Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disney World Or ‘Westworld’? Theme Park’s Robot Plans Have People Freaked

Disney World Or ‘Westworld’? Theme Park’s Robot Plans Have People Freaked.

HuffPost
    August 19. 2021

A viral New York Times headline published Wednesday asked, “Are You Ready for Sentient Disney Robots?”

Based on Twitter, the answer so far seems to be “Absolutely not.”

The Walt Disney Co. is in the process of developing hyper-realistic, free-roaming robot versions of beloved characters to populate the grounds of its parks. Labeling them “sentient” may be jumping the gun a little bit, as the idea of robot sentience is, to put it mildly, complicated. But the creations are slated to have “cameras and sensors” that let them “make on-the-fly choices about what to do and say,” the Times reported.

The Times also described an existing 3-foot-tall robotic Groot that can respond to a person’s actions and demeanor.

But while Disney executives see the bots as a way to intrigue younger generations and “stay relevant,” some people were more apt to see them as abjectly terrifying.

On Twitter, a lot of jokes were made about “Westworld,” the HBO series (based on the 1973 Michael Crichton movie) about a “Wild West” theme park filled with androids that are impossible to distinguish from human beings. (Without delving into too many spoilers, it turns out that park wasn’t a great idea.) Some also referenced “The Simpsons” episode “Itchy and Scratchy Land,” which involves a robot uprising at a theme park. (That episode was also partially based on Crichton’s “Westworld.”)

In any case, if the thought of a corporate theme park populated by humanoid robots that may or may not become increasingly self-aware fills you with dread, try to shake it off by reading some funny tweets about it.

to quote from a famous movie where this idea did not go sideways at all: “Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn’t stop to think if they should.” https://t.co/c6MpoMfsk8
    — shauna (@goldengateblond) August 19, 2021

Everyone’s saying it’s gonna be a Westworld. More like Itchy & Scratchy Land https://t.co/7shGcZr8Rv pic.twitter.com/Sq0TxyX98c
    — Ekwensu Ocha 😈 (@ExtrFreeBurner) August 19, 2021

Bob Chapek loves Westworld, but he also only watched the first ten minutes of the first episode. https://t.co/njcdDXGIHP
    — Josh Spiegel (@mousterpiece) August 19, 2021

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
    it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
    together with every variety of recreation and fun,
    designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
    - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
    - Bob Chapek

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

Bob Chapek loves Westworld, but he also only watched the first ten minutes of the first episode. https://t.co/njcdDXGIHP
    — Josh Spiegel (@mousterpiece) August 19, 2021

Yes!

The only robots I want to see at a Disney park are these fellows.

Last edited by Brian PieGuy; 08-20-2021, 11:03 AM.
    Brian the Pooh

Comment

As for the Itchy and Scratchy reference, it does seem Disney is drifting towards self-parody between this move and charging for everything.
      Brian the Pooh

Comment

As protected as costumed characters are by CM's as the make their appearances through the parks I can only assume that these "robots" will have a slew of CM's around them too. A 3' baby Groot? I would be tempted to pick him up and run for the gate!
        My wife is the rebel spy.

Comment

^^^That and "just messin' with 'em" type of teenager action is probably why Disney won't be able to have this last long. If you do catch a glimpse of one, count yourself lucky because they'll be broken down and part of yesterland sooner than we know it.

You made me laugh Darth Scottie..., they'll be for sale somewhere.

Comment

Maybe, they are just going on the trend. If you would follow the news, robots are being massively produced for inventory purposes of big companies They are actually trying their best to reduce man labor.

Comment

Robots in disney were introduced way back 1960s and being called as Audio-Animatronics. Now, there are into Artificial Intelligence offering from Evolv technology.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Scottie View Post
                As protected as costumed characters are by CM's as the make their appearances through the parks I can only assume that these "robots" will have a slew of CM's around them too. A 3' baby Groot? I would be tempted to pick him up and run for the gate!
                After the great Buzzy caper, an animatronic that is so heavy but somehow got hacked and snatched from the Wonders of Life Pavillion...

Yeah, I can see a bunch of Baby Groot thefts in our future.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                Working...
                X