Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone confirm Space Mountain's refurb?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Can someone confirm Space Mountain's refurb?

yes 2009
    Space What?!

Comment

Originally posted by ralfrick View Post
      As mentioned earlier, it took longer in DL because they closed it earlier than expected because there were safety issues. The day it closed, they had CMs scheduled to work the ride; it was that sudden. So they weren't ready to start the work yet.

Cheers
      No argument there. They didn't have time to prepare for the refurb.

Nevertheless, I still think that it (WDW's refurb/overhaul) could be done faster than the numbers being presented here if they were willing to spend more.

Comment

Originally posted by MickeysGlove28 View Post
        We rode SM this past Tuesday and it was terrible. So rickety and shaky. I know the ride is supposed to jostle you around a bit, but it's kind of ridiculous. I couldn't even enjoy it. It feels like you're riding on cobblestones.
        I noticed it was like this on the left side. I rode again with my little brother on the right side, which actually seemed very smooth. From there forward we rode the right side because it was so much smoother.

Comment

That's good to hear. Come to think of it, I think the last couple of time I rode was on the left side. I'll try out the right in a few weeks. Hopefully you're right - the last few rides have been just a bit too rough for me.

Comment

Originally posted by bdawg933 View Post
            I would believe ANYONE who works at a ride

Then Space Mountain has been refurbed every year for the past five years. (Yes, I've been told that it will be fixed "later this year" every time I've been on the rickety rockets.)

Why does this happen?
            Among other reasons, rumors get passed along as in any major organization. As in "the telephone game", what starts out as the truth gets twisted around until what ends up coming out is a lot different from what started there.
            Also, management plans change. While I would have hoped there was money budgeted for the refurb at least 3-4 years ago, it easily could have been taken out of the budget for higher priority items. (At the Magic Kingdom, management doesn't spend money on maintenance of its attractions unless they have to do so.)

Comment

MOD NOTE: Attacking a post is allowed, attacking a poster is not. Please keep this thread on its original subject.

Comment

Originally posted by bdawg933 View Post
                and thank you very much. anyone else want to disagree?? Disagree with REAL cast members working(ed) there??
                Originally posted by Alpha View Post
                There is no structural problem with the ride itself, far from it. If there were we would not be operating it, that I can also assure everyone.

Every single morning the attraction is signed over to ops, and that certifies that it is safe to operate and that all preventative and corrective matinence has been performed. There really is no reason to speculate about wether something is going to happen to the ride, it is and will always be just as safe as every other Disney attraction or we wouldnt operate it.
                may i remind you of the "magic flashlights" that maintenance uses?? they dont ever fix anything...they just look at it, allow us to reset, and if the ride doesnt auto e-stop, then they say were fine....makes me feel real safe. NOT!

today we were down from 10:07 am until 2:21pm due to an issue with the lower lift caused by mis-maintenance. this caused a fire. we had to evacuate. B-side was broken al day. Reminder: b-side the the side we NEED to run...for the purpose of evacuating wheelchairs....management made the call to run a-side only....this is a safety issue in of itself.

Refurb is still scheduled for January 2009 as of now....look forward to a new queue design!
                sigpic Blast Off Into Adventure!!

Originally posted by TheRockr
                Space Junk once taught Peter Pan how to do Mick Jagger's famous strut.

Comment

even if SM isnt "falling apart" in the literal sense, they are letting it slip too much. At the rides current condition and age, night maintenace should be more scrupulous, but they still do the same maintenace that was performed when the ride was new......it definately needs more attention than 30 it did years ago....
                  Last edited by Space Junk; 03-11-2008, 08:11 AM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Space's rehab, which should have happened a decade ago -- or more, has been pushed back because WDI is trying to get more funds (successfully) as it appears TDO believes a 'new' Space Mountain and a pair of new parades will be enough to keep people from heading to Hogwarts.

They're mistaken, naturally. But this is what they believe.

BTW, I looked at the thread and felt like Pam when she found Bobby in the shower ... like so much had just disappeared. Must have been my imagination.

Comment

ORDDU: Just make sure that YOU don't disappear, yourself, duckling. You know how much a certain coven of witches loves you, do you not?

Comment

Wow!

Ill agree with the posts that Space Mountain is really rickety. It also seems pretty dangerous. My mom is actually scared to the point of refusal to ride.

I just wish they would go with the 4 track extreme design first presented. i read somewhere that the only problem with it was too much light entering the building. Heres a link to a pic of concept art.

http://bp3.blogger.com/_NB7Bwdam9SY/...oncept+art.jpg

THis and Thunder Mesa kind of solidify the early ideas of Disney as a park of colossal proportions and grandeur. At least in My opinion.

Back on topic, I loke the idea of two trains, but it just needs completely new track. Special effects would be nice, and I really cant wait to see if WDI goes extreme with the effects.

P.S. Known on LP as Mickeyboy43

Comment

Originally posted by WDW1974 View Post
                          Space's rehab, which should have happened a decade ago -- or more, has been pushed back because WDI is trying to get more funds (successfully) as it appears TDO believes a 'new' Space Mountain and a pair of new parades will be enough to keep people from heading to Hogwarts.
                          :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::l mao::lmao::lmao:

Universal slogan for 2009/10: Come and visit the Enchanting World of Hogwarts. Ride in the wacky world of Krustyland with The Simspons Ride, and rock out on Hollywood Rip it, Rock it, Ride it.

WDW slogan for 2010: Space Mountain, ride it before it collapses again.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostHost2 View Post
                            :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::l mao::lmao::lmao:

Universal slogan for 2009/10: Come and visit the Enchanting World of Hogwarts. Ride in the wacky world of Krustyland with The Simspons Ride, and rock out on Hollywood Rip it, Rock it, Ride it.

WDW slogan for 2010: Space Mountain, ride it before it collapses again.
                            Haha ... I sure hope we end up with more than just a redone version of Space Mountain though.

Visit Disney Reporter - Where the Magic Lives
                            (http://www.disneyreporter.net.ms)
                            Four years of magic and still going strong.

Comment

So...Is it looking like the refurb will be happening this year...?...

Comment

Originally posted by tracestar View Post
                                So...Is it looking like the refurb will be happening this year...?...
                                all im saying is expect it to actually happen in january 2009....

Comment

Since the Space Mountain in the Magic Kingdom is the oldest one and I beleive the only one that hasn't been redone yet, I think it's time to redo the attraction. Space Mountain in Paris was morphed intop Space Mountain 2 and Space Mountain in California was totally gutted and the ride rebuilt. Hong Kong is still too new and not sure on Japan, but with the money that the Oriental Land Company throws into the parks (the way Disney SHOULD be doing things, it's probably been rebuilt 10 or 12 times already through routine maintenance. I hope they go ahead with the year long closure starting in 2009 and rebuild the total ride inside the cone. Whether that means just 1 track or two I don't care. I would like to see the launch sequence outside like the one in Paris.

Comment

Originally posted by ti2gr View Post
                                    ...... I would like to see the launch sequence outside like the one in Paris.
                                    I agree but Space Mountain De la Terre a La Lune theme only .
                                    HKDL : Done !!!

Comment

Originally posted by ti2gr View Post
                                      and not sure on Japan
                                      Space Mountain was recently, in the past year or two, updated at Tokyo Disneyland. No track replacement and still no audio, but new effects and queue, including a new sleek looking spaceship.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Junk View Post
                                        all im saying is expect it to actually happen in january 2009....
                                        Thats good news for me....I missed it last time we were there about 4-5 years ago and if I had missed it again that would have been sad...At least it will make me happy if they put it back till 2009

Comment

• Re: Can someone confirm Space Mountain's refurb?

Originally posted by tracestar View Post
                                          Thats good news for me....I missed it last time we were there about 4-5 years ago and if I had missed it again that would have been sad...At least it will make me happy if they put it back till 2009
                                          The problem with the big refurb/rebuild being pushed back is that Space Mountain is experiencing more downtown due to operational issues. I'd rather miss out now and now I could expect a stellar experience when I return than have the possibility of experiencing an attraction that has been beaten so badly.

Comment

Working...
                                          X