Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Enchantment" Firework Show Review

So I watched the live stream for Enchantment this evening. It was very underwhelming, especially for Disney World's 50th Anniversary. It felt soulless, and lacking story? I thought I was being too hard on it though, so I checked social media to see what others thought... and to my relief, I wasn't alone. In fact, it appears the majority of people would prefer Disney World just revert back to Happily Ever After.

What happened? Disney was so thoughtful with their firework shows before Mickey's Mix Magic and now Enchantment, and it seems like they've fallen off.

My theory: budget cuts. Projections are cheaper. They must have thrown 100 different characters on the castle during the show - kind of reminded me of the bubble sequence at HS Fantasmic! I thought the music was good, but you would think they would come up with a show that celebrated the 50th anniversary - seemed like a Spotify playlist. And then there was Harmonius, the first 10 minutes of which were a disaster. The last few minutes were decent, but I was left feeling confused.

Comment

Originally posted by pjhorton21 View Post
      My theory: budget cuts. Projections are cheaper. They must have thrown 100 different characters on the castle during the show - kind of reminded me of the bubble sequence at HS Fantasmic! I thought the music was good, but you would think they would come up with a show that celebrated the 50th anniversary - seemed like a Spotify playlist. And then there was Harmonius, the first 10 minutes of which were a disaster. The last few minutes were decent, but I was left feeling confused.
      I can't help but compare it to "Remember... Dreams Come True," which still to this day doesn't fail to make me emotional. That firework show does a wonderful job of celebrating Disneyland's history, and Walt Disney himself. That sense of memory is totally lost in Enchantment. In fact, it feels like a very average firework show, not necessarily a 'celebration,' which WDW deserves. It's pretty rich with history.

It's a big shame.

Comment

I saw the Disney post about this on Instagram and the comments were very telling about 95% negative with a portion of the comments asking for Cheapark to step down and or be fired.
        Disneyland Fan since the 70's

Comment

I haven't seen it (or Harmonious) yet because I do plan to eventually see them in person, but I'm reading all the reactions, and it's kind of fascinating to me, because they just (relatively speaking) made EPCOT Forever. I don't know what the general opinion of that was, but it seems like that's essentially (or at least closer to) what people wanted and expected for the 50th. Little Walt voice clips, interjecting well known lines (okay, lines they wish were well known. No Nigel Channing lines are actually well known), a montage of songs that're actually from the thing being celebrated. The ideas are there. They understood the concept of celebrating a park and it's past.

So they really should've known better. It's so weird, I want to roll my eyes at them just using the thing to advertise current popular stuff (like the statues), but they left out tons and tons of popular stuff that would've actually been relevant, do I don't even know what the logic could have been.

​​​​​​

Also, someone please explain to me why Moana is everywhere. The majority of this, the largest part of Magic Happens, a notable segment in Happily Ever After, Harmonious, her own attraction in Epcot, and a retheming of the Polynesian? That's a lot, considering she's only been around five years. I was under the impression her movie did fine but not that well, and she seems to have integrated into the Princess line (unlike Anna and Elsa) so I presume she doesn't sell an unusually large amount on her own. I seriously don't understand.

​​​
          Last edited by Lights; 10-01-2021, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Starcade View Post
            I saw the Disney post about this on Instagram and the comments were very telling about 95% negative with a portion of the comments asking for Cheapark to step down and or be fired.
            I for one for that .........I feel he really hurt Disney......and really drag the name to the ground !
            IMO
            Last edited by Eagleman; 10-01-2021, 08:26 PM.
            Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Andy View Post

I can't help but compare it to "Remember... Dreams Come True," which still to this day doesn't fail to make me emotional. That firework show does a wonderful job of celebrating Disneyland's history, and Walt Disney himself. That sense of memory is totally lost in Enchantment. In fact, it feels like a very average firework show, not necessarily a 'celebration,' which WDW deserves. It's pretty rich with history.

It's a big shame.
              I feel Walt Disney World , made there own history ........from Disneyland
              and it was great start , after Walt Disney .....Thanks to his Brother......Roy
              Worth the Celebration.....

Sad...During there 50th
              Disney today have - CEO Cut Back Bob !
              IMO
              Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Seemed more like a brand marketing presentation than an anniversary celebration for Walt Disney World. The "Remember" Disneyland 50th fireworks with Julie Andrews really hit it out of the park.

Where was Walt? Where was Tinker Bell's flight?

Why the off-point empowerment messaging? "YOU are the Magic." If we're the magic why do we need Disney?

Comment

(I deleted a post I shared from Disney World Junkies about this that someone claimed was fake.)
                  Last edited by jcruise86; 10-03-2021, 10:26 AM.

Comment

In related news, the kite show has had problems:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/new...BingNewsSearch
                    Last edited by jcruise86; 10-03-2021, 11:42 AM.

Comment

[removed]

Comment

I was in Orlando last week so I could be there on 10/1. When I have time, I will write about it, but here's video I recorded of Enchantment on 10/1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtzT4g8SOCs

Tinker Bell did fly at the end of the show.

I'm going to redo the video one more time. I'm going to use my original video, but reduce my audio to about 10 percent and add the Disney live stream video at about 90 percent. That should preserve just a tiny bit of the "live" quality while making the overall sound much better.

I also have the second to last showing of Happily Ever After and the unofficial premiere of Harmonious. They are also on the MC YT channel.

I can't believe that Disney messed up the exposure so badly on their live stream. It just boggles my mind that they didn't test things first.

ETA: The view you see was not done with any help from Disney or any special media access. That was me in the middle of the crowd using every bit of my years' experience doing this. Yes, I know there's ego here, but you just have no idea what it takes to get a recording like this surrounded by hundreds of people that don't care that you are there to film.

ETA2: I do know that some portions of the castle are overexposed. That's a compromise that you have to make. If you switch to manual exposure to limit the castle brightness what happens is that some of the castle scenes are underexposed, and almost all of the fireworks are way, way overexposed. By letting the camera set the exposure according to conditions you get most of the castle exposed correctly and most of the fireworks.

ETA3: I promise I will stop after this. I have searched YT far and wide for good video of the fireworks shows at both WDW and DL. Good videos are extremely rare, if they exist at all. I'm beyond happy that I could record these videos and share them with those that want to watch. They are some of the best that you can find, and they will hopefully be on the internet forever so someone can watch 20 years from now and know what the show was really like.

Comment

Wonderful footage, PhotoMatt! While I still have my qualms regarding the “story” and wish that they focused on some nostalgic aspects of MK, you have softened my feelings towards Enchantment slightly. Maybe next time they should hire the MC team for their stuff. 😜

Comment

Thank you for the compliment.

It's OK to not be a fan of Enchantment. After watching both Happily Ever After and Enchantment ad nauseum while I was editing, I have to say that HEA is much better. No, neither show has even a shred of a story, but HEA has much better music overall. I do like the music that bookends Enchantment, but the rest just falls flat. Most of the music they chose is boring and uninspiring.

Some of the projections in Enchantment are really pretty. I will admit that. They bring out the iridescent paint scheme really well, but overall HEA wins. There's really no question there.

Comment

Saw Enchantment and liked it. The first act is weak, but the second two are pretty strong. I also was impressed by the new fireworks they've invented, along with length of the show (16 minutes!). I have yet to see Harmonious, but plan to do so when I fly back in November.

I should caveat that HEA was always a "just okay" show for me and I never really stopped to watch it after seeing it once. I would rewatch Enchantment. It's definitely not the travesty all the bloggers and sensationalists on social media will have you believe. I understand having preferences for certain shows (and PhotoMatt certainly has his), which is okay! What's not okay is the irrational sense of attachment to a fireworks show that's only been around for 4 years or so. Time marches on, folks.

Comment

Why Enchantment doesn't telling about the park or resort their celebrate, similar to Disneyland does for their 50th? I believe there are plans to adding water fountains to the MK's cinderella castle for their upcoming fireworks show, where the firework itself supposedly focused on park or classic movies related to them, not recent Disney films. But these plans were scrapped.

Comment

I skimmed through a video to get a feel for it and here's my takeaway.

Aside from the melodramatic narration, what stood out to me the most was that the show is essentially the latest installment in the "clip show" format Disney has embraced for years, including Disneyland Forever. Arguably, the clip show format can be traced to the mist screen potions of Fantasmic (1992), but I think what makes Fantasmic work better than Disney's recent outings is that A. Fantasmic embraced lesser known clips (True Life Adventures, obscure Fantasia segments) and B. had a very unique musical arrangement (hard rock Pink Elephants, Fantasmic leitmotif incorporated throughout). This gave the show a theatrical quality and elevated what was essentially recycled animation into a unique experience. Many of Disney's recent projection shows, however, don't feel like they were made by a theatrical team, but rather designed in board room, down to the same movie clips and generic (albeit well made) covers of the same songs used in different shows. I think the tepid response to Enchantment is largely because audiences are catching on to the formula and growing weary of this copy-and-paste style.

Like others, I would have much preferred a show celebrating Walt Disney World history, which seems like a no-brainer given the resort's rich musical history. Even if executives insisted on movie music, I would have liked a focus on movies represented in the parks. Regardless, I'm sure the fireworks show looks nice in person and I look forward to getting around to seeing it, but I look forward even more to Disney's eventual "fireworks renaissance".
                                  Brian the Pooh

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                  Working...
                                  X