Announcement

Collapse
See more
See less

'Ohana means Danny's Going to Eat a lot!

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Ohana means Danny's Going to Eat a lot!

This is a thread for my pal and fellow fat dude, Texas Danny Young.

But since I'm sure we have many happy eaters here, I think this may be useful to others.

I had a meal recently at 'Ohana for the first time in two years.

I used to love it, but stopped going when they started dumbing it down while raising the prices.

Well, I've got some good news. The lousy sausage is gone. Real shrimp are back. They also hand you (literally) a loaf of pineapple-coconut bread when you enter that's quite good. They have also changed the mixed veggies for a bowl of crispy, crunchy yummy broccolli and snow peas.

generally, the food in 2008 is better than it was in 2006, while still a notch or two below 2003.

Also, since I know Danny loves it, the fresh pineappale with caramel sauce is indeed available. You just have to request it. Apparently, only regulars and oldtimers know this as I saw about five tables in the whole place (and it was full) with it instead of the bread pudding. It makes sense that they have it. They dig all that fruit out for the lapu lapus they serve at the lounge, so it needs to go somewhere. It's just a lot less expensive to serve bread pudding, which I feel is very out of place with a Polynesian dinner (the taters, which are tasty, are even more so!) You may have to push your server if they're a newbie and not used to the requests, but it is there and is available.

Anyway, other than some rushed service -- no, I don't want my steak and turkey with my salad, sorry, come back when it is convenient FOR ME, the guest -- I can happily say that 'Ohana is back on my dining at WDW list!

Good eating!

Re: 'Ohana means Danny's Going to Eat a lot!

I'm happy to hear this! Yes, when I dined there in January there were in the midst of changing the menu (which I had heard from Tikiman.) I was confused at first when they brought by shrimp... especially since they had already served it in a bowl as well. I'm excited to go back and try more things, but I have to say that I do like the bread pudding, even if it is out of place. :cblush:

Comment

Disney is increasing value to the guests (or restoring it somewhat at any rate)? Good to hear. News like this is, sadly, all too rare it seems.
      My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

Comment

WDW1974, I don't think you are fat at all... certainly I am bigger than you in the waist... but the truth is... Danno is still bigger than the two of us. Something about Texas being big I guess.

Comment

Can't wait to try the revamped menu in a couple of months
          www.jamboeveryone.com
          Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

sigpic

Comment

I actually liked the old bread better than the stuff they hand you when you walk in now. But, that's just me. I never had the pineapple desert, but my brother and sister in law love it. We've asked for it the last three times we were there and they wouldn't give it to us. Maybe we just had bad servers?

Regardless, we always love O'hana.
            -Tim

Comment

hmmmm.....I might have to try it now. We've only had breakfast there before. Since, the dinner sounded bland and not worth it....now, I could go for some shrimp!

Comment

Originally posted by TDLFAN View Post
                Danno is still bigger than the two of us. Something about Texas being big I guess.
                I prefer "husky".

Originally posted by WDW1974 View Post
                Also, since I know Danny loves it, the fresh pineappale with caramel sauce is indeed available.
                This is indeed spectacular news! I have 'Ohana scheduled for my next trip, and I just got twice as excited about it!

Comment

Originally posted by danyoung View Post
                  I prefer "husky".
                  Ha ha ha!! From the Sears catalog kid's stuff. Too funny.
                  -Tim

Comment

the pineapple/caramel was amazing
                    www.jamboeveryone.com
                    Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TDLFAN View Post
                      WDW1974, I don't think you are fat at all... certainly I am bigger than you in the waist... but the truth is... Danno is still bigger than the two of us. Something about Texas being big I guess.
                      I'm resisting the urge to start teasing TDL about his weight, last time he closed down SSE for a few extra months because of it... (something about him sitting on the track and it broke...)

But I am glad to hear O'Hana's has gotten better, we went there over Thanksgiving week last year and it was horrible compared to previous visits. The salad was quite frankly the best part of the meal, even the lapulapu was bad and leaked out the bottom on the table and I was not given the option of another drink. Bad show all around. The CM did mention that the shrimp and all where coming back apparently ever time they change chef's the new chef wants to change things and well change is not always good... But I'll give them another chance next trip.
                      Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

Comment

Originally posted by Jerren View Post
                        But I am glad to hear O'Hana's has gotten better...
                        Sorry, but it's a pet peeve, gotta do it - it's not "O'hana's", like an Irish bar. It's 'Ohana, as in "Let's go to 'Ohana for dinner tonight!"

Comment

It's not Nordstroms or Tiffanys either, but you'll never get some people to ever use the names correctly.
                          -Tim

Comment

Don't be sorry Dan. it just goes to show why Disney has to "dumb" everything. Most guests are too stupid to even pronounce the names of the restaurants correctly let alone appreciate the food that was once served there.

Comment

I just like to eat the good food there, I could care less how they spell the name.

Comment

I'm not calling anyone stupid, nor should you, ti2gr (hey, now I get that handle!). As far as spelling the name of something, it's just that people haven't been shown the correct way yet. And a restaurant like 'Ohana does sound kinda Irish. Everyone knows it's a polynesian place, but it's easy to screw up the spelling.

As to the quality and variety of the food being dumbed down, I'm afraid I have to agree with you there. Again, it's not cuz people are stupid - it's just that they're not used to going outside of their own homegrown comfort zone. They pay the big bucks for the exotic restaurant and complain because they can't get a cheeseburger or a chicken fried steak. Heck, even the Denny's back home can give you a cheeseburger or a chicken fried steak! They just have no concept of international cuisine. And when restaurant personnel have to fight day after day with these folks, there comes a time when it's just easier to put a $24 cheeseburger on the Chefs de France menu.

And this situation has only been strengthened by the Disney Dining Plan. Now you have hordes of folks who were previously happy with Disney fast food swarming over the fine dining locations and demanding food that they're familiar with. I really don't have any problem with Disney adding some simpler fare to the menus to keep these folks happy. But I do have a big problem with ALL of the entrees being dumbed down and the selection of entrees greatly shortened. I mean, the Coral Reef with only SEVEN entrees, and only 3 of them are seafood? Unacceptable.

Comment

Originally posted by SummerInFL View Post
                                  I just like to eat the good food there...
                                  Me too, especially since I just found out that you can now get the pineapple with caramel dipping sauce for dessert again! YIPPPEEEEEE & drool!!!

Comment

I'm going to be so happy to have the pineapple and caramel. I do wish that menus weren't dumbed down too. I like to try something new and exciting. I don't want to see a burger on a menu where it doesn't belong except for maybe a kids menu at most since some are picky (my son though is willing to try any type of food and he love Japanese). Speaking of 'Ohanas makes me want to go to the Brazillian BBQ near my home with it's 18 meats.

Comment

Ooo the changes sound so amazing! I worked at 'Ohana in 2006, and I thought it was amazing then!! Then again, I was a starving CP, so anything that wasn't Ramen was totally gourmet.

When I was there, the chefs were always really willing to accomodate special needs or just special requests. People used to request the pineapple all the time in place of the bread pudding, and it never seemed to be an issue. Same with getting stuff from Kona - the kitchens are connected, so it was really easy.
                                      All you need is love...
                                      but a Chanel bag is a glorious substitute!
                                      Disneyland: 1991 (Disneyland Hotel), 1994 (Disneyland Hotel), 1996 (Disneyland Hotel), 1998 (Disneyland Pacific Hotel) 2002 (Off Property), 2005 (Paradise Pier).
                                      Walt Disney World: 2000 (Polynesian Resort)
                                      College Program May-September 2006, FSF&B, Polynesian Resort.

Comment

So you're saying that you could get the pineapple with the caramel dipping sauce as far back as 2006? Geez, have I ever been missing out!

Comment

Working...
                                        X