• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Viking16
    Confused One
    • Oct 2006

Wheelchairs

Hey all,

I need some help here my soon to be wife (marcy) has a small problem every once and while her feet hurt to so bad she can't walk (I forget what's called has something to do with her toes.). Well the problem is what can she do at Disneyworld if this happens? SO I called AAA (thats who we booked our trip through) and they said it would cost 35 bucks a day and there is a 500 dollar deposit. 500 BUCKS OWCH. I thanked our agent and since we are strapped for cash I am trying to think of a plan B. Any help would be great.

Also if her foot does act up and we have to spend the 500 for one (well 535) does that cover you to take the chair all over the disney property like different parks?

If you all have any idea's for plan B please help I would hate for marcy's first trip to disneyworld be with her not being able to walk and see everything.
  • nbodyhome
    Little Miss Sunshine
    • Dec 2005

Re: Wheelchairs

Originally posted by Viking16 View Post
    Hey all,

I need some help here my soon to be wife (marcy) has a small problem every once and while her feet hurt to so bad she can't walk (I forget what's called has something to do with her toes.). Well the problem is what can she do at Disneyworld if this happens? SO I called AAA (thats who we booked our trip through) and they said it would cost 35 bucks a day and there is a 500 dollar deposit. 500 BUCKS OWCH. I thanked our agent and since we are strapped for cash I am trying to think of a plan B. Any help would be great.

Also if her foot does act up and we have to spend the 500 for one (well 535) does that cover you to take the chair all over the disney property like different parks?

If you all have any idea's for plan B please help I would hate for marcy's first trip to disneyworld be with her not being able to walk and see everything.
    Hi!

Are you looking for a wheelchair, or a scooter?

The last I knew, the resorts still had a limited amount of wheelchairs if you were staying at one. They were no charge, but a deposit (refundable), you could just give them your credit card if you have one.

If you are staying on property, I would call your resort and ask about that. The only issue is that when you DO call the resort, you are actually talking to a call center (unless they end up transferring you). I know someone who works at the CR - and I can ask him, if you need.

I'm sorry about your wife's foot! Of course, you could also order a scooter to be delivered, if that is what you wanted. It is often cheaper to do that than to use one of Disney's.

If you rented a scooter from the parks, you can only use them at the parks. If the resorts still had wheelchairs, those can go everywhere. If you ordered a scooter from a place like Care Medical, those also can go anywhere.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Originally posted by TDLFAN
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

Comment

• SummerInFL
      Relax
      • Sep 2005

There are a couple different options for you that are VERY cost effective. There are advantages and disadvantages to doing offsite or onsite rental, here is an entire article which breaks it down quite nicely.

Where can I rent an ECV or wheelchair at Walt Disney World? And how much does it cost?
      Prices current as of 3/06:
      -- Wheelchairs: $10 per day rental (no deposit); $8 per day Length of Stay rental
      -- ECVs: $35 per day rental with $5 refundable deposit
      You must be 18 years old or older to rent ECVs.
      Disney has a Length of Stay rental ticket for strollers and wheelchairs. With the Length of Stay rental, you make a one-time payment for as many days of rental that you will need. Upon visiting a theme park, show your receipt at the stroller/wheelchair rental location and you will be directed through the queue with little or no wait. There is a slight discount when purchasing the Length of Stay rental ticket.

Comment

• Cmash95
        Banned User
        • Jul 2005

ecv's run 35 a day and you can't take them out of the park so you will have to do some walking, If you can't get a chair at your resort, you can rent chairs at the parks for 10 bucks. depending on the cm's in charge you can even park hop with the chairs. I have done it several times but brought back the chair to that park. there are area rentals that will deliver to your hotel . just call your hotel and get the number. most rentals cover chairs as well as ecvs and are really resonable. I have personally used buena vista scooters for ecvs and they are great.

Comment

• nbodyhome
          Little Miss Sunshine
          • Dec 2005

I just called the Caribbean Beach Resort phone number (again, it doesn't go to the CBR, but I asked in general as far as wheelchairs).

If you are staying onsite, you can get a wheelchair free at your resort with a $315 deposit. That is the current info, as of today. They are limited, but I don't think that many guests know about them. I believe the deposit used to be $250.00. You can keep it for the length of your stay, and it would allow you to use it around the resort as well.

That is for a wheelchair, not a scooter.
          Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

Comment

• Viking16
            Confused One
            • Oct 2006

Thanks everyone for you help. Ya we would be using a scooter and we are staying at the beach club and then be transfering to the disney cruse ship. So then I will call disneyworld because it sounds the AAA travel agent is confused so I will call disney right now.... As of 2-7-08 The disney Agent told me it was $35 a day and a $450 deposit. So what I might do is use my AMEX for the deposit. The Disney agent did tell me to use that medical company said thats a better deal because their chairs can go everywhere so that might be better for her. Since she is with me we willl be doing like 3 parks a day and I need to find out what they will do when we get on the cruise ship.

SO that works thanks again everyone your all great I hope I can meet some of you micechatters at Disneyworld

Comment

• nbodyhome
              Little Miss Sunshine
              • Dec 2005

Definitely, I think getting one offsite will be better (if you need a scooter). Not if it were just for a day, but for a few - I'd just have Care Medical or a similar company deliver one. That way you can walk between Epcot/MGM if you want, and around the resorts.
              Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

Comment

• Greatdanedaddy
                New MiceChatter
                • Jan 2008

Not knowing the whole extent of much you'll need a wheelchair. Each park has a place you can rent a wheelchair. We were then in September with my Mother-In-Law and the walking did get to her. We rented a chair at the gate for $10 I believe. As I understand it, if we would have gone to another park, we could have dropped off the wheelchair at the park we rented it at and got another one at our next park that same day for no further cost. You have to save your receipt however.

Comment

• akfandisney
                  • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Viking16 View Post
                  Thanks everyone for you help. Ya we would be using a scooter and we are staying at the beach club and then be transfering to the disney cruse ship. So then I will call disneyworld because it sounds the AAA travel agent is confused so I will call disney right now.... As of 2-7-08 The disney Agent told me it was $35 a day and a $450 deposit. So what I might do is use my AMEX for the deposit. The Disney agent did tell me to use that medical company said thats a better deal because their chairs can go everywhere so that might be better for her. Since she is with me we willl be doing like 3 parks a day and I need to find out what they will do when we get on the cruise ship.

SO that works thanks again everyone your all great I hope I can meet some of you micechatters at Disneyworld
                  Disney Cruise Ship
                  If I remember there only 12 cabin will take a wheelchair.
                  I have friend that did something with her knee. She can get out the chair. But She had to rebook for the handicap Cabin. There is an wheelchair at the cabin for emergency.
                  She had Cabin 7138 aft and big deck to see the where the ship have been.
                  you can go to Disney Cruise ship web site and see Map of the ship.
                  I do have some Picture of the Cabin.
                  Last edited by akfandisney; 02-07-2008, 03:01 PM.

Toy Story Mania construction:
                  Older photo
                  New Photo

Member of
                  MiceChat WDW Trip
                  Next trip
                  2014 Dec, 31

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X