Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

MiceChat Rules

A list of MiceChat's rules can be found at the top of the Disneyland forum.
2 of 2 < >

Ad Blockers

Please do not use ad blocking software when visiting MiceChat. It costs money to keep MiceChat online, and ad revenue offsets this. Thank you.
See more
See less

Rivers of Light Preview

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

Bingo. Is this an in-house Disney production? The music and visuals are great, but as a show it comes across as sort of generic -- as if they farmed it to an outside company. The pacing plods along without much change. Goes on 'way too long.

Makes you wonder why, with all that cool tech, they aren't using it to tell a more compelling story.
    This is done by Disney, but not by those you think it would have been done by. Steve Davison was NOT involved in this project. Joe Rhoede was involved... so you can obviously tell this show was made by a group of imagineers who have no experience with theater spectacles. Don't get me wrong though, the Show is gorgeous. Just unique.

Comment

The best reaction I've seen is this: "It's like watching the globe portion of Illumnations for 15 minutes".

Comment

Remember when this was supposed to be done last November? I thought they'd given up since they hadn't really spoken about it since.

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeyDishwasher View Post
          Remember when this was supposed to be done last November? I thought they'd given up since they hadn't really spoken about it since.
          This was supposed to be done last April, even had an opening date announced!

Comment

I'm assuming the "hundreds floating of lanterns" got cut from the show. I would have loved to see that.
            "If you can dream it, you can do it" - Walt Disney

Comment

One must be careful trying to judge via YouTube, but even then this is really underwhelming. Suddenly it makes sense why this show was delayed and delayed for an entire year; it just wasn't very good.

There's no Disney connection. The visuals are impressive, but small and very repetitive. The narration is that typical 21st century pseudo-spiritual theme park blather that is supposed to "mean something" about light, love, connection, blah-blah-blah, but just comes off as nothing important.

There's no big wow, and the finale' is impotent.

This looks like a really good opportunity to go ride Everest without a Fastpass while everyone is packed into Shamu Stadium watching this generic light show.

Comment

Well I haven't watched it so can't comment personally but I believe everyone who says its underwhelming. Its kind of a shame considering all the build up this show and then nearly a year delay for it. The show must have been even worst.

But that said shows can evolve and improve, thats the beauty of them. WOC has had multiple iterations now and I believe getting a brand new show. But I think this show is just great for people to finally feel AK is a real park now. Its just nice they have a night time show, the park opens later and Pandora will be here soon. AK sounds like its going to be a full day park now so they needed their own night time show to compete with F!, fireworks, Illuminations, etc.

I might be going to WDW this summer now (hence why I dont want to watch the video I still want to see it on my own) and I will give it a chance if I do but with lower expectations.

Comment

Originally posted by Fctiger View Post
                  Well I haven't watched it so can't comment personally but I believe everyone who says its underwhelming. Its kind of a shame considering all the build up this show and then nearly a year delay for it. The show must have been even worst.

But that said shows can evolve and improve, thats the beauty of them. WOC has had multiple iterations now and I believe getting a brand new show. But I think this show is just great for people to finally feel AK is a real park now. Its just nice they have a night time show, the park opens later and Pandora will be here soon. AK sounds like its going to be a full day park now so they needed their own night time show to compete with F!, fireworks, Illuminations, etc.

I might be going to WDW this summer now (hence why I dont want to watch the video I still want to see it on my own) and I will give it a chance if I do but with lower expectations.
                  You're right! I never really thought about this. (I kind of was thinking that so much went into it already that what's done is done.) But, yeah, if there are weak areas, they can and probably will fix them. Thanks, Fctiger, for bringing that up.

Comment

Originally posted by Pips View Post

You're right! I never really thought about this. (I kind of was thinking that so much went into it already that what's done is done.) But, yeah, if there are weak areas, they can and probably will fix them. Thanks, Fctiger, for bringing that up.
                    No problem!

And yes that is the beauty of a show vs a ride, they can be reworked by adding, subtracting or tweaking anything in it. They do that for a lot of shows so hopefully they are listening and will do just that but I don't suspect any changes for awhile until the show has some sea legs first. But it will happen at some point. I'm just excited AK now has its own night time show. The world feels a bit more complete now.

Comment

We were able to see Rivers of Light during the AP preview in February and it was beautiful. It's not a huge spectacular show with fireworks, etc. so people looking for that type of display will be disappointed. Like Animal Kingdom, the focus is on animals and the floats are gorgeous, the music is great, and we really enjoyed it. Because animals live in the park, a fireworks display and loud, booming music would cause problems for them. Even keeping the park open late at night is probably not the best thing for their health but Disney is working on ways to help the animals adapt. Having said all of that, this is a great addition to AK and we recommend it.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X