Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone confirm Space Mountain's refurb?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Can someone confirm Space Mountain's refurb?

Originally posted by SnowflakeSparks View Post
    So going to WDW this year might not be a good idea? Considering I'm a Big Thunder Mountain Railroad fan. D:
    I think you're all set. I haven't heard anything major about a BTMR refurbishment. Space Mountain seems to be Disney's primary focus (even if they continue to push it back). Take your chances and book your trip. You shouldn't push back an enjoyable experience because an attraction you like (MAY or MIGHT NOT BE) closed. It is almost guaranteed that an attraction will be closed for anyone's visit, and that's just part of life. But to answer your question, you probably don't have to worry about missing the attraction if you book your trip for this year.

Visit Disney Reporter - Where the Magic Lives
    (http://www.disneyreporter.net.ms)
    Four years of magic and still going strong.

Comment

Originally posted by MickeysGlove28 View Post
      I hope so your sake that it's open when you go, dland lover! It's a fun ride. BTM is my favorite coaster, but I always ride SM because it's 'tradition.'
      Originally posted by SnowflakeSparks View Post
      So going to WDW this year might not be a good idea? Considering I'm a Big Thunder Mountain Railroad fan. D:
      Originally posted by disneyreporter View Post
      I think you're all set. I haven't heard anything major about a BTMR refurbishment. Space Mountain seems to be Disney's primary focus (even if they continue to push it back). Take your chances and book your trip. You shouldn't push back an enjoyable experience because an attraction you like (MAY or MIGHT NOT BE) closed. It is almost guaranteed that an attraction will be closed for anyone's visit, and that's just part of life. But to answer your question, you probably don't have to worry about missing the attraction if you book your trip for this year.

BTMRR has not gone down or announced date for a refurb yet, but it would likely be a 3-5 month downtime - they are in dire need of new wooden beams at the load station as time and weather have taken their toll and caused them to rot. The track area itself is indeed quite smooth considering the age of the coaster, but a few brakes and storage lines need replacement and new consoles will likely be added. Splash is back up as of 2/17 after a reurb to clean the flume tubes and tune the conveyors and that alone took a few months.

Id still come to WDW anyways. BTMRR might be closed, but its not confirmed, although my opinion is that it will be for safety reasons, even if they dont close SM for the very same reason.

All I can say is that as of now, the SM refurb is officially pushed back to January 2009....this leaves 10 months in between with no other major attractions down, so I'm thinking theyll take BTMRR down to do a minor rehab. WDI got lucky that the bulk of the coaster held up so well over 28 years. Someday BTMRR will be in Sapce's shoes and have its major and desparately needed rehab pushed back for a long time. Only time will tell
      sigpic Blast Off Into Adventure!!

Originally posted by TheRockr
      Space Junk once taught Peter Pan how to do Mick Jagger's famous strut.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Junk View Post
        ok..heres the deal...i am a CM at Space Mountain. After many years (since 1989 to be specific) they have planned refurbs. This year was supposed to be it....it was originally planned for January, got pushed to July 17, and is now planned for January 2009 as a final date (this comes from the people we know at WDI and management. Never fear, it will be soon enough....we have had imagineers at the mountain observing, planning, and calculating - so it is comming soon. The reason it was pushed back is because Big Thunder Mountain has been pushed in front and will be going down very soon if not already.

The Space refurb will take approximately 14 months and include many changes - new rockets with double seats, new track (same design i believe), load gates, new decor, etc...

Keep your fingers crossed!!!
        It I am not mistaken it took over 2 years to rehab SM at Disneyland so if they are going to do the same thing at WDW it should take longer.

Comment

I checked and Space Mountain closed April 2003 and reopened July 2005 They closed earlier than expected because they could not promise it would be open in time for the 50th celebration of Disneyland. Unless they found a new way I expect it to be down also for at least 2 years.

Comment

i would assume the same, but WDI keeps saying no more than 16 months...its weird...then again, were not even 100% sure exactly what theyre doing at this point. I'm just hoping we dont get a half-a**ed refurb....we need a new track and new theming and so much more

Comment

Originally posted by BALASADA View Post
              They closed earlier than expected because they could not promise it would be open in time for the 50th celebration of Disneyland.
              It's my recollection that they closed early when some track damage was discovered, forcing the closure. They could have fixed the bad patch and re-opened fairly quickly, but the decision was made to go ahead and close it all down and start the total replacement of the track.

Comment

I have to say that I am happy space mountain will be refurbished in 2009. I am going to Disney World in June and wanted to see the original.

Comment

at this rate, i wont be suprised if it takes a serious accident or reported damage to force WDW's Space Mountain into a refurb. Ill just say this much.....in the last 6 months, some guests have been hit by pieces of the ride. thats not good....ever....

Comment

at this rate, i wont be suprised if it takes a serious accident or reported damage to force WDW's Space Mountain into a refurb. Ill just say this much.....in the last 6 months, some guests have been hit by pieces of the ride. thats not good....ever....
                    So what do you think the problem is? Walt Disney World doesn't want to be missing one of its big E-ticket attractions? Walt Disney World doesn't want to spend the money unless absolutely nessessary?

Visit Disney Reporter - Where the Magic Lives
                    (http://www.disneyreporter.net.ms)
                    Four years of magic and still going strong.

Comment

Originally posted by disneyreporter View Post
                      So what do you think the problem is? Walt Disney World doesn't want to be missing one of its big E-ticket attractions? Walt Disney World doesn't want to spend the money unless absolutely nessessary?
                      If they're being hit by pieces of the ride isn't that necessary or is that just what I think.
                      Visit

Click the Banner

Comment

Originally posted by BALASADA View Post
                        I checked and Space Mountain closed April 2003 and reopened July 2005 They closed earlier than expected because they could not promise it would be open in time for the 50th celebration of Disneyland. Unless they found a new way I expect it to be down also for at least 2 years.
                        Originally posted by danyoung View Post
                        It's my recollection that they closed early when some track damage was discovered, forcing the closure. They could have fixed the bad patch and re-opened fairly quickly, but the decision was made to go ahead and close it all down and start the total replacement of the track.
                        danyoung is correct. The ride was supposed to shut down I belive after the summer of 2003, but ended up closing earlier because they discovered some issues. I think it was on a Monday.

I only say that because we rode it the day before it's un-announced shut-down and it was probably a Sunday.

They didn't start working on the ride for some time because the refurb hadn't been scheduled.

Comment

That's just unacceptable. I remember several months ago that Space Junk posted about CMs having to manually brake rockets coming into the unload station. Space Mountain at WDW is in completely unexceptable condition. The current state of Space, proves that MK management is full of idiotic buffoons that need to be fired.
                          Last edited by GhostHost2; 02-23-2008, 02:21 PM.

Comment

I nearly had a heart attack, I thought this was for Disneyland's Space Mountain. Thank goodness it isn't. As Tim Gunn would say, "Carry on".

Comment

We rode SM this past Tuesday and it was terrible. So rickety and shaky. I know the ride is supposed to jostle you around a bit, but it's kind of ridiculous. I couldn't even enjoy it. It feels like you're riding on cobblestones.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostHost2 View Post
                                Space Mountain at WDW is in completely unexceptable condition. The current state of Space, proves that MK management is full of idiotic buffoons that need to be fired.
                                Well, if you're going to throw around terms like idiotic buffoons, you might want to make sure your own spelling skills are up to speed with words like "unacceptable".

I'm just sayin' . . .

Comment

Originally posted by danyoung View Post
                                  Well, if you're going to throw around terms like idiotic buffoons, you might want to make sure your own spelling skills are up to speed with words like "unacceptable".

I'm just sayin' . . .
                                  It's been corrected. Anyway, spelling isn't the ultimate measure of someone's intelligence, whereas letting a rollercoaster fall apart and have pieces of it hit riders, and still delay the refurbishment is a true sign of an idiotic buffoon.

Comment

Well, the spelling thing was just a cheap shot on my part. But I still don't think you or any of us know enough about the situation to be calling anybody an idiotic buffoon. Shortsighted? Yup. Overly concerned about the bottom line to the stockholders and not enough with the magic that created the Disney empire in the first place? Absolutely. Ineffective middle management that is only doing what they think will impress their bosses, and bosses who are too entrenched in their tired corporate philosophy of greed to be able to step back and see what made their company great and what is now slowly killing their brand? Yeah. But idiotic buffoon? That's a bit too close to a personal attack against people that we don't even know, and I think is a bit harsh. Just my opinion, of course.

Comment

I really really want to ride this when I go in September as I never have before..But bits of the ride falling off...jeez, they really need to sort this ride out.

Comment

Ok first of all.....

I have heard the rumor of people getting hit by pieces of the ride... but also.. i worked there in 2006..

at the end of the night, we go and raid the bottom of the track for lost and found items... lots of sunglasses, hats, even ipods.. not only that, half the trains are "in motion" at one given time during normal operation. In any case, it was prob a lost and found item such as sunglasses or a hat or something else. Ive never found a piece of the track, or a bolt, or anything on the ground after each night.. and i closed every time..

the likeliness of the ride coming apart and falling on someone is slim to none, because maintenance runs track and inspects every single inch of that ride every single night.

SO dont talk Sh*t about SM. or the managers or whatever your trying to prove because unless you have proof, you dont have a say in anything..

OBVIOUSLY if that was happening, the ride wouldn't be in operation. How about YOU use your brain.

Back to the point.. Ive heard this also, wanted to know the dates, ill be there in June with my fellow "ex" space CP's.

Good to know it wont be closing till 09.
                                        Last edited by bdawg933; 02-28-2008, 10:09 PM.
                                        Space What?!

Comment

Bdawg, did you ever find any...um. Womens undergarments? I ask because I had a friend who a CP and swore she found a bra one night. I can't figure out how that happened and I think she's saying it to pull my leg!

Comment

Working...
                                          X