This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magical Seasonal Price Gouging ...

This isn't the freshest of news, but I'll post it anyway for the benefit of those who don't read here regularly or don't know.

The WDW Resort (motto: if you want Christmas, you're going to have to pay extra for it, bah humbug) has announced that all buffets will be sticking it to you during this season of giving.

Simply put, the Food and Beverage folks (How's it hanging, Dieter?) are adding a holiday markup of $4 a person for anyone daring to dine during the Thanksgiving Weekend and the two weeks surrounding Christmas and New Year's ... and look for the same come Easter if not Valentine's Day too.

They want to push their profit margins up -- as if $150 rooms at the 'value' resorts aren't enough ... and the extra $45 a head for X-Mas Parties aren't enough ... so you wanna eat, you pay more.

Sure, some apologist is actually going to point out that other restaurants around the country do this, which is correct but besides the point. And those places generally do so just on the holiday and usually offer a special menu too.

This is blatant gouging and it's another reason to not visit WDW over the holiday, if the crazy crowds aren't enough.

The sad thing is what is happening to Disney Dining ... and this is emblematic of it ... so is the 'new' DDP ... the DDE surcharge ... the every four-month price increases ... the fewer choices ... the dumbing down of menus.

Maybe Dieter ain't doing such a good job of exceeding guests expectations, unless you expect to be screwed by a Mouse for the holidays!

Discuss.

Re: Magical Seasonal Price Gouging ...

I would rather WDW have special holiday buffets like they do for mother's day. that way they can charge 45 or 50 bucks a person for something "special" they could hold it at the event's pavilion at epcot and maybe at the contemporary convention center. Don't they do a thanksgiving buffet at DL? I am sure special events can handle something like this. and it wouldn't add cost to the regular buffets. I seem to remember that their was a special dinner show during the holiday season a few years back but unfortunately it was discontinued.
    I also wish they would discontinue or cut back on the christmas parties. For what you get, it's really not worth the money.

Comment

Well I have to say I'm not surprised by this at all. Seasonal hikes and profit taking in the end of a quarter are to be expected in any public company these days.

The truth about ANY theme park not just Disney is that you are paying for a limited ammont of time in the park, it's expensive, and you have to expect to pay more, sometimes much much more, to eat inside the parks. You have the option as some will argue to go run outside and grab lunch/dinner and come back but most people don't want to waste the precious hours leaving, driving, eating, and parking and reentry to save a few bucks on meals. What little you save on the food is a lot less than the cost of the ticket unless your lucky enough to be an AP holder and go all the time.

Bottom line, they have you, they know you don't want to leave the parks, and they see an opportunity to squeeze a few more dollars out of you before you leave. That said most of the Buffet's I have been to at WDW are reasonably priced (for a theme park), the quality is usually good, and its all you can eat. I think most guests will "swallow" the hike without even knowing about it.

I'm kinda Glad we are on the DDP this trip... thats an extra 12$ in savings per buffet above and beyond what we planned on.
      Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

Comment

Originally posted by Cmash95 View Post
        I would rather WDW have special holiday buffets like they do for mother's day. that way they can charge 45 or 50 bucks a person for something "special" they could hold it at the event's pavilion at epcot and maybe at the contemporary convention center. Don't they do a thanksgiving buffet at DL? I am sure special events can handle something like this. and it wouldn't add cost to the regular buffets. I seem to remember that their was a special dinner show during the holiday season a few years back but unfortunately it was discontinued.
        I also wish they would discontinue or cut back on the Christmas parties. For what you get, it's really not worth the money.

Actually they do "Holiday" buffets at both Thanksgiving and Christmas at most of the Buffets.

Thanksgiving: http://www.wdwinfo.com/holidays/Thanksgiving.htm
        Christmas: http://www.wdwinfo.com/holidays/Christmasdining.htm
        Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
        Working...
        X