X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mt. Fuji

Originally posted by WDW1974 View Post
    OK, I've decided to devote what little online play time I have to anotherdisneyplace.com, but since this thread really has become a turkey (and not the good kind that I'll be feasting on in 2 1/2 hrs) and since many people are 'borrowing' information from me, here's some facts:

1.) Mt. Fuji was a coaster/thrill-ride concept proposed for Japan during Michael Eisner's infamous Disney Decade Where Most Things Didn't Happen (you might want to remember this when reading all of the grandiose plans for DCA!);

2.) The reason it wasn't built had NOTHING (read that again, focus, because some spirits are very tired of reading the same Internet/CM/Disney geek/urban myths presented as fact) to do with Kodak and Fuji film companies. NOTHING. Itcame down to funding and priorities. Mount Fuji is one of the most well-known landmarks in Japan. That is why it was considered as an attraction to begin with. So please dispose of this crazy rumor along with the rumors of Disney building a fifth gate themed to villians ... or the dark spaces in the Swan and Dolphin being removable for monorails ... or the turrets of Cindy's Castle being removable in hurricanes ... or that River Country was closed due to killer bacteria in the water etc ... NO TRUTH TO ANY OF THEM.

3.) Right now there is a MAJOR attraction being worked up for Japan and Joe Rohde has done design/conceptual work on it.

4.) It is NOT the same Mount Fuji concept from the late 80s/early 90s, but IS a large-scale E-Ticket, thrill ride.

5.) It has not 'officially' received the green-light but is considered a shoe-in to do so as Mitsukoshi has offered to put up money, as they have the past few years for the great redos of their department store and dining facilities at EPCOT;

6.) If things progress the way they are, this attraction will be open in the 2011-12 timeframe;

7.) This attraction has nothing to do with the proposed raft ride for Canada, which also is likely to happen (even though some of us think rides that get you wetter than a shower have no place in Disney parks at all);

OK ... glad to have been able to help straighten things out.

Everyone have a great Thanksgiving, but remember you really don't want to have five helpings and wind up looking like the typical WDW guest!
    Sorry - I didn't make my timeline clear. Mount Fuji was originally considered to be in the park at opening. It got very close to being greenlighted. And the reason why was entirely down to Kodak. Take it from someone who was involved in those discussions all those years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by 4 Park Central View Post
      Sorry - I didn't make my timeline clear. Mount Fuji was originally considered to be in the park at opening. It got very close to being greenlighted. And the reason why was entirely down to Kodak. Take it from someone who was involved in those discussions all those years ago.
      I'm sorry, but that's just not what I know to be true at all.

The only attraction ever conceived originally for Japan was the 'Meet The World' carousel theater show that was also at TDL until about 3-4 years ago. That's why the show building was erected.

Mount Fuji as a coaster was never mentioned until the very late 80s timeframe.

The Kodak story is just a bad rumor that makes no sense whatsoever. Perhaps, it was used as an 'excuse' by people in power then (although I've never heard one exec at either WDI or P&R say so).

And I've talked to enough folks at WDI to know what reality is. If you've got some more information I'll be glad to listen, but unless you've got proof I'll stick with what I've been told.

Comment

If I am not mistaken, Mt.Fuji was a Project Gemini design.
        sigpic

Originally posted by Phonedave
        Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

Comment

Originally posted by WDW Monorail View Post
          If I am not mistaken, Mt.Fuji was a Project Gemini design.
          i remember seeing them mentioning plans for mt. fuji (complete with model unveiling) on the 15th anniversary TV special hosted by bea arthur and bettie o' dell. i think i still have a betamax recording of it lying around somewhere. so no, mt fuji was not a project gemini (2002) design.

last time i buy crystal ball from pic n save!

Comment

Correct.

Project Gemini was earlier this decade and featured some very weird ideas (like a rolley coaster outdoors around the Land).

It was designed to add greenery to FW, and take away much of the original walkways/look ... it was then going to be renamed Discoveryland.

Bad concept all around. But it was an extreme makeover for the park ... but mostly just FW.

Comment

Right, right. I thought it was a little earlier though, my mistake.
              I think it also included plans to convert SSE in to a coaster as well...:croll:
              sigpic

Originally posted by Phonedave
              Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

Comment

Why?
                Visit

Click the Banner

Comment

Right, right. I thought it was a little earlier though, my mistake.
                  The infamous Time Chasers rumor.
                  It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

Comment

^^Time Racers ... and, sadly, more than just a rumor.

Thankfully, saner minds ... and the laws of physics prevailed!

Comment

^^Time Racers ... and, sadly, more than just a rumor.

Thankfully, saner minds ... and the laws of physics prevailed!
                      To be fair, going back and forth in time is not any more far-fetched than say... launching into space or some other extreme.
                      Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

Comment

Originally posted by TDR_Fan View Post
                        To be fair, going back and forth in time is not any more far-fetched than say... launching into space or some other extreme.
                        I believe the laws of physics refers to the structure of Spaceship Earth itself, which would not have been able to support the Time Racer concept without collapsing. Just be glad Siemens came in to take back SSE to its former glory.

Comment

Originally posted by yoyoflamingo View Post
                          I believe the laws of physics refers to the structure of Spaceship Earth itself, which would not have been able to support the Time Racer concept without collapsing. Just be glad Siemens came in to take back SSE to its former glory.
                          Thanks for the explanation. My mistake then. :blush:
                          Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

Comment

Hey, if Uni isn't going to give us a time travel ride anymore... :P
                            Anyways - any new news on this Japan Pavillion rumor?

Comment

Originally posted by TheManator View Post
                              Hey, if Uni isn't going to give us a time travel ride anymore... :P
                              Anyways - any new news on this Japan Pavillion rumor?
                              What what I've been told recently, don't expect any concrete details until about this time next year. For the next few months, it will all be different concepts being passed around.

Visit Disney Reporter - Where the Magic Lives
                              (http://www.disneyreporter.net.ms)
                              Four years of magic and still going strong.

Comment

I believe Disney has already decided on the concept for the attraction and is doing nothing but fine-tuning at this juncture.

As to an announcement, who knows?

Disney is already well at work on a timeshare tower at the Contemporary and has yet to publically state one word.

Disney already has at least three attractions in development for the Studios and hasn't announced any ... or the new version of Star Tours for that matter.

That's just the way the Mouse House operates.

Comment

I believe Disney has already decided on the concept for the attraction and is doing nothing but fine-tuning at this juncture.

As to an announcement, who knows?

Disney is already well at work on a timeshare tower at the Contemporary and has yet to publically state one word.

Disney already has at least three attractions in development for the Studios and hasn't announced any ... or the new version of Star Tours for that matter.

That's just the way the Mouse House operates.
                                  Are the three attractions for the studio: Great Movie ride redo, Nightmare Before Christmas, and Pixar wild mouse coaster?

Comment

One most likely is the replacement for Superstar Television, since they are apparently working on something in there.

Comment

Originally posted by yoyoflamingo View Post
                                      One most likely is the replacement for Superstar Television, since they are apparently working on something in there.
                                      Well, one of the theaters (ABC ... I think) is supposedly receiving a new show reusing some of the Millionaire technology.

Visit Disney Reporter - Where the Magic Lives
                                      (http://www.disneyreporter.net.ms)
                                      Four years of magic and still going strong.

Comment

here's another bit about the revived Mt Fuji rumor

http://www.mouseextra.com/2007/11/26...cket/#comments
                                        www.jamboeveryone.com
                                        Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

sigpic

Comment

But why would Mr Rhode be working on this? That makes no sense at all.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X