Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

MiceChat Rules

A list of MiceChat's rules can be found at the top of the Disneyland forum.
2 of 2 < >

Ad Blockers

Please do not use ad blocking software when visiting MiceChat. It costs money to keep MiceChat online, and ad revenue offsets this. Thank you.
See more
See less

So if Avatar 2 flops...

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

The accomplishments of MiceChat's members are irrelevant to their participation in this forum. MiceChat was founded to allow the discussion of all opinions, pro and con, on all things related to Disney. Slams on management are as equally allowed as gushing praise. What's not allowed are attempts to mock, slam or denigrate the opinions of Micechatters that differ from yours -- it's against the Terms of Service of this site.

Thank you. They're discussion forums, not agreement forums, after all...

Comment

WaterWorld at Universal Studios continues to win awards for best theme park show and continues to be one of the highest capacity attractions at the parks its at. A movie bombing doesn't mean anything if the attraction is well designed.

Comment

The more I find out about Joe Rohde, the more impressed I am with him as a person. A very talented and intelligent individual. As far as Avatar 2 being a flop, one guy that I would not bet against is James Cameron. While many may critique his work as shallow and predictable, he seems to know how to craft films that people MUST (and do) see. Pandora looks extremely well executed and if anything will bring interest in Avatar back. Disney definitely did not do this on the cheap. I hope it pays off, as it's success along with Cars Land could pave the way into a "quality counts" mindset at Disney. Star Wars Land and it's proper build out and investment can only benefit from a successful World of Pandora. Already planning on a fall visit...

Comment

I personally think Avatar 2 will do well, although probably not as well as the first. Sequel to the highest grossing movie of all time is a great marketing tool, not to mention James Cameron's track record. I think the big question mark is how well 3,4 and 5 will do. He is really going to need the audience to have a stronger connection with the characters if he wants to sustain this for 4 more movies.

Comment

This is a silly thread. Pandora will be around for decades and thinking otherwise is silly.
            Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Fukai View Post
              This is a silly thread. Pandora will be around for decades and thinking otherwise is silly.
              RIP Tower of Terror at DCA. 2004 - 2016

Comment

The movie was visually interesting but I still maintain that James Cameron is a hack writer and that the movie was too gimmicky.
                Terminator 1 through 3. Titanic. True Lies. The Abyss. Rambo II. Yeah, what a hack.

Comment

Originally posted by danyoung View Post

Terminator 1 through 3. Titanic. True Lies. The Abyss. Rambo II. Yeah, what a hack.
                  Cameron didn't have anything to do with Terminator 3, and it shows. It definitely didn't live up to the standards set by the first two.

Comment

Sorry. He got a writing credit as the creator of the characters, but other than that he had nothing to do with 3. But my basic point still stands.

Comment

Here's something I've wondered, in the contract that Disney has with James Cameron for his Avatar IP, do you think there are clauses that allow Disney to back out of the licensing deal under certain circumstances? Like if the land fails to perform as expected or generate a certain profit, or if guest interest declines to the point where the land is pretty much empty. I don't see Disney pouring money into upkeep of a land based on a franchise that guests are uninterested in. I know interest seems to be high right now, but lets say that 5 years from now, attendance plummets and the land sits empty, do you suppose that Disney would have the right to get out of this IP deal and re-theme the area however they see fit?

Comment

Originally posted by Voicetek View Post
                        Here's something I've wondered, in the contract that Disney has with James Cameron for his Avatar IP, do you think there are clauses that allow Disney to back out of the licensing deal under certain circumstances? Like if the land fails to perform as expected or generate a certain profit, or if guest interest declines to the point where the land is pretty much empty. I don't see Disney pouring money into upkeep of a land based on a franchise that guests are uninterested in. I know interest seems to be high right now, but lets say that 5 years from now, attendance plummets and the land sits empty, do you suppose that Disney would have the right to get out of this IP deal and re-theme the area however they see fit?
                        James Cameron is one of the most powerful players in Hollywood (if not the most). I think there's no possibility that he would have gone into a deal with Disney that included such a clause.

Cameron didn't ask Disney to license his IP, Disney came to him. Tom reportedly got the idea for Avatarland while looking at Carsland construction. Bob signed off on it. Disney P&R decided to spend big bucks on a theme park land based on an IP they don't own, and which had generated zero ancillary business, and for which a sequel couldn't even confidently be put on the calendar (and still can't). "You pays your money, you takes your chances" applies.
                        "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
                        Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
                        imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Comment

Originally posted by Voicetek View Post
                          I wouldn't be surprised if there was some sort of escape clause in the contract, Disney's lawyers are pretty thorough. With that said, what exactly would it mean to get out of the deal? Cameron's company clearly invested a lot of time into this so it's likely that there are minimum payments they Disney has to make to them. Even more complicated, what happens to the land? If you look at something like Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, or Rock'n'Roller coaster, removing the licensed IP wouldn't be that hard, but with Avatar the entire look of the land come from the movies. If getting out of the contract meant bulldozing the entire land, then the bar for failure would have to be really high because of the cost of re-doing the land. Since I doubt Disney would get into a perpetual contract there must be terms in the contract for exactly what would have to be done if the deal ends. Wizarding World at Universal would have the same sort of issue.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X