Announcement

Collapse
See more
See less

Is the Age of Pirates Gone?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    Re: Is the Age of Pirates Gone?

    aw, thanks. I'm a little obssessed. Or at least it looks that way in my pirate bathroom.



    Comment


    • #22
      Re: Is the Age of Pirates Gone?

      Originally posted by GhostHost2 View Post
      The Parties at the Magic Kingdom are a horrible and greedy idea and should be done away with ASAP. It is ridiculous to charge 40-50 dollars to get into the Magic Kingdom for 5 hours, while closing it off at 7 for all the other guests.
      But if you know how to do it right, they start letting party guests in at 4pm. That gives you 8 hours in the park. I went last summer, not for the party really, but to ride the rides with minimal crowds. And because it POURED most of the night, nearly everything was a literal walk-on. I did the teacups 3 times in a row, back-to-back-to-back as a result. I had fun stumbling around Fantasyland for a few minutes after that last ride. Wheeee!

      Anyhow, I think pirates in general will always have some kind of popularity, but it's totally like Disney to force stuff like this on guests. I'm a girl and I never cared for the princesses that much. I always made a beeline for the fuzzy head characters (Tigger, Pluto, Goofy, etc.) and pretty much did/do a 180 when I see a face character coming my way. But I think they should take what they do with these parties and make them available to ALL guests visiting that day. But since they make mega money off these hard ticket events, you can bet your biscuits Disney will keep milking the cash cow as long as they can.

      Comment


      • #23
        Re: Is the Age of Pirates Gone?

        Originally posted by MJMcB View Post
        Yeah, but the princesses have real staying power. I'm not sure pirates do and maybe replaced with a new franchise. Perhaps that rumored Lone Ranger remake, perhaps the Prince of Persia deal
        How about the Lone Power Ranger remake? lol
        Goodbye, Me Bizarro is not Monkey Joe. Me Bizarro hates Disney parks so much. Hello

        Comment


        • #24
          Re: Is the Age of Pirates Gone?

          ORDDU: From what Jim Hill's article had to say, the REAL reason a pirate theme restaurant might not work at the Magic Kingdom is due to the fact that--according to the article--Disney management believes they can't currently keep the restaurants they already have filled to the brim with guests. As for whether or not the Pirates craze is at an end, it's difficult to say and really depends on who you talk to. It would seem that there will always be an interest in pirates. However, the Disney Marketing people are guilty of doing a pirates 'over-kill', if you ask me.

          ORWEN: I hope they don't still go ahead with that one bad idea they talked about a while back--where all of Adventureland would be turned into a Pirate-land sort of place.

          Comment


          • #25
            Re: Is the Age of Pirates Gone?

            Originally posted by Monkey joe View Post
            How about the Lone Power Ranger remake? lol
            you and those Power Rangers
            www.jamboeveryone.com
            Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

            sigpic

            Comment


            • #26
              Re: Is the Age of Pirates Gone?

              I don't think the failure of the P&P Paties has anything to do with people being sick of pirates. I think it has more to do with that it's a completely fabricated event whereas the other 2 parties are just a continuing celebration of a pre-exisiting holiday. It also doesn't sound like much is offered at these parties. It doesn't even seem like much is actually offered at these parties. They even cut back the offerings this year. Really, the whole concept just sounds bad.

              Comment


              • #27
                Re: Is the Age of Pirates Gone?

                ^^ Definitely think you have a point there.

                In general I think Disney has a lot of issues cultivating new characters to be long term commodities. Decision making is made for the momement not the long haul.

                Comment


                • #28
                  Re: Is the Age of Pirates Gone?

                  Very true. People like to make an extra effort (and are willing to take on the extra expense) to celebrate major holidays. I'd be less willing to shell out $40 just because Disney came up with an excuse to part me with my money.
                  My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

                  Comment


                  • #29
                    Re: Is the Age of Pirates Gone?

                    If they did make the P&P a little more special, maybe it would do better. Frankly, I hope it continues to play at lower capacity. I'm doing it in May
                    www.jamboeveryone.com
                    Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

                    sigpic

                    Comment


                    • #30
                      Re: Is the Age of Pirates Gone?

                      I may be wrong, but wasn't P&P done during school time most of the time? I could be wrong! But if this is the case, that could be why many people didn't go. Usually people wait until summer, Spring Break, Christmas - and other major vacation times to go. I LOVE the pirates idea - I've always loved the movies, the ride - just all of it. I would've gone to the P&P myself if it wasn't for some of the scheduled days. Most were weekdays, as opposed to the Halloween event that I faithfully went to for 3 years in a row. I was able to find a few Fridays to choose from, and went from there to coordinate a good time to go. I really hope it stays popular!

                      Comment


                      • #31
                        Re: Is the Age of Pirates Gone?

                        I think several things are contributing to Pirate and Princess not getting the attendance.

                        1. The other parties center around an existing holiday, Pirate and Princess does not.
                        2. Pirate and Princess hasn't had the best of dates to work with.

                        I don't consider the special parties a rip off. WDW has 4 theme parks and it only occurs at MK. And it's not like it isn't posted on the schedules that they are closing the park to regular guests at 7. And party guests get to come in at 4 or so. We found the different parade and the different fireworks show to be alone worth the money ourselves. These things cost $$$ to put on. One disappointment we had with things was the rare characters don't come out so much. It's not something we'd do every

                        Comment


                        • #32
                          Re: Is the Age of Pirates Gone?

                          I enjoyed the Xmas Party a lot. I wrote a review.
                          http://www.mouseextra.com/2007/11/16...money/#respond

                          My wife thought it was a waste of cash.

                          I love the end where nearly everything is empty. We just kept riding Big Thunder over and over.

                          We're trying P&P in May
                          www.jamboeveryone.com
                          Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

                          sigpic

                          Comment


                          • #33
                            Re: Is the Age of Pirates Gone?

                            Originally posted by MJMcB View Post
                            I enjoyed the Xmas Party a lot. I wrote a review.
                            http://www.mouseextra.com/2007/11/16...money/#respond

                            My wife thought it was a waste of cash.

                            I love the end where nearly everything is empty. We just kept riding Big Thunder over and over.

                            We're trying P&P in May
                            I love empty parks! I was with a friend on Presidents Day, and pretty much everything that evening was a walk on - including the Astro Orbitor (no extra money required!) My favorite party is the Mickeys Not So Scary, I could do that every day and not get bored.
                            Denise

                            www.mousesteps.com




                            Favorite TDL Typo:

                            Originally posted by TDLFAN
                            I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
                            on Bay Lake.

                            Comment


                            • #34
                              Re: Is the Age of Pirates Gone?

                              Originally posted by WDWGirl View Post
                              I may be wrong, but wasn't P&P done during school time most of the time? I could be wrong! But if this is the case, that could be why many people didn't go. Usually people wait until summer, Spring Break, Christmas - and other major vacation times to go. I LOVE the pirates idea - I've always loved the movies, the ride - just all of it. I would've gone to the P&P myself if it wasn't for some of the scheduled days. Most were weekdays, as opposed to the Halloween event that I faithfully went to for 3 years in a row. I was able to find a few Fridays to choose from, and went from there to coordinate a good time to go. I really hope it stays popular!
                              That's a good point. Many of the P&P parties occur during the "off-season" and that could contribute to the small turnout as well. I wonder if these were offered more during the summer if attendence would increase. Maybe they're trying to use these parties to further diminish the off-season. Doesn't seem to be working too well at the moment.

                              Comment


                              • #35
                                Re: Is the Age of Pirates Gone?

                                Originally posted by kirbilicious View Post
                                That's a good point. Many of the P&P parties occur during the "off-season" and that could contribute to the small turnout as well. I wonder if these were offered more during the summer if attendence would increase. Maybe they're trying to use these parties to further diminish the off-season. Doesn't seem to be working too well at the moment.

                                Man I love this thread, first off Pirates are not dead, I'm addicted to POTC online now and while as compared to most of the MMOs out there its fairly weak, there is a huge following and fan base. Disney has made a fortune on merch and continues to do so. The movies made money, and they left an opening for a follow up of some sort in the future. Yes it will wane a bit now that the trilogy is over but it still has a core following.

                                Now the PPP event was a marketing gimmick pure and simple to try to increase attendance during off peak seasons to fill up empty rooms on property. Where WDW events management went wrong was to try to hard sell the event like they did with the holiday parties. Those parties are around busier peak times where they can get away with the up charge and have a dedicated following. (I have done the MNSSHP about 4-5 times now and we love it and plan a special trip for it, etc.)

                                If WDW management was clever what they would have done is offered the party free of charge as a special package for Disney resort guests, similar to the EMH's. This would make the event more exclusive, drive more people to stay on property, and even pull in locals to stay on property for a couple nights if they are die hard fans. (you all know who you are... ) The end result could have been much more profitable for Disney* if they would just take a "add value" approach versus the current RTC model of "hey they're leaving the park with money in thier pockets your not selling enough cheap crap" position they have been taking for the past several years...

                                * Do the Disney Math: 40$ a ticket vrs say a 2-3 night minimum stay at a value resort at 151/night + tickets + food and merch. = Poor business planning WDW! Now imagine if they stayed at the Contemporary or Poly!
                                Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

                                Comment


                                • #36
                                  Re: Is the Age of Pirates Gone?

                                  Originally posted by Jerren View Post
                                  Man I love this thread,

                                  Thanks
                                  www.jamboeveryone.com
                                  Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

                                  sigpic

                                  Comment


                                  • #37
                                    Re: Is the Age of Pirates Gone?

                                    Originally posted by Witches of Morva View Post
                                    ORDDU: From what Jim Hill's article had to say, the REAL reason a pirate theme restaurant might not work at the Magic Kingdom is due to the fact that--according to the article--Disney management believes they can't currently keep the restaurants they already have filled to the brim with guests. As for whether or not the Pirates craze is at an end, it's difficult to say and really depends on who you talk to. It would seem that there will always be an interest in pirates. However, the Disney Marketing people are guilty of doing a pirates 'over-kill', if you ask me.

                                    ORWEN: I hope they don't still go ahead with that one bad idea they talked about a while back--where all of Adventureland would be turned into a Pirate-land sort of place.
                                    I find it hard to believe that if they made a new table service restaurant in MK that they would have trouble keeping all the TS restaurants in the kingdom in the black... Anyone who has tried to make PS reservations a month or so out can attest its darned near impossible to get a decent table at a decent hour with the four that are operating now... Even if its not a Pirate themed venue open up the old "Adventureland Veranda" as a table service restaurant already! Then add a Pirates/Indi/Aladin adventurer dinner if they feel they need to fine by me but it would help to revitalize that area right over the hub bridge to adventureland to reopen the veranda, it seems so blah and forgotten since Kikoman pulled its support of the restaurant there.
                                    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

                                    Comment


                                    • #38
                                      Re: Is the Age of Pirates Gone?

                                      Originally posted by WSVR View Post
                                      I don't consider the special parties a rip off. WDW has 4 theme parks and it only occurs at MK. And it's not like it isn't posted on the schedules that they are closing the park to regular guests at 7. And party guests get to come in at 4 or so. We found the different parade and the different fireworks show to be alone worth the money ourselves. These things cost $$$ to put on. One disappointment we had with things was the rare characters don't come out so much. It's not something we'd do every
                                      Well traditionally the MK has stayed open the latest of all the parks. AK will be closed once it's time for a party, and DHS will be closed soon after that. EPCOT can stay open to 9:30, but still the MK often traditionally stays open latter than that. Plus, as many problems as I have the MK, at least they have a lot more I enjoy than EPCOT.

                                      Comment


                                      • #39
                                        Re: Is the Age of Pirates Gone?

                                        I think GhostHost 2 really nailed the problem with the parties. No other parks stay open later unless they are offering Evening Extra Magic Hours.

                                        Comment


                                        • #40
                                          Re: Is the Age of Pirates Gone?

                                          I think GhostHost 2 really nailed the problem with the parties. No other parks stay open later unless they are offering Evening Extra Magic Hours, which are not on Saturday nights.

                                          Comment

                                          Working...
                                          X