X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Where is MGM?

:ot:OT WARNING

Originally posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Hey, I love CA. I would not mind living out there, but the cost of housing in that area is simply out of my reach.
    Certain parts of CA are cool. Like the mountainous foresty regions that border the north NV border, people like the Bay Area and I lived in the winery areas just north of that for many years and it was a nice environment but I found there was nothing to do on the weekends.

However, as a Northerner back then I do wish there was some way to split the state into two through the middle. Disneyland aside, I loathe LA (used to dislike all SoCal until I discovered San Diego which is a pretty neat place,) and I got tired of watching every "Shall the state take an 80 gajillion dollar bond for roads/traffic/environment/education, to be paid back hopefully before we're all in the ground?" pass and see nothing but the bill because all the improvements went to the Angelenos.

Being from FL, TDLFAN, you've probably seen something like this (people from Tampa complain about people from Miami or what have you), but I don't think it happens as often as California propositions are kind of unique.
    Last edited by MickeyMania; 03-01-2008, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by halltd View Post
      I would have preferred The Walt Disney Studios Florida as well, but do they actually MAKE anything in the park anymore? I know back in the day they filmed shows, made movies, etc... in the park. But, now it seems like all the soundstages are attractions and I never hear about anything filming there (besides ESPN week and the cheerleading things). It just seems like a glorified theme park now and no longer a functioning "studios". When they closed the animation division, I was devastated.
      Actually on occasion they do use the studio. My granddaughter did a commercial for Playhouse Disney and it was shot there and over at what is now called Saratoga Springs. Just don't ask how Disney treats the kids..you really don't want to know.
      Lindsy - former Res Center CM (10 years)
      www.magicaltravel.com Sponsors of the Disney Cruise Line Forum:thumbup:

Look for this logo when booking Disney.
      [email protected]
      Favorite Sites for latest news:
      WDWNewToday.com
      WaltDisneyBoards.com
      DisneyReporter.net.ms

Comment

True. But it would have been in line with the "Walt Disney Studios Paris" name.. Also, is it me or does the "Universal Orlando" name for their resort sounds... tacky?
        Err... what? It's Universal. And it's in Orlando. How is that tacky?

Comment

Originally posted by Stitchy-poo View Post
          what was that? That's not that little animation show where MuShu helps them show you how animation happens, is it?
          That's what's there now? Oh man, talk about a downfall.

Back when I went, which was when I was 10 or 11, you had a guided tour of the animation studio. The lobby featured framed cells from recent and classic animated films and replicas of the Snow White Oscars were the centerpiece of the lobby. From there, they lead you into a room where you could view concept art and even some animators at work. When I went, I remember seeing prototype character designs from Aladdin, and the one they had on display was Jasmine in a red version of her costume she is found in when she does park walks (which does appear in the film when she's Jafar's harem slave). They would then take you down a hall way pass the ink-and-paint area and then into a theatre where they would explain the rest of the processes they couldn't show you for one reason or another.

It was a really nice tour, and to learn now that it's replaced with just a movie really makes me sad. Before this, I heard they were still doing the tours, but the entire facility was just empty and kind of eerie.
          WARNING: Any opinions expressed by this user are wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by ZeekSlider View Post
            That's what's there now? Oh man, talk about a downfall.

Back when I went, which was when I was 10 or 11, you had a guided tour of the animation studio. The lobby featured framed cells from recent and classic animated films and replicas of the Snow White Oscars were the centerpiece of the lobby. From there, they lead you into a room where you could view concept art and even some animators at work. When I went, I remember seeing prototype character designs from Aladdin, and the one they had on display was Jasmine in a red version of her costume she is found in when she does park walks (which does appear in the film when she's Jafar's harem slave). They would then take you down a hall way pass the ink-and-paint area and then into a theatre where they would explain the rest of the processes they couldn't show you for one reason or another.

It was a really nice tour, and to learn now that it's replaced with just a movie really makes me sad. Before this, I heard they were still doing the tours, but the entire facility was just empty and kind of eerie.

Yes it was, We saw the statues and work done on Mulan and part of brother bear when they where in development, but Disney decided that traditional hand drawn animation was dead and that it was faster (ergo cheaper) to develop new features on the computer.... After that the last time we went thru the exhibit it was mostly dead, one CM was thee to show how they drew mickey by hand and how they animated the robot from treasure planet in MAYA. The quality of the Disney animated features since closing the Florida animation department IMHO just has not been the same.
            Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

Comment

Originally posted by JtnOrl View Post
              Err... what? It's Universal. And it's in Orlando. How is that tacky?
              Maybe tacky is not the right word for what I meant. Tacky was the other name they had... Universal ESCAPE FL. That was bad!! However, I feel the current name should include something more... Like Universal CITY Florida, or Universal Resort Orlando. Just plain Universal is ..well, a lazy approach to the name.

Comment

Maybe tacky is not the right word for what I meant. Tacky was the other name they had... Universal ESCAPE FL. That was bad!! However, I feel the current name should include something more... Like Universal CITY Florida, or Universal Resort Orlando. Just plain Universal is ..well, a lazy approach to the name.
                I was just about to mention Universal Escape. Maybe they're just trying to make everything easier for people to understand after the whole "Escape" mistake.

Comment

Working...
                X