Question for 1st time visitor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for 1st time visitor

Hello WDW people. I am finally going to WDW for the first time in November. I am going with my wife and three kids (18, 16 & 13). My question is regarding the meal plan. Is it worth it? I am staying on property and were thinking of shipping in some snacks via Amazon Pantry prior to our arrival. Just wanted to get the bast value for our money.

thanks
    "Raiders Suck"
    -Walt Disney

I am not a fan of the dining plan, so I will provide the "con" argument, others can provide the "pro".

It can save you money, but you have to use it to it's fullest, which takes some planning and discipline. You will need to be thinking about what makes best use of the plan instead of what you actually want to eat. I was recently talking to a friend who had a young relative who was a picky eater. They did the dining plan, went to a 2 credit restaurant for dinner, but the relative only wanted to eat mac-n-cheese, this is a total waste of the dining plan. I tend to be a pretty light eater so I may not get desert with dinner or I may already lean towards the cheaper items on the menu, so for me it isn't really worth it. If you Google "Is Dining Plan Worth it" you will find lots of sites that talk about this and some that will actually give you comparisons of what meals would cost with and without the plan.

You even need to be careful of free dining since it usually offered at the same time as room discounts. In this case you can't get both, so sometimes the room discount will actually be worth more then the dining plan.

Comment

Originally posted by danlb_2000 View Post
      I am not a fan of the dining plan, so I will provide the "con" argument, others can provide the "pro".

It can save you money, but you have to use it to it's fullest, which takes some planning and discipline. You will need to be thinking about what makes best use of the plan instead of what you actually want to eat. I was recently talking to a friend who had a young relative who was a picky eater. They did the dining plan, went to a 2 credit restaurant for dinner, but the relative only wanted to eat mac-n-cheese, this is a total waste of the dining plan. I tend to be a pretty light eater so I may not get desert with dinner or I may already lean towards the cheaper items on the menu, so for me it isn't really worth it. If you Google "Is Dining Plan Worth it" you will find lots of sites that talk about this and some that will actually give you comparisons of what meals would cost with and without the plan.

You even need to be careful of free dining since it usually offered at the same time as room discounts. In this case you can't get both, so sometimes the room discount will actually be worth more then the dining plan.
      That's a great help.....Thank you
      "Raiders Suck"
      -Walt Disney

Comment

Daboltz, I've done a lot of research on the meal plans, too. The prior post sums up really well my takeaway from all my research. Seems like the only people who like the meal plans are those who really want their vacation to feel all-inclusive, or those who are traveling with a group where they don't want to haggle over bills or have people worry about what they are ordering. For simply saving money, the plans don't appear to win out so well.

But...with three teenagers, if they're big eaters and very expensive to keep fed, it could minimize stress and you might just about break even.

Comment

When the dining plan first came on the scene, it was worth the cost. Back then it included an entre, and desert and your tip. Over these many years, things have been taken away, and the cost has gone up. Never worth it to me, although I did use it once back in 2007, at the request of the friend I was vacationing with during the Christmas season.
          BarbaraAnn

Comment

I never saw any value in it. I did wring some value out of Tables in Wonderland in years past (with AP discount) but you have to spend a lot to get your money out of it now. It might still be worth it though if you have enough people, are there long enough and/or eat enough large meals (and include valet and the other bits it includes). Otherwise you can probably do just as good or better yourself.

Comment

You have to crunch numbers and see what would fit your eating habits. For my family of five,( two adults, a 17-year-old, a 13-year-old, and an 11-year-old) we found it better not to use it.
              http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
              http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ip-report.html
              http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...something.html

No matter where you go, there you are.

Comment

Having food shipped to your room via Amazon or whatever is such a great idea. It was great to have some snacks, beers, and things like sunblock that we didn't have to pack.

My only suggestion though would be to make sure you don't over buy. Last time we bought too much stuff and by the end of the week we wound up force feeding ourselves or throwing some stuff out.

Comment

Edit: Posted on wrong thread. Sorry.
                  Last edited by Pips; 02-14-2018, 05:58 PM. Reason: Edit: Oops...this is on the wrong thread. Sorry.

Comment

Working...
                  X