Favorites from MGM Days

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorites from MGM Days

So I've just started going to WDW regularly (live in CA, been to DLR a thousand times, now a DVC member so diversifying my trips) and one of the things i've heard in those parts is that DHS can't hold a candle to the old MGM version. Looking online, it just seems like a lot of unremarkable sounding shows are gone and the park is making a slow transition toward ride-based attractions, which seems fine to me. I mostly have been chalking it up to the FL folk not really knowing better having never been to DLR and experiencing a "real" Disney park.**

Having never seen it, I'd love to hear from those of you that have! What were your favorite parts from back then? What rides do you miss most (aside from GMR, which I have been on and really enjoyed)?

**Note: I absolutely love WDW, but it doesn't hold a candle to the charm and fun of Walt's original, even with all the annoying profit-driven changes of recent years.....

I was sad to see yesterday that apparently Walt Disney Studios Park still has catastrophe canyon. I really miss that from my youth.
    WDW - 87, 89, 02, 09, 12, 13, 14
    DL-‘96, ‘97, ‘99, ‘17

Comment

Originally posted by Professor_Cookie View Post
      I was sad to see yesterday that apparently Walt Disney Studios Park still has catastrophe canyon. I really miss that from my youth.
      I'd be surprised if it remains with the expansion they are doing there. It might, but I don't think it's likely.

Back to OP- Disney/ MGM Studios back at the time was an actual working studio. Since you were in California, I'm guessing that you went to the old Universal Studios in Hollywood, back when they actually showed you how the movies were made? MGM had a lot more of that back then, and what little remains is a shadow of what it once was. The tram tour had a decent amount to it- not as good as Universal's, but pretty decent. They had a number of behind the scenes shows, actual stars showing up sometimes, the Great Movie Ride was a really neat ride. and more.

while they are making improvements, for a while the park was in pretty bad shape with far more removed than replaced. What is coming in is a very different type of park. It's changing from a "classic days of Hollywood"/ behind the scenes at the movie studio type of park to a more typical Disney park, and I think that's what many people regret. They most certainly have already experienced a "real" Disney park with Magic Kingdom and Epcot in the same place. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by sirwillow View Post

I'd be surprised if it remains with the expansion they are doing there. It might, but I don't think it's likely.

Back to OP- Disney/ MGM Studios back at the time was an actual working studio. Since you were in California, I'm guessing that you went to the old Universal Studios in Hollywood, back when they actually showed you how the movies were made? MGM had a lot more of that back then, and what little remains is a shadow of what it once was. The tram tour had a decent amount to it- not as good as Universal's, but pretty decent. They had a number of behind the scenes shows, actual stars showing up sometimes, the Great Movie Ride was a really neat ride. and more.
        I have been to Universal and have taken the tram tour many years ago. (Sadly, I just went back a couple months ago only to find they have basically gutted that for lame 3D ride throughs). This is good insight though! I did know that it was working studio and I'm thinking maybe people do miss that element because Universal Orlando never had those things.

i do notice that huge swaths of the park still feel underutilized and in transition with a lot of stopgap attractions. The Launch Bay area in particular comes to mind. I do like where the park is going though (SWGE is a perfect fit there vs what they were forced to do at Disneyland) and I'm hopeful they'll continue in that direction. I'd gamble we see a name change in the next 10 years??

Comment

Several things come to mind. First, the Great Movie Ride was an amazing Disney classic! It is missed. Words can't express. The Animation department was spectacular. The idea was you'd look at animators through windows, as they worked. But the best part was the tour you were led on, via TV monitors. The tour was led by Robin Williams and Walter Cronkite. Funny, and charming. It made the whole attraction. The shows were actually a lot of fun, including the sound show and Superstar TV, which included video effects to put audience volunteers into tv shows. The studio tour, while not as big as Universal's was still fun, and helped fill up the park.
          In the beginning, it took a bit to get the park up on its feet, but once they opened up Sunset Blvd., the park was really holding its own for a while.
          http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
          http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ip-report.html
          http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...something.html

No matter where you go, there you are.

Comment

Working...
          X