Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

MiceChat Rules

A list of MiceChat's rules can be found at the top of the Disneyland forum.
2 of 2 < >

Ad Blockers

Please do not use ad blocking software when visiting MiceChat. It costs money to keep MiceChat online, and ad revenue offsets this. Thank you.
See more
See less

Mickey's Not-So-Worth-It Halloween Party

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mickey's Not-So-Worth-It Halloween Party

I was at the Magic Kingdom's Halloween Party last year, and I must say that I am less than impressed by this cash-grab of a party. Here are the low-lights of my night:

1- It is a hard-ticket event, and pretty expensive. The decoration is minimal, a couple of pumpkin characters and bunting on Main Street, and that's all. Disneyland Paris and Tokyo have all-out decorations and Halloween entertainment throughout the park which is included for everyone during regular admission. To enter the party, we were lead to a backstage area of Main Street blasting horrible Top-40 music to get our bags and bracelets. This already broke any immersion and magic for me. Also, some locations, such as the trick-or-treat location at Stich's Great Escape had cut-out bats and spiders made out of foam which I would expect in a daycare, not at a Disney Park.

2 - We entered the MK at 4 pm. I don't know if most Cast Members are not enthusiastic, or they are tired, or they are just not trained. - I can dare to say that 2/3rds of the Cast Members were rude or apathetic at best. There were a couple nice ones (as in, Cast Member standards-ones), but many looked visibly annoyed or tired. The candy they gave out was minimal. We are two adults, and we were given 2 or 3 packs of candy per cast member. Many times we asked for a bit more to fill up our bags a bit more. At the stores, many were clique-ing in a corner, offering assistance only when asked to. I had to call one from across the room to a cash registry at Memento Mori to pay for some merchandise.

3. It's very crowded. We were expecting the crowds to dwindle at 7 PM when the event officially started, but this never really was felt. Many rides had considerable wait times throughout the night (Mine Train was at 40 minutes at its shortest well until closing hours. Space Mountain was down all night, so pretty much closed. Haunted Mansion and Pirates were both at 40 minutes throughout the event. Pictures with characters were unthinkable - over an hour for each character. The only good ones to meet were Brer Fox and Brer Bear... more on this towards the end.

4. It's dirty. This is more the guests' fault, but litter EVERYWHERE. The HM loading and unloading areas had candy wrappers everywhere.

5. Almost no food options. Only one restaurant in Tomorrowland with actual food, the rest was just desserts and popcorn.

6. No pin trading - lanyards were not refreshed for the event. It was obvious that they had the absolute last pins of the day.

7. And my absolute worst point of the night... The Tremaine sisters are my favourite characters and I had always wanted to meet them and get a picture taken with them. They were walking around Fantasyland and they were UNBEARABLE. There were just randomly talking to whoever they wanted and it was impossible to approach them as they had a very annoying and rude cast member around them reminding us "THERE IS NO LINE TO MEET THEM, THEY WILL TALK TO YOU IF THEY WANT TO" while shoving us away. I very politely signaled at them about 5 times throughout the night that I'd like a picture and they actively avoided me, to the point where I called their name while they were facing me, they looked at me, and proceeded to snub me and walk in another direction. I find this is unacceptable. Yes, they are "villains", but they were acting like true meanies. Brer Fox and Brear Bear were also walking characters, and their cast member was super nice and offering everyone to just take pictures with them and making them stop and meet everyone.

All in all, it was a disappointing experience. I was also looking forward to meeting the Haunted Mansion characters, but they spent all night up in the Mansion's gardens (creating congestion) and they never did go down for pictures or anything.

Oh yeah, and no Headless Horseman to be seen. This was also something I looked forward too.
    Last edited by mtlchuck; 10-10-2017, 01:17 PM.

I am sorry you had a bad experience. I went on Halloween night and had a blast. Cast members were awesome and filtering out non party guests. My granny was 91 and had never been during Halloween. They filled her up 2 candy bags where as the rest of us in the family only got one bag. lol! Characters were always nice and had no problem. The headless horseman only comes out in the beginning of the Halloween parade but if the weather isn't permitting or there is a problem with the horse he doesn't come out. It was busy but not unbearable as we thought it might be. The Haunted Mansion characters never come down off the gardens. It is a mini show but you can get your picture taken near the hearse with a hitchhiking ghost. I am sorry you had a bad night. Maybe you hit it in the beginning party days where they had to get the kinks out?

Comment

Originally posted by Timon'sGirl View Post
      I am sorry you had a bad experience. I went on Halloween night and had a blast. Cast members were awesome and filtering out non party guests. My granny was 91 and had never been during Halloween. They filled her up 2 candy bags where as the rest of us in the family only got one bag. lol! Characters were always nice and had no problem. The headless horseman only comes out in the beginning of the Halloween parade but if the weather isn't permitting or there is a problem with the horse he doesn't come out. It was busy but not unbearable as we thought it might be. The Haunted Mansion characters never come down off the gardens. It is a mini show but you can get your picture taken near the hearse with a hitchhiking ghost. I am sorry you had a bad night. Maybe you hit it in the beginning party days where they had to get the kinks out?
      I am happy you had a nice experience. I sadly think I had set my expectations too high - but then again, it's Disney and having been in both US parks and Paris, I think I know what a Disney experience should be like. I think they sadly have just let it run into a cash-grab that can go either fine or mediocre. I guess they are still making the money and people are still coming.

I had seen videos on YouTube of people interacting one-on-one with the HM characters, so that's why I thought they were more interactive characters.

About the headless horseman, the weather was alright, so there must have been any other problem. It was a long weekend Monday, so perhaps they were not prepared for the above-average event crowds.

Comment

Ah I have seen some videos too with the Haunted Mansion characters but the ones I saw was for some private events that they held for certain groups where they came out some even had food tables set up in front of the queue. That never happens to me. lol! Have you tried the Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party? Now that I love more than the Halloween party. I have done that 5 yrs in a row. Last year was our first Halloween party. I love eating all the cookies they give out and drinking the hot chocolate. They only problem I have had with the Christmas parties every year is that they only let so many people in for the Seven Dwarves and for Snow White and her Prince. Those lines are always closed early because people will wait the whole party time just to see them. I usually can see the other princesses and their princes for 15 to 20 min wait. Uncle Scrooge McDuck comes out with some other rare characters that roam too.

Comment

The lines are always long for the characters, as most of them are exclusive to the parties
          Many as a kid (1986-1998)Aug 98- Port OrleansMarch 03- Jr Band Trip (offsite)Aug 03- Port OrleansJan 12-Aug 5, 05- CP (CS)Jan 1-5, 06- AS Sports (Solo Trip)May 24, 06 to Jan 5, 07- CP (CS)Jan 31-Feb 3, 07- offsite (solo trip)March 1-3, 2007- Dad + Me (offsite)May 16-Aug 10, 07- CP (CS)Aug 10-12, 07- GF/P&PMay 21-Aug 15, 08- CP (PC)Aug 15-18, 08- AKLMarch 25-29, 09 (off-site)Aug 10, 09-Jan 2, 10- CP (CS)Jan 3-May 14, 2010- CP (CS)Feb 12-16, 2012: DCL DreamOct 20-27, 2012: DCL Fantasy (East)Sept 8-12, 2013: DCL DreamJan 20-24, 2014: DCL MagicFeb 17/18, 2015 AS Music

Jan 12- Aug 5, 2005- Fantasyland Merchandise
          May 24, 2006 to Jan 5, 2007- Character Attendant
          May 16- Aug 10, 2007- Epcot WS Custodial/Seasonal CA
          May 21- July 5, 2008: Casey's (QSFB); July 6-Aug 15, 2008: character attendant
          Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010: Toy Story Mania
          Jan 3-May 14, 2010: Great Movie Ride
          May 16, 2010~ Fulltime

Comment

I am sorry about your experience. I guess its just with the few hours the party is going on you have to decide carefully what to do. I went last night but couldn't stay the entire time I knew I wanted to get a HM dessert, ride Mansion and experience the live ghosts, see the stage show, parade, and fireworks. I was able to do all of that plus see mickey, do some trick or treat stations, and special photo location. Not sure how I fit all of it in since I had to rush out right after fireworks but I had a blast! I have not been to not so scary since 2005 since my college programs days but have done mickeys Halloween treat on the other coast since that is where I am originally from a few different times. But I enjoyed myself so much! I just wish you did too.

Comment

The thing is, I cannot help at feeling cynical about this event having visited Disneyland Paris on a regular day during Halloween season. Yeah, the fireworks has the regular show, and yeah, there is no special Halloween parade, but the decorations are more prominent, there is still a villain show, and there are rare characters everywhere as well. The candy and the parade did not justify the hard ticket aspect. I guess the same would go for Christmas season - so lesson learned, no more US parks hard-ticket events for me in the future. Money and time best spent elsewhere.

Comment

The hard ticket events are indeed way overpriced. Crowded is an understatement for sure. I have done the WDW Party and the Disneyland party each once. I have no desire to spend the money again and repeat those experiences. Not saying that I didn't have a good time, because I did. However, the cost can be better spent somewhere else on an October trip to a Disney Park.
                BarbaraAnn

Comment

Originally posted by Barbaraann View Post
                  The hard ticket events are indeed way overpriced. Crowded is an understatement for sure. I have done the WDW Party and the Disneyland party each once. I have no desire to spend the money again and repeat those experiences. Not saying that I didn't have a good time, because I did. However, the cost can be better spent somewhere else on an October trip to a Disney Park.
                  Thank you. I read on several sources than one of the advantages of such events were manageable crowds and low wait times for rides given the restricted capacity of the event, but nope, super crowded still.

Comment

Originally posted by mtlchuck View Post

Thank you. I read on several sources than one of the advantages of such events were manageable crowds and low wait times for rides given the restricted capacity of the event, but nope, super crowded still.
                    I read the same thing, and found it to be the total opposite. Especially the WDW Magic Kingdom Party.
                    BarbaraAnn

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X