Announcement

Collapse

POLL: Help decide the future of the forums

Please go to the following link and provide your opinion on how we should proceed in regards to the forum software. https://discuss.micechat.com/forum/d...um-s-next-step
See more
See less

MK Haunted Mansion Facade Front Door

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MK Haunted Mansion Facade Front Door

The Haunted Mansion façade at Disney World has been of some curiosity to me. The left and right wing of the façade holds the Stretching Rooms, but I was wondering if the façade front door can open at all. If it does, I wonder what is behind there. Chances are the door is fake and actually doesn't open, or if it does it would obviously be maintenance access. But are there any former or current cast members who can confirm if the façade front door can or can not open and what might be behind it in the façade?
    Last edited by DocPaddock; 01-04-2017, 08:11 PM. Reason: Haunted Mansion, MK, facade, front door, Magic Kingdom, WDW, Disney World, Walt Disney World
    Always follow your dreams...sigpic

I don't know about the door but I always found the guest entrance odd- you enter through some cellar / servant type entrance below the main front door but inside you are in the main entrance with the stretching rooms. Is there an explanation for this or is just a design thing? In California and Paris you enter through the front door so I wondered if was a mistake or done intentionally

Comment

The door does not open, and it's smaller than you think. Even if it did open, it would simply open into empty space, with a 4-5 foot drop to the floor below.

Without getting into a long discussion on exactly how historical houses were built, I will say that the entrance to the MK HM is not historically invalid but it is somewhat unusual. The side of the house that you see from the river is the "prospect" side, or the fanciest side of the house which faces the most expensive part of the estate - often a body or water or formal garden. The "entrance" to the house was often a plainer side facing another direction - in our imaginations, it's out back somewhere. The way guests enter is through what is known as a "porte cochere", which was often located on another side of the house and was used expressly for social purposes - coaches and carriages could pull directly up to it. Porte Cocheres in historical houses often opened up not into a grand foyer but into a modest room where hats, coats, and boots could be stored and guests could be greeted - the entry room of the house. From there, past the stretch room (hidden behind two secret panels), the load area for the ride is located in the house's Great Hall - a common social space with sometimes appears in old Mansions - the White House has a famous one. This is why the "ground floor" ofd the house is entirely social spaces - parlors, galleries, libraries.

Is it 100% historically accurate? Of course not, it's a stylization. However if you Google "Gothic Revival Mansion", you'll see all of these features of real old houses, again and again. And let's not forget that the family who "built" the Haunted Mansion chose to build a ludicrous modern (for the nineteenth century) replica of the medieval castle in the wilds of New England - eccentricity is to be expected.

And, a nitpick - only at Phantom Manor do you enter the Mansion's front door. In Disneyland you enter a door immediately to the right of the front door.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X