Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travel to Parks from Pop Culture?

Hi all-so, we normally go to DLand are really really good maximizing our time there...but, doesn't look like that will happen for us this year, so 1st trip to D World 1st week in April we are thinking! But this is a TOTALLY different beast for sure. Good friends with a gal that goes to DW every year, so in talking to her we have our lands picked out (Magic King, Holly. Stud, & Animal King). Park days will be M-F, and planning on hitting MK & HS twice in those 5 days, 1 park 1 day. I think we will be staying at the Pop Culture. So, here is my question. When we go to disneyland, we stay at the PP and get early entry every day. We just walk and show up at the gate like 1 hour early (yeah, the wife makes it her goal to be 1st in line at the rope drop!) and we are good to go. Its easy as we can dictate our time and walk.

I know this isn't so at DW, so what is the best way to get to our desired park early enough in the am? It looks like the skyliner will go to hollywood studios from the PC (which is why she wants to stay there as opposed to the All Star Movies place as they don't have the skyliner), so assuming we just plan to be at the skyliner a few minutes before they fire up and we should get to HS plenty early? And the bigger question we have is how to get to MK and AK early from the pop culture. It looks like the hotel has bus transportation, but i'm thinking they will stop at various other hotels, pick up guests, and then stop at other parks first, on and on, and we won't get to the park early enough if that makes sense (yes, we are a total "go for it" couple. We DEFINITELY get our steps in when we go and have a blast!!) So, if using their bus won't get us at the gate early enough, are there other better options? (no, we are not planning on renting a car). Or, if the bus will definitely get us there in plenty of time, then we are good to go! I know at DL there are plenty of fams that show up 5 min before opening and are fine with waiting in a huge line to get in, but that isn't us (and i'm thinking it will help that we are staying a DW hotel as we get the extra 30 minute entry i believe).

Thanks all for any help/advice/guidance. This is a little overwhelming for sure, as when we go to DL we are kind of on autopilot and everything goes relatively smooth and easy. But, we are definitely looking forward to something new even though its going to take some research and planning

Most busses at WDW run directly - when you get to the park you'll see that each resort has its own bus station. Getting to the parks at or before opening is strongly recommended as you will get more stuff done at the start of the day and the end of the day than in the middle of the day.

My recommendation to you is to adjust your expectations about what a good WDW vacation entails vs a good DL vacation. At DL the parks are the centerpiece of everything and the hotels and "resort complex" are just kinda there to support those. At WDW the parks are generally less important - they have fewer and usually inferior versions of the rides you are familiar with. What WDW has that no other Disney resort does is a wide open property and lots of stuff to do outside of the parks. In my opinion boating on Seven Seas Lagoon, exploring Wilderness Lodge, and having a series of nice dinners at the various hotels is WAY more important to the WDW experience than our relatively crude Space Mountain.

This is nowhere more apparent than at World Showcase, which has almost no attractions but is beloved for its laid back atmosphere and meandering shops and gardens. Even if you skip a full EPCOT day, do not skip World Showcase - you can take a boat there from Hollywood Studios to park hop, wander about, see the American Adventure, get a drink and chill.

You may want to join WDWMagic, which is a forum much more centered on WDW Planning.

Comment

Originally posted by 66stang View Post
      Hi all-so, we normally go to DLand are really really good maximizing our time there...but, doesn't look like that will happen for us this year, so 1st trip to D World 1st week in April we are thinking! But this is a TOTALLY different beast for sure. Good friends with a gal that goes to DW every year, so in talking to her we have our lands picked out (Magic King, Holly. Stud, & Animal King). Park days will be M-F, and planning on hitting MK & HS twice in those 5 days, 1 park 1 day. I think we will be staying at the Pop Culture. So, here is my question. When we go to disneyland, we stay at the PP and get early entry every day. We just walk and show up at the gate like 1 hour early (yeah, the wife makes it her goal to be 1st in line at the rope drop!) and we are good to go. Its easy as we can dictate our time and walk.

I know this isn't so at DW, so what is the best way to get to our desired park early enough in the am? It looks like the skyliner will go to hollywood studios from the PC (which is why she wants to stay there as opposed to the All Star Movies place as they don't have the skyliner), so assuming we just plan to be at the skyliner a few minutes before they fire up and we should get to HS plenty early? And the bigger question we have is how to get to MK and AK early from the pop culture. It looks like the hotel has bus transportation, but i'm thinking they will stop at various other hotels, pick up guests, and then stop at other parks first, on and on, and we won't get to the park early enough if that makes sense (yes, we are a total "go for it" couple. We DEFINITELY get our steps in when we go and have a blast!!) So, if using their bus won't get us at the gate early enough, are there other better options? (no, we are not planning on renting a car). Or, if the bus will definitely get us there in plenty of time, then we are good to go! I know at DL there are plenty of fams that show up 5 min before opening and are fine with waiting in a huge line to get in, but that isn't us (and i'm thinking it will help that we are staying a DW hotel as we get the extra 30 minute entry i believe).

Thanks all for any help/advice/guidance. This is a little overwhelming for sure, as when we go to DL we are kind of on autopilot and everything goes relatively smooth and easy. But, we are definitely looking forward to something new even though its going to take some research and planning

For Hollywood Studios and Epcot I would definitely use the Skyliner. Busses still do run from Pop Century to those parks, but they run less often now that Skyliner is available. First thing in the morning you should be able to get from Pop to DHS in less then 15 minutes via the Skyliner.

You are definitely going to want to be patient and flexible with this trip. As you saw WDW is a lot different then DL, and the pandemic has made things even more complicated, and things tend to change from week to week now. I would not expect any significant changes to the COVID restrictions by the time you go. Be aware that you need to make park reservations and there are significant limits on park hopping.

As for things to do, I would recommend doing Animal Kingdom and Epoct since these are the parks that are the most different from DL. DHS and MK has lots of duplication from DL, even more so now that shows, parades and fireworks are not running.

Comment

Originally posted by FoxxFur View Post
        Most busses at WDW run directly - when you get to the park you'll see that each resort has its own bus station. Getting to the parks at or before opening is strongly recommended as you will get more stuff done at the start of the day and the end of the day than in the middle of the day.

My recommendation to you is to adjust your expectations about what a good WDW vacation entails vs a good DL vacation. At DL the parks are the centerpiece of everything and the hotels and "resort complex" are just kinda there to support those. At WDW the parks are generally less important - they have fewer and usually inferior versions of the rides you are familiar with. What WDW has that no other Disney resort does is a wide open property and lots of stuff to do outside of the parks. In my opinion boating on Seven Seas Lagoon, exploring Wilderness Lodge, and having a series of nice dinners at the various hotels is WAY more important to the WDW experience than our relatively crude Space Mountain.

This is nowhere more apparent than at World Showcase, which has almost no attractions but is beloved for its laid back atmosphere and meandering shops and gardens. Even if you skip a full EPCOT day, do not skip World Showcase - you can take a boat there from Hollywood Studios to park hop, wander about, see the American Adventure, get a drink and chill . . . .
        Good post!

Renting the little speed boat on the Seven Seas Lagoon was the most fun we had in our last trip to Walt Disney World.
        And I'd add eating at & exploring the Animal Kingdom Lodge to the Wilderness Lodge.
        Also, most attractions in the Animal Kingdom can only be found in that excellent park,
        and The Magic Kingdom has a better Tomorrowland than Disneyland's, with is Peoplemover and Carousel of Progress.
        They should open the Tron coaster ASAP.
        The Haunted Mansion & Splash Mountain are better in the Magic Kingdom than at Disneyland,
        and I'm one of those people who loves the Hall of Presidents.
        I think the Magic Kingdom's castle is much more beautiful too, though I hate the current garish color scheme of purple, Liberace gold & ugly pink.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
        Working...
        X