X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Future of the Speedway

Originally posted by halltd View Post
    ^ Well, Autopia is by default a different attraction. It's supposed to be themed around driving across the country. The Speedway is supposed to be just that - a race track. So, splitting the road and sending people off in different directions really wouldn't be a "speedway" now would it?
    now that would be interesting. it would make nascar almost interesting. almost.
    www.jamboeveryone.com
    Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

sigpic

Comment

Thankfully the Speedway isn't a NASCAR track or it would REALLY be boring.
      -Tim

Comment

I don't see why it couldn't just be "Autopia" in MK. They can make fake futuristic cities for you to drive through. And it can light up at night. Or heck build half of it indoors so they can really add some life to it.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
        http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
        http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

Originally posted by halltd View Post
          Thankfully the Speedway isn't a NASCAR track or it would REALLY be boring.
          you could say that again, brother. Although it is rather dull as is anyway
          www.jamboeveryone.com

sigpic

Comment

There is no reason the attraction can not remain the "Speedway" and be more intricate. There are road courses that involve twists and turns (anybody ever been to Laguna Seca and seen the Corkscrew?). There are also races that take place on actual city streets.

Comment

Originally posted by lazyboy97O View Post
              There is no reason the attraction can not remain the "Speedway" and be more intricate.
              Speedways don't really fit into the Tommorrowland idea. Plus, thats a lot of space that could be used
              www.jamboeveryone.com

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MJMcB View Post
                Speedways don't really fit into the Tommorrowland idea. Plus, thats a lot of space that could be used
                Speedway can mean a lot of things! It can be the freeway of the future! It can be whatever they want!

I definitely thinks it needs a major face lift. I saw it back in october and it was ugly and the fumes were getting to me.

Comment

Take a look at the trailers for Speed Racer. Something in that direction could be very interesting. The biggest issue is the "speed" in Speedway.

Comment

Originally posted by lazyboy97O View Post
                    Take a look at the trailers for Speed Racer. Something in that direction could be very interesting. The biggest issue is the "speed" in Speedway.
                    Now you're thinking!

What if they recreated the super speed tunnel (like the one on the people mover) for one section of track? Wind machines, sounds, speeding film all around you.... it could be a cool effect!

how about a TRONtopia?

A guy can dream...

Comment

Well.. when the idea of Tomorrowland was being hatched back in the early 50s, freeways were seen as something we would see a lot of in the future, and with a notion of the World being "on the go", which is why Walt chose to have that there. Of course, there is nothing futuristic about speedways anymore.. but that ride has been a staple of Tomorrowland since day 1.

I would much prefer the shut down the real speedway they built next to the parking lot and returned that area to the nice forresty spot it used to be.

Comment

Originally posted by TDLFAN View Post
                        Well.. when the idea of Tomorrowland was being hatched back in the early 50s, freeways were seen as something we would see a lot of in the future, and with a notion of the World being "on the go", which is why Walt chose to have that there. Of course, there is nothing futuristic about speedways anymore.. but that ride has been a staple of Tomorrowland since day 1.

I would much prefer the shut down the real speedway they built next to the parking lot and returned that area to the nice forresty spot it used to be.
                        its been a staple of Tomorrowland, true. Its been dull since Day 1
                        www.jamboeveryone.com

sigpic

Comment

its been a staple of Tomorrowland, true. Its been dull since Day 1
                          Agreed, it's dull. But it goes with Walt's philosophy of an attraction where Family members can have fun together. Not everything at Disney parks have to be a freaking thrill ride or E-ticket. Personally, at this point in time, a TL without a Grand Prix Raceway (yes, the original name of the ride from 1971) is an incomplete TL. Reason why it exists at ALL 5 tomorrowlands on Earth, and as dull as it is.. there is always a lenghty line for it. So apparently is not dull for a portion of guests visiting the park.

Comment

"Tomorrowland Indy Speedway" is such a stupid name. I call it "Autopia" ...while most regular guests refer to it as "the cars". Most of the time it has a ridiculously long wait and is a big dull, boring waste of time. It takes up a huge chunk of MK's limited land and I wouldnt miss it if they completely got rid of it and put something else there. At least re-theme it to be more futuristic and have less of a generic speedway feel and make the tracks at least slightly interesting.

Comment

Agreed, it's dull. But it goes with Walt's philosophy of an attraction where Family members can have fun together.
                              Just because Walt would have liked it doesn't mean they shouldn't bulldoze it
                              www.jamboeveryone.com

sigpic

Comment

Just because Walt would have liked it doesn't mean they shouldn't bulldoze it
                                True. The current management has bulldozed just about everything that made WDW special (like clean shaven faces and parks, physically waiting your turn in line, costumes that were never seen shopping at our public malls, and innovative e-ticket rides that the whole family can ride together...) so why not bulldoze the Grand Prix too? Or better yet! The Clueless management that's in it for the money they can make as opposed to the magic they could be offering spontaneaously instead of thru silly promotional efforts like YOMD!!

See what you have done? Now I can't stop myself!!

Comment

Originally posted by WDWizard View Post
                                  It takes up a huge chunk of MK's limited land
                                  i'm sorry but Mk does not have limited land, now disneyland, talk about a tight squeeze. MK has land between the northern section of the train and fantasyland.

as for the speedway, yes it is found in many disney parks but I think it could be more of an "Autopia" than a "Grand Prix." and although a speedway, or more accurately a freeway, was a futuristic idea back then, but in the present there's nothing futuristic. i like the idea of going through futuristic cities with lights at night, also defintely should run on electric. in addition there should be just scenes going through tress and nature like the DL autopia. but really i think a lot more technology can go into not only this speedway but Autopias and Speedways in all disney parks. these attractions have the potential to be great rides for the whole family.

Comment

True. The current management has bulldozed just about everything that made WDW special (like clean shaven faces and parks, physically waiting your turn in line, costumes that were never seen shopping at our public malls, and innovative e-ticket rides that the whole family can ride together...) so why not bulldoze the Grand Prix too? Or better yet! The Clueless management that's in it for the money they can make as opposed to the magic they could be offering spontaneaously instead of thru silly promotional efforts like YOMD!!

See what you have done? Now I can't stop myself!!
                                    The only thing I disagree with is that the Speedway makes MK special. I don't think that at all.
                                    www.jamboeveryone.com

sigpic

Comment

The only thing I disagree with is that the Speedway makes MK special. I don't think that at all.
                                      I don't recall saying that either.

But off topic here.. I wonder what has happened to that brit lad Speedway who used to post here as often as me...Hmmm..

Comment

I don't recall saying that either.

But off topic here.. I wonder what has happened to that brit lad Speedway who used to post here as often as me...Hmmm..

No. You said "the current management has bulldozed everything that made WDW special....so why not the Grand Prix too?"
                                        www.jamboeveryone.com

sigpic

Comment

I think the Speedway makes the MK special. My nephews absolutely adore it. They drug me on it and I have to say I had a great time "racing" with the whole family. My mom also has a picture of me riding it when I was a wee one and that brings back awesome memories of trips with my family.

I'm a huge adrenaline junky and travel the world riding the tallest, fastest, steepest roller coasters and thrill rides that exist. But, that isn't what Disney was or should be in the future. I can't ride a 420' tall 120 mph roller coaster with my two little nephews (or most of my family for that matter). That's why we go to Disney all the time.

I think some people on here (and those who visit the parks) have lost the magic so to speak. The classic Disney attractions are more than just technical specs. They're about the experience you have with you and your family or friends. Basically, you make them enjoyable. So, if you don't have fun on the Speedway, maybe you should be visiting Six Flags.

One of my friends works the Speedway, and I watched him in action one day while I was visiting the park. The sheer joy on little kids' (and their driving partners') faces as they "drive" the cars around the track is reason enough to keep the Speedway. Spruce it up, convert the cars to electric, plus it up a little, sure. But, bulldoze it for another movie tie-in that doesn't "fit" is just wrong.
                                          -Tim

Comment

Working...
                                          X