Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Victoria & Albert's bans children under 10 (Merged)

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NapaRoseBarfly
    replied
    Re: Victoria & Albert's bans children under 10 (Merged)

I wish NR would do the same (being that we go there all the time). Most of the kids we see are well-behaved, but there are times...

As for someone's suggestion of 'get rid of the over-the-top adult drunks,' well, all I can say is we never would have had the pleasure of watching William Shatner on June 30, 2006 under full sail, getting his dinner-party-groove on. It was dinner and a show, literally. We've seen so many celebrities there (particularly around the NAMM show in January) it would be a shame to dampen the fun!

NRBF

Leave a comment:

• nbodyhome
    replied

Originally posted by geoffa View Post
    I think Pixie chick is spot on. One or two adult only restaurants isn't going to hurt anybodyand a "curfew" after 9 p.m. isn't too bad an idea. After all, on the Disney Cruise ships - they have kids only areas (with child carers), family area and adults only and it all works even on Castaway cay.
    That has been a wish of a lot of people online for a long time, having a curfew at some restaurants. I would say DEFINITELY for the CA Grill. Maybe for others as well.

Leave a comment:

• geoffa
    replied

I think Pixie chick is spot on. One or two adult only restaurants isn't going to hurt anybodyand a "curfew" after 9 p.m. isn't too bad an idea. After all, on the Disney Cruise ships - they have kids only areas (with child carers), family area and adults only and it all works even on Castaway cay.

Leave a comment:

• pixie chick
    replied

After seeing this at first, I was a bit upset. We have taken Pixie Kid (just turned 7) to numerous restaurants, both casual and upscale, and have taught him how to behave at the table. For parents like us, it's kind of a bummer to not be able to do this if we so choose.

However, reading through (and remembering our excrutiatingly insane experience at The Coral Reef complete with kids STANDING on the tables screaming), I think this was a good move on their part. We can wait until he's at least 10 for some experiences. It will only make it that more special.

I wouldn't like to see many more restaurants go this way, except for maybe as some have suggested a "curfew" of sorts. Perhaps not seating parties with children after 8:00/8:30pm at some of the upscale restaurants would be better.

Leave a comment:

• NatdRat
    replied
    Re: Disney World bans young kids from fanciest restaurant

I've always been under the impression that kids were never welcomed at V&A. This just re-enforces it.
    Last edited by NatdRat; 01-09-2008, 07:44 AM. Reason: Thread merge

Leave a comment:

• SorcererMickey
    replied
    Re: Victoria & Albert's bans children under 10

I went when I was 18 and back then the restaurant was iffy on letting my 14 year old brother dine there. I think it is a wonderful idea. If people want to pay that amount of $$ for an upscale dining experience they don't want to have children getting antsy and cranky at the next table over.

Leave a comment:

• Sorcerer's Apprentice
    replied
    Disney World bans young kids from fanciest restaurant

Is this right?

ORLANDO, Florida (AP) -- The home of Mickey Mouse, Tigger and Tinkerbell has banned kids from its fanciest restaurant.
    Beginning this week, children under 10 are no longer welcome at Victoria & Albert's in the Grand Floridian Resort & Spa. Victoria & Albert's is Walt Disney World's only restaurant with an AAA five-diamond rating.
    "We want to be the restaurant that's available for that adult experience," said general manager Israel Perez.

Only about three families a month ever brought young children to Victoria & Albert's, said Rosemary Rose, Disney's vice president for food, beverage and merchandise operations.
    Men are required to wear jackets, and women must wear dresses or pantsuits. The hushed atmosphere features live harp music, and the menu, which changes daily, offers seven-course dinners that can last as long as three hours. Prices start at $125 a person.
    Rose noted that there are plenty of dining options for families at Disney World, which has 97 other full-service restaurants.

Source

Leave a comment:

• Phonedave
    replied

Originally posted by MagicKingdomBoy View Post
    This story made the news in Los Angeles. I heard it on the radio. According to the reporter, that restaurant starts at $125 per person, and they usually only got a few children a year in the first place. What a restaurant that must be! I can imagine that way, way back in the old days, when the rule was that children are to be seen and not heard (and only the upper class could dine in such style,) it was probably charming to see well behaved, silent children. But according to my grandmother, who remembered that era, sitting at the table wasn't very fun for kids at all.

Not to mention that V&A's is a long service. It is a 7 course meal. It takes a lot for a kid to sit through that.

I have a 6 and 9 year old. Thinking back on what was on the menu when I ate at V&A's, I can say my 6 year old would have liked nothing. My 9 year old would have liked a number of the courses, but would not necessarly have appreciated the quality/rarity (and cost) of the items.

I don't think I would take her in there when she is 10 either. 16 maybe, it depends on the kid, their tastes, and past experence. There are some 18+ people that I know that I would not take to V&A's

-dave

Leave a comment:

• nbodyhome
    replied

Originally posted by WDW Monorail View Post
    There are about 370 food service locations in WDW with 97 full service restaurants.
    Does that include popcorn stands and such? I know I remember a number in the 150 - 170 range including counter service, though that may have grown (I'd expect the 370 to include the freestanding areas too).

Either way, there are a LOT of choices. V&A is one choice out of many. And they don't restrict all kids, just 9 and under.

Leave a comment:

• Lindawdwtravel
    replied

Originally posted by groovyprincessred View Post
    I certainly agree with this. I love kids but there is a time and place for kids. Adults need their own special time. Is there a place where only the kids can go while the parents are dining? Other than the resort babysitting!
    Absolutely. They have places where the children can be dropped off as early as 4PM and can stay until midnight. They are given dinner, do arts & crafts, shown Disney movies, etc., all supervised. I can remember working at DRC and talking with a woman on the phone and she said her kids asked if they were going to "their nightclub" again. The kids, once they have been there love it. There is a fee for this and arrangements can be made through the Disney Dine line...

Leave a comment:

• MsSarah
    replied

I can't say this is a bad thing

Leave a comment:

• JohnZ46
    replied

This is actually an act of kindness for children.

For most 9 yo, having to spend 3 hours at a stuffy restaurant while at WDW would be a form of torture. If I'm taking kids to WDW, I want them to have fun.

Leave a comment:

• geoffa
    replied

Originally posted by MagicKingdomBoy View Post
    According to the reporter, that restaurant starts at $125 per person.
    And they are totally correct. It's $60 for wine pairing too. Prices have risen quite a bit since we dined there. Still, it is nice to have a meal without kids throwing tantrums or Moms screaming at them. And, yes, I have NO kids.

Leave a comment:

• wolfy
    replied

I think this is such a good policy. Now if Napa Rose at DLR and California Grill at WDW would do the same. I've never taken Wolfette to a restaurant of this caliber and never will, at least not until she is of the age to appreciate a nice dining experience and not be bored to tears during a 2-3 dinner.

Leave a comment:

• WDW Monorail
    replied

There are about 370 food service locations in WDW with 97 full service restaurants.

Leave a comment:

• PrincessY
    replied

Originally posted by tayakaleb View Post
    I agree with this but would not want there to be to many more restaurants doing this at WDW. The majority of people on family vacations do not bring someone they can leave their kids with or will not leave them with hotel programs.
    Yes, but there are SO many options to eat at at WDW that DO allow children (all the rest). And as someone pointed out, there are just as many childless people visiting WDW as there are people with children. A few more adult only options would be nice - something in a more everyday price range.

Leave a comment:

• tayakaleb
    replied

I agree with this but would not want there to be to many more restaurants doing this at WDW. The majority of people on family vacations do not bring someone they can leave their kids with or will not leave them with hotel programs. However, we just traveled to WDW with all of my husband's family and it would be a nice treat to leave the kids with grandma and grandpa and go our for a nice "adult" meal.

Leave a comment:

• MagicKingdomBoy
    replied

Originally posted by AlohaStitch View Post
    While we're at it...can the Napa Rose kick out the adult drunks as well. While I enjoy a good glass of wine now and then, the last few times I was there the number of people that were over-the-top (meaning disgustingly and obnoxiously) drunk was amazing. To the point that it's no longer worth going.
    Really? I've seen people buzzed there...been buzzed there myself, but I've never seen anyone to the point of being disturbing or bothersome to others. As with anywhere, I'm sure it's happened, but "the last FEW times...to the point it's not worth it"? That is so inconsistent with my experiences there, it's hard to believe. When it has happened, I hope you have told the manager on duty about it. They want the guests to have a great time, enjoy great food and wine. But if someone is disgustingly and obnoxiously drunk, I think the staff would be quick to do something about it. And if you tell them, I know they will take it seriously.

But, I'm also cool with kids as long as they are really well behaved. In fact, the kids I've witnessed at the Napa Rose were normally MUCH better behaved than a lot of adults. :thumbup:
    I have seen very well behaved children at Napa Rose.

Leave a comment:

• Tea
    replied

I have kids (both over 10 now) but am totally for this policy. I hate having any meals out ruined by misbehaving children at any price anywhere!

Leave a comment:

• TDR_Fan
    replied

Originally posted by AlohaStitch View Post
    the kids I've witnessed at the Napa Rose were normally MUCH better behaved than a lot of adults. :thumbup:
    Same here. I know several people with kids that enjoy table service restaurant experiences very much and behave exceptionally well. They always had no trouble with the laid back and classy atmosphere of some of the fancier restaurants.

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X