless and gracious service.
                      I agree that an auto-18% is tacky for ALL parties (but for parties that are of a certain size, that is standard).

Though comparing it to Tokyo's lack-of-tipping is sort of a misnomer. In America, servers live off the tips. They either earn a very small wage(i.e. $2/hr) or none at all, plus tips. Tipping is part of American culture, but it is not part of Japanese culture.

In Toyko they pay servers a higher wage because there is no tipping. It is my understanding that tipping can cause some cultural embarrassment to you and your waiter, or even may be considered rude -- something having to do with the "obvious" nature of throwing cash at people.
                      I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)
                      sigpic

Founding Member of the BA!

Comment

On a Disney site, it says:

* Gratuities are not included unless otherwise indicated. An 18% gratuity will be added automatically for parties of 6 or more. **

That is for 2008. I would be very surprised if they changed that, it is possible that the people at DDE are misinformed. But we'll see.
                        Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

Comment

I have a story that a vactioner from the UK told me 2 weeks ago while I was at WDW. He asked me if it was typical for parties of 2 to be charged 18% gratuity. I said "HELL NO!" He was pretty upset about it but didn't really question it.

This was at Planet Hollywood in Downtown Disney.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
                          http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
                          http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

Originally posted by Chernabog View Post
                            Tipping is part of American culture, but it is not part of Japanese culture.

In Toyko they pay servers a higher wage because there is no tipping. It is my understanding that tipping can cause some cultural embarrassment to you and your waiter, or even may be considered rude -- something having to do with the "obvious" nature of throwing cash at people.
                            It's more of a culture of not ripping you the hell off.

It's funny that in Japan they don't accept tips, pay their employees a proper wage, and yet the food isn't any more expensive than in the US. Restaurants across the board at TDR seemed pretty evenly priced with the ones in the US. In a country where it's not customary to give out tips you get great service but in a country where you are shamed into giving a tip regardless of service, you get bad service.

Comment

I am on the phone with Disney right now, and a supervisor sent an email to the agent who I'm speaking with (and others). The supervisor says there is no official information right now.
                              Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X