Announcement

Collapse
See more
See less

'Ohana means Danny's Going to Eat a lot!

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epcotcore
    replied
    Re: 'Ohana means Danny's Going to Eat a lot!

Ohana is GREAT! The only bad part of the new menu is they removed the chips that they served with the dipping sauces and replaced it with the same bread from the Spirit of Aloha. :thumbdown

Leave a comment:

• danyoung
    replied

Originally posted by Labuda View Post
    Great news, Spirit! Do me a favor and email or call or text me if you're by any chance going to be at WDW between the 29th of March and 3rd of April...
    Labuda, it looks like I'm gonna miss you by a day this year, dangit!

Leave a comment:

• jkayjs
    replied

<<The lousy sausage is gone. Real shrimp are back.>>

Thanks for the tip Spirit. My husband always liked going till they switched. I guarantee it will be one of our first stops next trip.

BTW Ann have a great time.

Leave a comment:

• TDLFAN
    replied

Labuda.. PM on the way.

Leave a comment:

• Labuda
    replied

Great news, Spirit! Do me a favor and email or call or text me if you're by any chance going to be at WDW between the 29th of March and 3rd of April - I'd love to get together with you if you're going to be around.

In the meantimne, maybe I need to see if I can find someone to eat at 'Ohana with - haven't been since 2004 when I had a lovely meal there with my beloved and a few friends.

Leave a comment:

• halltd
    replied

I've asked for it on several occasions and been refused each and every time. They always say, "I'm sorry, but that's not our dessert any longer."

Leave a comment:

• Jerren
    replied

Originally posted by danyoung View Post
    So you're saying that you could get the pineapple with the caramel dipping sauce as far back as 2006? Geez, have I ever been missing out!

Yeah it used to be the standard "complementary" dessert. And I apologize for butchering the name, I blame my Scotch-Irish heritage and Firefox's spell checker.

Leave a comment:

• danyoung
    replied

So you're saying that you could get the pineapple with the caramel dipping sauce as far back as 2006? Geez, have I ever been missing out!

Leave a comment:

• leiliyah
    replied

Ooo the changes sound so amazing! I worked at 'Ohana in 2006, and I thought it was amazing then!! Then again, I was a starving CP, so anything that wasn't Ramen was totally gourmet.

When I was there, the chefs were always really willing to accomodate special needs or just special requests. People used to request the pineapple all the time in place of the bread pudding, and it never seemed to be an issue. Same with getting stuff from Kona - the kitchens are connected, so it was really easy.

Leave a comment:

• erick13
    replied

I'm going to be so happy to have the pineapple and caramel. I do wish that menus weren't dumbed down too. I like to try something new and exciting. I don't want to see a burger on a menu where it doesn't belong except for maybe a kids menu at most since some are picky (my son though is willing to try any type of food and he love Japanese). Speaking of 'Ohanas makes me want to go to the Brazillian BBQ near my home with it's 18 meats.

Leave a comment:

• danyoung
    replied

Originally posted by SummerInFL View Post
    I just like to eat the good food there...
    Me too, especially since I just found out that you can now get the pineapple with caramel dipping sauce for dessert again! YIPPPEEEEEE & drool!!!

Leave a comment:

• danyoung
    replied

I'm not calling anyone stupid, nor should you, ti2gr (hey, now I get that handle!). As far as spelling the name of something, it's just that people haven't been shown the correct way yet. And a restaurant like 'Ohana does sound kinda Irish. Everyone knows it's a polynesian place, but it's easy to screw up the spelling.

As to the quality and variety of the food being dumbed down, I'm afraid I have to agree with you there. Again, it's not cuz people are stupid - it's just that they're not used to going outside of their own homegrown comfort zone. They pay the big bucks for the exotic restaurant and complain because they can't get a cheeseburger or a chicken fried steak. Heck, even the Denny's back home can give you a cheeseburger or a chicken fried steak! They just have no concept of international cuisine. And when restaurant personnel have to fight day after day with these folks, there comes a time when it's just easier to put a $24 cheeseburger on the Chefs de France menu.

And this situation has only been strengthened by the Disney Dining Plan. Now you have hordes of folks who were previously happy with Disney fast food swarming over the fine dining locations and demanding food that they're familiar with. I really don't have any problem with Disney adding some simpler fare to the menus to keep these folks happy. But I do have a big problem with ALL of the entrees being dumbed down and the selection of entrees greatly shortened. I mean, the Coral Reef with only SEVEN entrees, and only 3 of them are seafood? Unacceptable.

Leave a comment:

• SummerInFL
    replied

I just like to eat the good food there, I could care less how they spell the name.

Leave a comment:

• ti2gr
    replied

Don't be sorry Dan. it just goes to show why Disney has to "dumb" everything. Most guests are too stupid to even pronounce the names of the restaurants correctly let alone appreciate the food that was once served there.

Leave a comment:

• halltd
    replied

It's not Nordstroms or Tiffanys either, but you'll never get some people to ever use the names correctly.

Leave a comment:

• danyoung
    replied

Originally posted by Jerren View Post
    But I am glad to hear O'Hana's has gotten better...
    Sorry, but it's a pet peeve, gotta do it - it's not "O'hana's", like an Irish bar. It's 'Ohana, as in "Let's go to 'Ohana for dinner tonight!"

Leave a comment:

• Jerren
    replied

Originally posted by TDLFAN View Post
    WDW1974, I don't think you are fat at all... certainly I am bigger than you in the waist... but the truth is... Danno is still bigger than the two of us. Something about Texas being big I guess.
    I'm resisting the urge to start teasing TDL about his weight, last time he closed down SSE for a few extra months because of it... (something about him sitting on the track and it broke...)

But I am glad to hear O'Hana's has gotten better, we went there over Thanksgiving week last year and it was horrible compared to previous visits. The salad was quite frankly the best part of the meal, even the lapulapu was bad and leaked out the bottom on the table and I was not given the option of another drink. Bad show all around. The CM did mention that the shrimp and all where coming back apparently ever time they change chef's the new chef wants to change things and well change is not always good... But I'll give them another chance next trip.

Leave a comment:

• MJMcB
    replied

the pineapple/caramel was amazing

Leave a comment:

• halltd
    replied

Originally posted by danyoung View Post
    I prefer "husky".
    Ha ha ha!! From the Sears catalog kid's stuff. Too funny.

Leave a comment:

• danyoung
    replied

Originally posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Danno is still bigger than the two of us. Something about Texas being big I guess.
    I prefer "husky".

Originally posted by WDW1974 View Post
    Also, since I know Danny loves it, the fresh pineappale with caramel sauce is indeed available.
    This is indeed spectacular news! I have 'Ohana scheduled for my next trip, and I just got twice as excited about it!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X