X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fantasia Shop Grand Opening, Contemporary, T-Rex, other pics by Denise

Originally posted by halltd View Post
    I think that "post/pole thing" is a support for the new "connector" to the Kingdom Tower.
    That's exactly what it is for. And it is a recent addition ... you can the markings and measurements if you go out on the 4th floor balcony and look down (if they haven't been removed).

As to Fantasia I can't believe so much is being made of a generic Disney crap shop reopening 100 feet away from where it used to be. There is nothing special or unique about this place ... except for it clogging up an area that used to be spacious and open.

Comment

Originally posted by WDWizard View Post
      Fantasia looks a bit out-of-place, it was fine where it was before. Couldn't they put the arcade in the new building?? I think they need to make the Contempoary Resort more "Contempoary" looking...and remove the Mary Blair mural (which is great, but also seems a bit out of place in a futuristic themed resort).

Anyways, great pictures!
      I do not want to see the Mary Blair mural removed. It's a representation of the Contemporary's opening day southwest decor. Furthermore, while it may or may not be in theme with the current trend, neither is the World of Disney feel the Fantasia store has brought to this area, nor it is the cheap looking Chef Disney place nearby. Plus, I would hardly call the current theme of the Contemporary "futuristic" anymore. It's elegant and modern but futuristic? No.

Comment

Originally posted by TDLFAN View Post
        I do not want to see the Mary Blair mural removed. It's a representation of the Contemporary's opening day southwest decor. Furthermore, while it may or may not be in theme with the current trend, neither is the World of Disney feel the Fantasia store has brought to this area, nor it is the cheap looking Chef Disney place nearby. Plus, I would hardly call the current theme of the Contemporary "futuristic" anymore. It's elegant and modern but futuristic? No.
        Exactly. It's amazing how many WDW 'fans' who never visited say pre-early 90's have no clue that beyond being a fantastic modernist building, that the Contemporary also had a theme: the Grand Canyon and SW USA.

Rooms had similar decor to Blair's masterpiece and every resturant and bar on the GRAND CANYON COUNCOURSE had names/themes to places/landmarks in that region of the country.

Ever since they added the Convention Center and tarted the place up with Chef Mickey's, it's been a very muddled theme.

But at least the purple and red and black 90s decor is out in place of upscale, boutique type type furniture, carpeting and general decor.

Comment

Exactly why I detest the convention center, the changes it caused and everything that came with it afterwards. And yes, I remember the wall art featuring Mary's grand canyon in my rooms at the hotel, which were an extension of the mural as well... That is what separated Disney from the rest, just like the exquisite Pinnochio art elevates the hallways and room decor of the Miracosta. The Contemporary has become as ordinary as every other luxury hotel in town... faux italian decor what mirrors everything else found in today's pricier resorts.

Comment

Originally posted by TDLFAN View Post
            Exactly why I detest the convention center, the changes it caused and everything that came with it afterwards. And yes, I remember the wall art featuring Mary's grand canyon in my rooms at the hotel, which were an extension of the mural as well... That is what separated Disney from the rest, just like the exquisite Pinnochio art elevates the hallways and room decor of the Miracosta. The Contemporary has become as ordinary as every other luxury hotel in town... faux italian decor what mirrors everything else found in today's pricier resorts.
            I disagree about that now. It certainly was very ordinary until its recent renovations. But the rooms there are the highest end rooms on property as far as I'm concerned (although I have yet to see a new GF room in person).

I was in those rooms when they were redoing them and they gutted them and used very high quality, upscale components.

The resort, though, is definitely not a cohesive design anymore.

And they're taking forever getting things done. The Wave is still under construction and then they get back to the Concourse and remove the Steakhouse. Then, when all that is done, they finally remodel the California Grill. By that point, the rooms will be a mess again!

Comment

It's OK to disagree, but do you think it's worth $250++ a night?

Comment

Yes, I do. And you KNOW how I feel about WDW being way overpriced in so many ways.

Look at the crackpots who pay $125 for the AllStars at the holidays etc ... but I travel enough to have a good idea of what's worth what. Of course, a $250 room at the Contemporary is (sadly) a bargain!

Comment

Originally posted by WDW1974 View Post
                  Yes, I do. And you KNOW how I feel about WDW being way overpriced in so many ways.

Look at the crackpots who pay $125 for the AllStars at the holidays etc ... but I travel enough to have a good idea of what's worth what. Of course, a $250 room at the Contemporary is (sadly) a bargain!
                  True enough. Although you can still find bargains if you are persistent.
                  www.jamboeveryone.com
                  Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

sigpic

Comment

You're paying for the monorail and proximity to the MK more than anything at the Contemporary. As illustrated by the rumored prices of the Kingdom Tower, location is everything.
                    -Tim

Comment

Originally posted by halltd View Post
                      You're paying for the monorail and proximity to the MK more than anything at the Contemporary. As illustrated by the rumored prices of the Kingdom Tower, location is everything.
                      I haven't seen the rumored prices yet. But it will go very, very quickly.

The funny thing, the CR is really on the low end pricewise for deluxes - with just about the largest rooms on property. WL and AKL are less expensive - but not by a whole lot when talking about a standard room, and the WL/AKL rooms are much smaller.

I remember back around 2000, at Disneyana times - being able to snag rooms for like $120 per night AP/FL resident. Maybe as low as $100 or so going only a couple of years back from that.
                      Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Originally posted by TDLFAN
                      I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
                      on Bay Lake.

Comment

great pics as usual
                        Kelly

Comment

Working...
                        X