Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rumour: Space Mountain to Undergo Extensive Refurbishment in 2021

So, I've been unwell today. Lying in bed, scrolling the interweb and I came across this...

Space Mountain to Undergo Extensive Refurbishment in 2021 - https://orlandothemeparkzone.com/202...hment-in-2021/

They're talking about two years long, it would appear the source is from within Disney.

Your thoughts?

This would be wonderful if true. SM is in desperate need of a refurb. I mean a total refurb like DL's SM received before their 50th..ie track replacement/effect upgrade etc. I hope this is true because I love SM.

Comment

Lets hope this is true. Florida's SM needs the love and deserves the attention.​​

Comment

Here's hoping this is true. It definitely needs it. Tracks need to be replaced send special effects upgraded.

Comment

I'm guess I'm one of the 1% (don't know the actual figure, but it seems I'm in the minority) out there that actually prefer the MK version of Space Mountain over the DL version. Reason you ask? It has nothing to do with DL's 'smooth as silk' ride, or it's awesome audio, or even the side by side seating. It has everything to do with the layout. With all the pro's of the DL version, in my opinion, those positives can't make up for the boring layout. From the top of the lift hill, the majority of the ride consists of a straight-away, followed by a sharp (ultra smooth) 180° turn, followed by a straight-away, another sharp (again-ultra smooth) 180° turn, etc, etc. It's also got a few small dips along the way. Yes, it's really fun and the g's in the sharp, banked turns are awesome, but it gets predictable. The original, Magic Kingdom Space Mountain, is anything but predictable. First off, I actually prefer the long, low, single row seating in the rocket. I feel much more vulnerable and even though there are 5 other space travelers with you, there's a feeling of isolation-especially if you're in the front. (I once described riding in the front seat of MK's Space Mountain as riding on a folding chair, strapped to roller skates!) Once you've reached the top of the lift, the track takes turns and dips you don't expect, as well as some negative g's when cresting the top of numerous hills. There are also three, good sized, drops, located in unexpected locations along the route, as well as a fly-by of the lift hill, which is quite thrilling if a rocket is being pulled up as you pass. And let's not forget the "head choppers". At numerous points throughout the ride, the sight of steel supports, right above your head, gives you the feeling that at any moment, the Queen of Hearts is going to yell, "off with their heads". The ride itself, is NOT smooth at this point in it's overall life span. Personally, I don't find it at all painful (as some complain), but just rough enough to actually simulate a blast off in a rocket, from the planet.

So the rumor of an extensive rehab has me both excited and nervous. It's my hope that it would be far cheaper to rip out the track and replace it exactly as is. Currently the ride time is perfect. A new type of coaster might end up being far shorter. In addition to that negative, trying to re-engineer a new ride track in an existing space, would probably add lots of $$'s to the budget, whereas copying the existing layout may possibly streamline the project a bit. Benefits of a brand new (replicated) structure in the mountain would obviously have some huge positives. A new, supporting structure, would alleviate the necessity of the trim brakes that were added a few years ago, providing a wild ride experience we haven't had in years. With todays technology, I'm sure that 'in-rocket' audio would be included in the rebuild, which would also be great. And those complaining of that rough ride....well that would be gone! Any other effects that the budget would allow, would also be a huge plus.

So to the WDI team, if this rumor is based in reality, all I ask, on behalf of fans of the original Space Mountain, is that the current layout is retained. I'd also love the rockets to stay single file seating, but that's just my wish!

(I would hope that IF this is not just rumor, that it would wait until after the 50th celebration is over. A MK without Space Mountain, would be like a Florida rainstorm, without rain)

Comment

Originally posted by dvcsteve View Post
            I'm guess I'm one of the 1% (don't know the actual figure, but it seems I'm in the minority) out there that actually prefer the MK version of Space Mountain over the DL version. Reason you ask? It has nothing to do with DL's 'smooth as silk' ride, or it's awesome audio, or even the side by side seating. It has everything to do with the layout. With all the pro's of the DL version, in my opinion, those positives can't make up for the boring layout. From the top of the lift hill, the majority of the ride consists of a straight-away, followed by a sharp (ultra smooth) 180° turn, followed by a straight-away, another sharp (again-ultra smooth) 180° turn, etc, etc. It's also got a few small dips along the way. Yes, it's really fun and the g's in the sharp, banked turns are awesome, but it gets predictable. The original, Magic Kingdom Space Mountain, is anything but predictable. First off, I actually prefer the long, low, single row seating in the rocket. I feel much more vulnerable and even though there are 5 other space travelers with you, there's a feeling of isolation-especially if you're in the front. (I once described riding in the front seat of MK's Space Mountain as riding on a folding chair, strapped to roller skates!) Once you've reached the top of the lift, the track takes turns and dips you don't expect, as well as some negative g's when cresting the top of numerous hills. There are also three, good sized, drops, located in unexpected locations along the route, as well as a fly-by of the lift hill, which is quite thrilling if a rocket is being pulled up as you pass. And let's not forget the "head choppers". At numerous points throughout the ride, the sight of steel supports, right above your head, gives you the feeling that at any moment, the Queen of Hearts is going to yell, "off with their heads". The ride itself, is NOT smooth at this point in it's overall life span. Personally, I don't find it at all painful (as some complain), but just rough enough to actually simulate a blast off in a rocket, from the planet.

So the rumor of an extensive rehab has me both excited and nervous. It's my hope that it would be far cheaper to rip out the track and replace it exactly as is. Currently the ride time is perfect. A new type of coaster might end up being far shorter. In addition to that negative, trying to re-engineer a new ride track in an existing space, would probably add lots of $$'s to the budget, whereas copying the existing layout may possibly streamline the project a bit. Benefits of a brand new (replicated) structure in the mountain would obviously have some huge positives. A new, supporting structure, would alleviate the necessity of the trim brakes that were added a few years ago, providing a wild ride experience we haven't had in years. With todays technology, I'm sure that 'in-rocket' audio would be included in the rebuild, which would also be great. And those complaining of that rough ride....well that would be gone! Any other effects that the budget would allow, would also be a huge plus.

So to the WDI team, if this rumor is based in reality, all I ask, on behalf of fans of the original Space Mountain, is that the current layout is retained. I'd also love the rockets to stay single file seating, but that's just my wish!

(I would hope that IF this is not just rumor, that it would wait until after the 50th celebration is over. A MK without Space Mountain, would be like a Florida rainstorm, without rain)
            Couldn't have said it better myself. I love WDW's layout so much better than DL's all right turns, small drop then left turn into the reentry tunnel. That being said, the MK version needs a 2005 DL style renovation. Complete track replacement but maintain the same layout and effects upgrade and that's all it needs. It has the aura of being the first SM (something DL fans love to tout when it comes to attraction comparison at both parks)

Comment

Originally posted by N2dru View Post

Couldn't have said it better myself. I love WDW's layout so much better than DL's all right turns, small drop then left turn into the reentry tunnel. That being said, the MK version needs a 2005 DL style renovation. Complete track replacement but maintain the same layout and effects upgrade and that's all it needs. It has the aura of being the first SM (something DL fans love to tout when it comes to attraction comparison at both parks)
              I've only ridden WDW's Space about three time but I felt the same exact way after riding it. I prefer everything our Space has effect-wise but I couldn't help but think if the layout specially was like WDW's it would make for a more exciting coaster.

If they ever updated it at WDW, I wonder if they would keep it two separate tracks still? I would be pretty cool to have two different sides, perhaps one more intense than the other. Just please copy everything from Disneyland except our coaster layout.

Comment

God, I hope they retrack it. Last time I rode it in November 2018, it tweaked my back.

They should also put the speedramp in the post-show back in.
                Disney visits over the years:
                • Disneyland, December 2000 (plus Legoland)
                • Disneyland, Summer 2003 (plus Legoland, SeaWorld, San Diego Zoo, San Diego Model Railroad Museum, and Knott's Berry Farm)
                • Disneyland, December 26, 2004-January 2, 2005 (mom's 40th birthday at Plaza Inn; New Year's at Disneyland)
                • Disneyland, July 2005 (Pre-Disney Cruise visit)
                • Walt Disney World, December 15-25, 2006 (plus Kennedy Space Center)
                • Disneyland, August 2007
                • Disneyland, July 1-4, 2009
                • Disneyland, July 2011 (plus Universal Studios)
                • Disneyland, November 2011 (dad's 50th birthday)
                • Disneyland, June 2013
                • Walt Disney World, July-August 2013 (plus Universal CityWalk)
                • Disneyland, June 7-8 2014
                • Disneyland, December 27-31 2014 (mom's 50th birthday; my tenth visit)
                • Disneyland, Summer 2015 (plus Universal Studios)

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                Working...
                X