Announcement

Collapse
1 of 3 < >

UPGRADE

The forums will be upgraded to the latest software version on 9/26/17 at 9:30pm PDT. The upgrade should only take a few minutes. During the upgrade you might experience errors, but they will go away once the upgrade is completed. This is not the upgrade/move we have been discussing for the past few months. This is just normal, minor maintenance. Thank you.
2 of 3 < >

Ad Blockers

Please do not use ad blocking software when visiting MiceChat. It costs money to keep MiceChat online, and ad revenue offsets this. Thank you.
3 of 3 < >

Registration Policy

In order to eliminate SPAM, all new users must verify their email. Once the email address is verified, we make sure your IP address is not a VPN, proxy, or tor exit node. If you have tried to register and it was not approved, please send an email to administrator@micechat.com. We will try to resolve the issue and then you can try again. Thank you.
See more
See less

Rivers of Light Preview

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rivers of Light Preview

Disneyandmore just posted this video from a special preview of Rivers of Light:

Cast your votes in this poll from your initial thoughts !
    Amazing, seems to be set to be the Fantasmic! of the Animal Kingom
    9.52%
    Looks ok, I'll give it a chance when I see it in person.
    47.62%
    Looks boring, it will need to be reworked if this is not the final version
    42.86%
    Last edited by mtlchuck; 02-08-2017, 07:07 PM.

Wow the music in this is fantastic. Who did the score?

Comment

I'm gonna give it a chance. It doesn't seem to have that certain something that Fantasmic has, but....given how amazing the theming is at AK, it might just be an awesome experience to see the show in that environment. I'm excited for it. Hope to see it in October.

Comment

I would like some ties to Disney movies and music, albeit in a very sophisticated way (think Broadway version of The Lion King). I would love some moments with orchestrated music from The Jungle Book, Pocahontas, Bambi, The Lion King... I know non-character or movie shows can be popular (like the Tapestry of Dreams parade at Epcot), but I think that Tokyo Disney Sea does a better job at sophisticating Disney properties for their shows. Just some thoughts.

Comment

I feel a bit underwhelmed with it. It need more floats. A little more action. Music was a hit and miss for me.

Comment

I think it's very nicely done and most importantly it's a perfect fit for Animal Kingdom.

Comment

Originally posted by StickyFrenchToast View Post
              Wow the music in this is fantastic. Who did the score?
              Don L. Harper and Mark Mancina...

"Don L. Harper is credited with work on the scores for National Treasure, Training Day, Armageddon, The Rock, Twister, Broken Arrow, Assassins, and Speed. In the theme park environment, Harper recorded the soundtrack for Fantasmic! at Tokyo DisneySea.

Mark Mancina, who has produced an original song for Rivers of Light, worked on arranging many of the songs in The Lion King, including the Broadway musical. He also collaborated with Phil Collins on the Tarzan and Brother Bear soundtracks."

http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/...s-of-light.htm

Comment

I liked it. It wasn't a dumb, technological spectacle like Fantasmic or WOC and it wasn't as bombastic as Illuminations. It was a slow, beautiful, artistically expressive show. There was no grandeur and no forced marketing- that's what made it good. People need to remember that a show doesn't always have to be a showy piece of tech and equipment. Its about the music, the colors, the costumes, etc. It was gorgeous.

Comment

Originally posted by Spectacular View Post
                  I liked it. It wasn't a dumb, technological spectacle like Fantasmic or WOC and it wasn't as bombastic as Illuminations. It was a slow, beautiful, artistically expressive show. There was no grandeur and no forced marketing- that's what made it good. People need to remember that a show doesn't always have to be a showy piece of tech and equipment. Its about the music, the colors, the costumes, etc. It was gorgeous.

The problem I have with this is that it lacks a "Wow" factor that would make it distinctly Disney. I find it on par with municipal shows (here in Canada the city of Ottawa makes a projection and light show at the Parliament in the summer, and its the same, pretty and quaint, but not "Disney quality".

Comment

Originally posted by danlb_2000 View Post

Don L. Harper and Mark Mancina...

"Don L. Harper is credited with work on the scores for National Treasure, Training Day, Armageddon, The Rock, Twister, Broken Arrow, Assassins, and Speed. In the theme park environment, Harper recorded the soundtrack for Fantasmic! at Tokyo DisneySea.

Mark Mancina, who has produced an original song for Rivers of Light, worked on arranging many of the songs in The Lion King, including the Broadway musical. He also collaborated with Phil Collins on the Tarzan and Brother Bear soundtracks."

http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/...s-of-light.htm
                    Thank you for this info! I really am loving the music to this.

Comment

Originally posted by mtlchuck View Post

The problem I have with this is that it lacks a "Wow" factor that would make it distinctly Disney. I find it on par with municipal shows (here in Canada the city of Ottawa makes a projection and light show at the Parliament in the summer, and its the same, pretty and quaint, but not "Disney quality".
                      Fundamentally, I agree with you, from watching it here. But...I keep thinking about comparisons to Fantasmic. I think most people agree that F! is better at DL than WDW because it fits in so "organically" with the Rivers of America. I'm hoping that this show, being in AK, with its special magic, will also have that special extra punch and the "Disney quality" we hope for.

Honestly, from just looking at the video, it reminds me too much of World of Color, which I enjoy, but don't think is "one of the greats."
                      So, again, giving it a chance until I see it in real life. And also look forward to reading guest reviews.

Comment

The score, and visuals are stunning. The pacing, story, and scope leave much to be desired. It doesn't have the larger than life feeling that World of Color or Fantasmic have and the finale left me thinking, "that's it? A flaming thing popped out of the middle of a flower? Where have I seen this before? Oh right, Illuminations"

It still needs major reworking, what's left of the original show isn't delivering.

(granted this is just based on the video, i'd like to see it in person)

Comment

Originally posted by mtlchuck View Post
                          Bingo. Is this an in-house Disney production? The music and visuals are great, but as a show it comes across as sort of generic -- as if they farmed it to an outside company. The pacing plods along without much change. Goes on 'way too long.

Makes you wonder why, with all that cool tech, they aren't using it to tell a more compelling story.

Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 02-09-2017, 09:10 PM.
                          "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
                          Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
                          imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

Bingo. Is this an in-house Disney production? The music and visuals are great, but as a show it comes across as sort of generic -- as if they farmed it to an outside company. The pacing plods along without much change. Goes on 'way too long.

Makes you wonder why, with all that cool tech, they aren't using it to tell a more compelling story.
                            Agreed. This also happened to the original World of Color - where people were complaining that the show lacked a cohesive storyline and just came as a mish-mash of clips. I find that Rivers of Light should also have a connecting storyline. Rivers of Light looks just like an enhanced slideshow about animals. Even though I like the paper animals, I find the flower pods to be very underwhelming, and as someone pointed out, the finale also leaves much to be desired. ALSO, wasn't the Tree of Life supposed to get some projections and luminescent leaves as part of the show? Or did I get that wrong?

Comment

When I saw that flame tree rise out of the larger lotus I was hoping to hear the shaman say "Share your light! Share it with the World!" LoL. Flashbacks of Luminaria.

I'd probably do a dining package next time I'm out in WDW. It'd be more to go back to Tiffin's than for the actual show, though.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X