This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the Age of Pirates Gone?

Is the pirate as a major Disney franchise gone? The P&P party seems to be failing. At World's End was not the hit Disney hoped. And now Jim Hill is stating that the planned Torutga restaraunt at WDW is a no-go.
    http://www.mouseextra.com/2008/03/03...tuga/#comments

So the question is: will Disney abandon the pirate thing?
    www.jamboeveryone.com
    Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

sigpic

Re: Is the Age of Pirates Gone?

Interesting - they were definitely planning that restaurant at WDW. I do think when Disney over-pushes, people lose interest (pins, Millionaire). Too much princess for me too!
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Originally posted by TDLFAN
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

Comment

Originally posted by nbodyhome View Post
      Interesting - they were definitely planning that restaurant at WDW. I do think when Disney over-pushes, people lose interest (pins, Millionaire). Too much princess for me too!
      Yeah, but the princesses have real staying power. I'm not sure pirates do and maybe replaced with a new franchise. Perhaps that rumored Lone Ranger remake, perhaps the Prince of Persia deal
      www.jamboeveryone.com

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MJMcB View Post
        Yeah, but the princesses have real staying power. I'm not sure pirates do and maybe replaced with a new franchise. Perhaps that rumored Lone Ranger remake, perhaps the Prince of Persia deal
        Princesses have been around a long time - but you never know, overloading the park on them might turn people off.

Haven't heard of the Lone Ranger remake!

Really, parents have been wanting a character meal for boys for a very long time. Mostly I hear a Toy Story one (with Buzz). I don't personally care either way, but it may be very popular. Not sure on Pirates.
        Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Originally posted by TDLFAN
        I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
        on Bay Lake.

Comment

Well from what a manager told me that we'll no longer be shooting (photographing) Captian Jack on the Island because they (those people in power) feel that it's wearing off and no one is really buying that photo any longer. They say that he'll (Captain Jack) will still wonder the island, however we'll just not be taking photos of him.
          My new motto for 2008 - "If you will live like no one else today, later you can live like no one else." - Dave Ramsey.

Comment

Originally posted by nbodyhome View Post
            Haven't heard of the Lone Ranger remake!

http://www.lonerangerfanclub.com/new...ngermovie.html

Apparently, Bruckheimer has been linked to the project as has Disney
            www.jamboeveryone.com

sigpic

Comment

I think it's premature to write off the appeal of pirates in general as well as the film franchise. The third movie was still a huge hit, and the financial success of part two really made it hard for any film to match that level of success.

The popularity may have peaked, but I wouldn't count out Pirates yet.

The restaurant sounds really fun to me, too bad they're not going ahead with it. A character meal based on face characters could make for a lot of fun interaction. Also, the pirates characters have a bit of an edge to them, whereas the other characters (toons & princesses) have to act really nice, for the most part. Could be fun.
              My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

Comment

I know at DL last weekend the pirate show over on PLOTSI was being watched by only half a dozen or so people. And this was on a weekend during the 2fer which means the park was just about as crowded as it gets.

Without the other studios releasing alternative blockbuster pirate movies, this whole pirate thing is a fad that will quickly go away. Especially now with Indy 4 looming on the horizon.

Comment

I agree that they've been "forcing" Pirates a little too much. If you look at their other "classic" attractions that have been around for centuries, they definitely have a ton of staying power. But, if you focus too much on one franchise, then people are bound to get tired of seeing it.

Sometimes too much marketing and hype is a bad thing. Even if sales and interest is falling off a bit, wasn't it at record levels before? So, even after it falls a little, isn't it still above a lot of other franchises they have?
                  -Tim

Comment

Originally posted by BC_DisneyGeek View Post
                    The third movie was still a huge hit, and the financial success of part two really made it hard for any film to match that level of success.
                    I don't think the third one was a financial success in light of the money spent on thr films and advertising
                    www.jamboeveryone.com

sigpic

Comment

I don't think the third one was a financial success in light of the money spent on thr films and advertising
                      Well, I said it was a huge hit, I wasn't addressing profitability.

And considering it earned:

Domestic: $309,420,425 + Foreign: $651,576,067 = Worldwide: $960,996,492
                      (http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/...caribbean3.htm)

even before merchandise and DVD sales are taken into account, I find it hard to believe this was not a profitable endeavor for Disney.

Any movie earning $300 million domestically is still popular, even if that popularity is on a downward trend.

Comment

Well, I said it was a huge hit, I wasn't addressing profitability.

And considering it earned:

Domestic: $309,420,425 + Foreign: $651,576,067 = Worldwide: $960,996,492
                        (http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/...caribbean3.htm)

even before merchandise and DVD sales are taken into account, I find it hard to believe this was not a profitable endeavor for Disney.

Any movie earning $300 million domestically is still popular, even if that popularity is on a downward trend.
                        It earned more than I had thought. I just recalled hearing somewhere it was not a big financial success
                        www.jamboeveryone.com

sigpic

Comment

It earned more than I had thought. I just recalled hearing somewhere it was not a big financial success
                          I'm sure by Hollywood accounting standards the movie is on Disney's books as a money loser

Just for comparions sake, Pirates 2 earned:

Domestic:
                          $423,315,812 + Foreign: $642,863,913 = Worldwide: $1,066,179,725

The first film earned:

Domestic: $305,413,918 + Foreign: $348,850,097 = Worldwide: $654,264,015

Comment

The Parties at the Magic Kingdom are a horrible and greedy idea and should be done away with ASAP. It is ridiculous to charge 40-50 dollars to get into the Magic Kingdom for 5 hours, while closing it off at 7 for all the other guests.

There may have been an oversaturation of pirates, but it is inevitable that a downturn would occur when the next Pirates movie won't be coming out for a few more years. Mickey Mouse wasn't quite as popular when Donald was in the limelight back in the late 1930s. I think ultimately, Pirates have staying power, Disney just should be careful not to oversaturate the market with them again.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostHost2 View Post
                              The Parties at the Magic Kingdom are a horrible and greedy idea and should be done away with ASAP. It is ridiculous to charge 40-50 dollars to get into the Magic Kingdom for 5 hours, while closing it off at 7 for all the other guests.
                              Yes, especially when you read how little "extras" there are for these parties. A different fireworks show? Big whoop. At a minimum, guests of the Magic Kingdom that day should have complementary park hopping privileges over to Epcot.

Comment

Yes, especially when you read how little "extras" there are for these parties. A different fireworks show? Big whoop. At a minimum, guests of the Magic Kingdom that day should have complementary park hopping privileges over to Epcot.
                                I like the Xmas.
                                www.jamboeveryone.com

sigpic

Comment

I agree that Disney definately pushed pirates down people's throats to far, and personally, I don't think they needed to. People still would have bought the products and seen the movies without all of Disney's promotion. I don't think Disney should drop it though. Give the pirates thing a rest ... let it sink slightly below the radar for a bit, and then go and build the Tortuga restaurant. It will help raise the enthusiasm level for pirates again, and where it wasn't constantly being promoted up until that time, people won't be sick of pirates for when it opens. And if there is a fourth movie (which I really hope there is!), this would be great promotion for it. Princesses control the park. Little girls have so many character experiences that they can go to. The little boys need an experience that they can enjoy as well.

Visit Disney Reporter - Where the Magic Lives
                                  (http://www.disneyreporter.net.ms)
                                  Four years of magic and still going strong.

Comment

Originally posted by disneyreporter View Post
                                    I agree that Disney definately pushed pirates down people's throats to far, and personally, I don't think they needed to. People still would have bought the products and seen the movies without all of Disney's promotion. I don't think Disney should drop it though. Give the pirates thing a rest ... let it sink slightly below the radar for a bit, and then go and build the Tortuga restaurant. It will help raise the enthusiasm level for pirates again, and where it wasn't constantly being promoted up until that time, people won't be sick of pirates for when it opens. And if there is a fourth movie (which I really hope there is!), this would be great promotion for it. Princesses control the park. Little girls have so many character experiences that they can go to. The little boys need an experience that they can enjoy as well.
                                    I agree with not dropping it completely, but cut back a little. Little girls will dress up like princesses for a lot longer than little boys like to dress up, hence the popularity of the princesses. I won free tickets to the Princess Lunch over at the Grand Floridian. Took my granddaughter who had a very good time, but was it over $200. worth of a good time, I don't think so. Not for little finger sandwiches and tea. They really should think about what they do and how much they charge for things. The average family cannot afford all these little extras, especially after paying for a package. Even those coming in for a day, the price of admission is high enough for a family of 4, the least it should do is include parking. But, NO, Disney has to eek an extra $11.00 out of everyone. Walt would turn over in his grave, as this is not what he had in mind when he planned Disneyland. He wanted a park for the kids to pay back all he had gotten from all the children over the years. Soon it will be $100.00 a day just to do 1 park. At least let the kids do all that is there for them to do in the parks, including parties if they are going on that day..
                                    Lindsy - former Res Center CM (10 years)
                                    www.magicaltravel.com Sponsors of the Disney Cruise Line Forum:thumbup:

Look for this logo when booking Disney.
                                    [email protected]
                                    Favorite Sites for latest news:
                                    WDWNewToday.com
                                    WaltDisneyBoards.com
                                    DisneyReporter.net.ms

Comment

aw, I would have liked to go to a pirate restuarant.

Comment

Originally posted by Stitchy View Post
                                        aw, I would have liked to go to a pirate restuarant.
                                        Well for you Stitchy, we'll vote "yes" to the pirates..
                                        Lindsy - former Res Center CM (10 years)
                                        www.magicaltravel.com Sponsors of the Disney Cruise Line Forum:thumbup:

Look for this logo when booking Disney.
                                        [email protected]
                                        Favorite Sites for latest news:
                                        WDWNewToday.com
                                        WaltDisneyBoards.com
                                        DisneyReporter.net.ms

Comment

Working...
                                        X