Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Haunted Mansion's Omnimover - Is This Decades Old Design in Need of an Overhaul?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haunted Mansion's Omnimover - Is This Decades Old Design in Need of an Overhaul?

With the significant breakdown of the Haunted Mansion's Omnimover ride system, perhaps Imagineering needs to overhaul the entire system? The Omnimover is largely mechanical while newer ride systems position the ride vehicles via computers.

The design has worked for years but maybe some type of improvement to bring it into the 21 century isn't out of the question. Technology has come a long way since the 1960's and I'm sure the HM can benefit from some of those advances. IJS

Comment

While I think having an omnimover type track in place is necessary for the Haunted Mansion specifically, there is no doubt that the system itself could be modernized. Like how a roller coaster has to be completely re-tracked after a certain number of cycles, the system could be completely taken out and replaced with an identical system with slightly modified ride vehicles to limit incidents where the ride must stop for loading/unloading and fewer mechanical parts to limit breakdowns. I am not a ride operator, but as a visitor, I have been stuck on the Haunted Mansion more often than any other ride by a wide margin, including other omnimover attractions, so there is definitely room for improvement.

Comment

I think what needs replacing is the stretching room where you enter. it should feed people through instead of taking 50-75 at a time. Get rid of the slow down. Can't believe I'm saying this because I love it but, it is a major slow down.
        My wife is the rebel spy.

Comment

The omnimover system is one of the best underated ideas from the Walt Era. Rides with this system outrank modern era rides with the ability to cycle more people through the ride and cause less wait time to ride.

I think the system should be kept, but it can be modified with each vehicle allowing more fluid movement, sound and the better ability to tilt at angles

Comment

Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post
            The omnimover system is one of the best underated ideas from the Walt Era. Rides with this system outrank modern era rides with the ability to cycle more people through the ride and cause less wait time to ride.

I think the system should be kept, but it can be modified with each vehicle allowing more fluid movement, sound and the better ability to tilt at angles
            I have always thought it would be amazing if the vehicle could slide and tilt just a little bit.
            These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
            My company had a special night at the park
            WdW trip report with WWoHP
            NYE 2011 trip report
            Mice Chat 7th anniversary
            Leap year 24 hour report
            New DCA trip report
            NYE 2012
            HKDL trip report

Comment

Originally posted by biggsworth View Post

I have always thought it would be amazing if the vehicle could slide and tilt just a little bit.
              The Haunted Mansion is my fav of the park. Love just the look, the feel, the details, and the idea that there are so many stories for all 999 ghosts. With that being said i still love the track but i agree maybe they could update the vehicle with more movement and just the look. But what could the doom buggy be updated to look like? Hmmmmmm
              Hey Disney Fans, come say hi to me on twitter at @blackiepueblo and listen to our free Entertainment Podcast "Studio Alley" http://www.newlineagestudios.com

Comment

Originally posted by Blackie Pueblo View Post

The Haunted Mansion is my fav of the park. Love just the look, the feel, the details, and the idea that there are so many stories for all 999 ghosts. With that being said i still love the track but i agree maybe they could update the vehicle with more movement and just the look. But what could the doom buggy be updated to look like? Hmmmmmm
                Now that is a great idea - if a new ride system for the HM would allow for any ride vehicle configuration, what would be the coolest new doom buggy design?

Comment

I don’t think the ride system itself needs to be changed. Yes it should probably get a significant maintenance overhaul due to its age, but I wouldn’t replace the Omnimover platform itself. If it was inefficient compared to other systems, I doubt WDI would have used it in as new a ride as The Little Mermaid.

While mechanical can suffer from wear and tear issues over time, their simplicity usually equates to a more reliable experience. Trackless, or other computer driven ride systems can have more issues. Software bugs, timing / sync issues or network problems can instantly bring an attraction to a halt, usually with little advanced warning if any.

Don’t get me wrong, I like the rides that use newer tech and the experience they provide, I just don’t see that being needed at HM.
                  Last edited by Mike_M; 06-17-2020, 09:48 AM.
                  Mike_M

Disneyland Trips
                  Walt Disney World
                  Disneyland Paris

1980, 1982, 1984, 1986, 1987, 1989
                  1990, 1992, 1993

2000, 2001, 2006, 2007, 2009
                  2010, 2011, 2014, 2016, 2016, 2017, 2/2019, 11/2019

Comment

I like it exactly as it is. And the stretching rooms prevent people from crowding ahead.

Comment

Huge Mansion fan here and it saddens me every time it breaks down and I can't ride. I love the way the Omnimover is and I too don't think it needs to be changed just updated a little to keep it from breaking down. If I was to change it at all, I would maybe make it a little like the famous Tilt a Whirl like at carnivals. Where the doombuggy spins suddenly very quickly as if the ghosts were messing with your buggy. It could be fun but may distract from viewing things, plus they would have to add things that are usually not seen behind you if the ride were to spin.
                      Hey Disney Fans, come say hi to me on twitter at @blackiepueblo and listen to our free Entertainment Podcast "Studio Alley" http://www.newlineagestudios.com

Comment

I have family who once worked that ride, and she always gawked on about how gross the track was sometimes, especially in the places where the cars turned. I think if Disney was not only going to refurbish the track, but maybe update the ride as a whole, they'd probably wait to make a big change like that. Maybe 70th anniversary? Some areas of the Haunted Mansion should get a tech upgrade for sure!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X