Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do any of U think the MK's current Castle 4-color combo is ugly?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do any of U think the MK's current Castle 4-color combo is ugly?

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2020-10-29 at 10.52.16 PM.png Views:	0 Size:	309.7 KB ID:	8628327
    George Will said that the Golden Age of baseball is whatever took place when you were 13 years old.
    That's probably why I prefer the light blue look of the Magic Kingdom's Cinderella's Castle from the 1970s.

I hate the current combination of:

1. too much ostentatious gold

. . (favored by the campy Liberace & He Who Shall Not Be Named/Mr. {or Ms.} "Look-at-me, I'm SOOOO rich!")

2. with that slightly purple-ish dark blue that replaced the light blue on the turrets that used to blend so beautifully with the Florida skies,

3. ugly pink middle (that replaced the lighter, more subtle shade) &

4. the grey bricks at the bottom. Actually I don't mind the grey.

It's a garish combination -- not nearly as bad as the Birthday Cake Castle -- but I can't stand it.

From what I've read, most of you like it, but if any of you concur with my disgust, please share your thoughts because I feel like I'm alone on this.

From what I've seen, the often-better Oriental Land Company has kept the Tokyo Disneyland castle more attractive.

--Tom Sinsky
    Last edited by jcruise86; 10-30-2020, 12:04 AM.

Personally, I like it, although have not seen it in person yet.

Also keep in mind, that the sun will likely tone down the colors over time.

Comment

Originally posted by danlb_2000 View Post
      Personally, I like it, although have not seen it in person yet.

Also keep in mind, that the sun will likely tone down the colors over time.
      You're right that seeing these things in person is different. I've read that the giant Shanghai Disneyland castle looks better in person. And I was ridiculously annoyed when the Yeti in Everest was turned off instead of repairing the structure soon after it opened, UNTIL I finally rode it & realized that passing that Yeti quickly on a coaster with cool lighting was still impressive, and that spending many millions on that fix might not be the best use of Disney's money.

I don't think a faded dark blue turret on Cinderella's castle will look good. A deliberately faded look is great for buildings in Adventureland, or on the "rocks" in Star Wars land, Big Thunder, or in Radiator Spring Racers, but when Disney is at their best, Imagineers carefully control that look.

The only Disney castles I really like are the classic light blue versions of the Magic Kingdom & Tokyo Disneyland's Cinderella's Castle, and I like Disneyland Paris'---especially at night. The current WDW color scheme reminds me of the cheesy Excalibur castle in Vegas, but with unnecessary gold added. With the salmon, dark blue & grey bricks, it's a gaudy combination. Of course, it's all subjective, but the mostly unpopular Magic Kingdom Birthday Cake Castle shows that there can also be some agreement.
      Last edited by jcruise86; 11-16-2020, 05:09 PM.

Comment

I don’t think it’s necessarily ugly, but I do think it’s too similar to Sleeping Beauty Castle’s color scheme.

Each castle should be allowed to be unique and different. After letting it soak in now, I’d say that using the same base color scheme for both castles doesn’t sit right with me. Sleeping Beauty Castle should have Pink as its base color and Cinderella Castle should have more of a ‘Baby Blue’ base IMO.
        Mike_M

Disneyland Trips
        Walt Disney World
        Disneyland Paris

1980, 1982, 1984, 1986, 1987, 1989
        1990, 1992, 1993

2000, 2001, 2006, 2007, 2009
        2010, 2011, 2014, 2016, 2016, 2017, 2/2019, 11/2019

Comment

It's the pink. It you replaced the pink with a white or gray (like before), it wouldn't look so displeasing to the eye. Hopefully the sun mutes it down a tad.

Comment

The photo of Roy Disney & the castle that was here was deleted, possibly by a company that owned the photo.
            This happens all the time on this {my favorite} Micechat thread "Please post photos of Disneyland's real cats":

https://discuss.micechat.com/forum/d...eal-cats/page5 .]
            Last edited by jcruise86; 11-10-2020, 05:51 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	VinDis-II.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	448.5 KB
ID:	8628524

Comment

Classic!
                Attached Files

Comment

This soon to be finished Hong Kong castle might be interesting, & should at least look spectacular at night:
                  https://www.scmp.com/yp/discover/new...l-dreams-month

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Andy View Post
                    It's the pink. It you replaced the pink with a white or gray (like before), it wouldn't look so displeasing to the eye. Hopefully the sun mutes it down a tad.
                    The sharp pink is throwing the colors off. If the color was more faded to white, it would work better. Possibly 'Champagne Pink', 'Chilean Pink' or 'Pale Dogwood'

Comment

It looks great!!! And you get to look at yours personally and we can only dream of seeing our castle again.
                      "And yes, we implore EVERYBODY to follow the park rules. Having off-ride footage is great, but any still photo's or video's taken ON the coasters at SFMM are strictly against the rules. They are there for your (and everybody's) safety." "Six Flags doesn't allow ANY loose articles on their coasters, and they don't allow video taping on their coasters. " BUT, "​ This is not true. Six Flags does not allow ANY On-Ride video or pictures on the rides. The ONLY way is if you get explicit permission from Park Management." ???

Comment

To me it's just too bright. Same with SB Castle at DL. I like a more muted look. The bright colors look more, IDK, cartoony?
                        "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

Originally posted by jcruise86 View Post
                          This soon to be finished Hong Kong castle might be interesting, & should at least look spectacular at night:
                          https://www.scmp.com/yp/discover/new...l-dreams-month
                          That's very pretty. Their castle used to be a small version of the Sleepy Beauty Castle. I'm glad they're getting their own unique castle. The Cindy and Sleeping Beauty Castles were also better as unique blue and pink castles, respectively.
                          "I wish they all could be California Bears!"

Comment

Originally posted by Stormy View Post
                            To me it's just too bright. Same with SB Castle at DL. I like a more muted look. The bright colors look more, IDK, cartoony?
                            I couldn't agree more. The same over-saturated pinks and blues are commonly used on toy packaging -- especially Disney Princess toys. The domestic castles' color schemes, sadly, are visual proof of WDI "going with the flow" of what Disney's marketing-dominated management likes.

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                            it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                            together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                            designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                            - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                            - Bob Chapek

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X