X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PLAZAINN1
    started a topic World Showcase (uk Pavillion) Question

World Showcase (uk Pavillion) Question

I have always wondered why do they not have a smaller version of the Changing of the Guard ceremony at the UK pavillion in Epcot. I think something like that would go over well. Would anyone know if this was ever considered when Epcot was being planned and built.

Thanks

• danyoung
    replied
    Re: World Showcase (uk Pavillion) Question

There actually was a shortlived troup of guardsmen that worked the UK area a few years ago. Four of them would march around in perfect step, and then start to follow someone, causing them to retreat (hopefully laughing). They would pin people in, and in general cause havoc. My understanding is that they didn't quite know where the line was between fun and harassment, and they didn't last long. I thought they were pretty funny, though!

Leave a comment:

• PLAZAINN1
    replied

Originally posted by BigPigletFan View Post
    With such a large number of British tourists visiting WDW each year they'd probably get hackled for the lack of authenticity or something first. I'm all for more cultural additions to the World Showcase, but most guests would prefer them in ways of attractions.

I hear you on that!!!

Leave a comment:

• BigPigletFan
    replied

With such a large number of British tourists visiting WDW each year they'd probably get hackled for the lack of authenticity or something first. I'm all for more cultural additions to the World Showcase, but most guests would prefer them in ways of attractions.

Leave a comment:

• MJMcB
    replied

they should have goofy and donald dressed in those silly suits

Leave a comment:

• lazyboy97O
    replied

Guardsmen seem like they would be a huge hit, especially as a photo op. I would just fear that Disney today would want them to be irreverent and goofy.

Leave a comment:

• PLAZAINN1
    replied

Originally posted by WDW Monorail View Post
    :lol:

Should I have said majestically appropriate suits?

No, majestically appropriate uniforms, not suits!!!

Leave a comment:

• WDW Monorail
    replied

:lol:

Should I have said majestically appropriate suits?

*Edit*

Since you seem to have been offended, just note that they are not funny at all. They are symbolic indeed much like the Marines who guard the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.

Now if you were talking about the pagliaci Swiss Guard...

Leave a comment:

• PLAZAINN1
    replied

Originally posted by WDW Monorail View Post
    They don't want to pay people to dress up in funny suits and stand in the 102 degree Florida weather for 8 hours?

"FUNNY SUITS", now that is funny coming from someone who doesn't appreciate the service of her majesty's regiments. WOW!!! And I am not even a british citizen. The only thing I can agree with you on this is the 102 degree temps and humidity.

Leave a comment:

• WDW Monorail
    replied

They don't want to pay people to dress up in funny suits and stand in the 102 degree Florida weather for 8 hours?

Leave a comment:

• PLAZAINN1
    replied

I used to be a guardsman when I worked at the Queen Mary in Long Beach, Ca. and that was not at the Queen's residences. We had the band abd the complete changing of the guard ceremonies. It was so much fun. I did this as a part time job, while going to college and the program was eventually canned in 1981, so yes, it could be done away from the UK.

Leave a comment:

• MouseHipster
    replied

Well, it's only done in front of the Queen's various residences, so it wouldn't make much sense.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X